I am keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used rectifier, or jcm 800, but untill i found one, I was thinking of getting a dist. pedal for my current solid-state. But I was going to wait till I got my new amp, and pick up an overdrive.

My question is will the dist still work with the tube amps? So if i buy the dist. now, i won't HAVE to replace later? What would be different? Would it worsen the sound on a tube amp?

Sorry for noob questions, but thanks in advance
well any distortion petal sounds better with a tube amp, every tube amp i owned, any distortion petals always sounded warmer with a tube amp, and just ok with a solid state.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
John Frusciante used a DS-1, Big Muff, DS-2, and one or two other distortion pedals over the years. Even a boss fuzz (not the new one) long ago. All with a great tube amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
If it gives you a point of reference, a lot of Satriani's "Surfing With The Alien" album was recorded with a Boss DS-1 into a Roland Jazz Chorus. He still uses the DS-1 to this day even with his signature JSX amps.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah, you can use a distortion with a tube amp. Its just some people say it may color the tone too much but it should be fine for when you get a tube amp.

:sigh:

Most pedals are SUPPOSED to color tone, tell them that.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
:sigh:

Most pedals are SUPPOSED to color tone, tell them that.

Yeah but for distortion/od lots of times people want to keep the character of their tube amp and have it not sound so much like just the pedal. Like when they want transparent od's i guess.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah but for distortion/od lots of times people want to keep the character of their tube amp and have it not sound so much like just the pedal. Like when they want transparent od's i guess.

Well, see, that makes no sense then. The pedal would change the tone of the guitar's signal, not the amp. the amp would color the tone of the pedal in turn. The only thing the pedal would do to color the amp's tone is by increasing the level of the signal.

Even transparent ODs change the tone, therefore coloring it. Adding fizz, removing fizz, darkening tone, brightening it up, adding grit, adding bass, or mids, or highs, that's al part of coloring tone.

SAdly, people put too much faith in "transparent" pedals. If the pedal won't do anything to your tone, why even use it?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 19, 2007,
Yeah i think i see. But if you had a pedal that added gain and nothing else that wouldn't really be changing the tone just the level of the signal right? Well i guess you said that lol,
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah i think i see. But if you had a pedal that added gain and nothing else that wouldn't really be changing the tone just the level of the signal right? Well i guess you said that lol,

Well, depends on what gain you're talking about.

Signal gain is just making it louder, which inturn would drive the preamp harder, and cause it to clip harder, coloring the tone.

Adding distortion/gritty type of gain is still coloring the tone somewhat.

I have a Fulltone ocd, and I'd say it colors the guitar tone considerably less than most other pedals, but colors theamp wonderfully, because it has so much signal gain.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

yes. But if the pedal itself clips, it does more then just add gain. A pedal that increased the level without clipping wouldn't alter the guitars tone, however a distortion pedal does more then just make it louder. it distorts before it ever hits the amp. So a perfectly transparent OD wouldn't color the guitars tone at all, because all it is is making it louder.
Quote by Kino123
yes. But if the pedal itself clips, it does more then just add gain. A pedal that increased the level without clipping wouldn't alter the guitars tone, however a distortion pedal does more then just make it louder. it distorts before it ever hits the amp. So a perfectly transparent OD wouldn't color the guitars tone at all, because all it is is making it louder.

But that's a boost, and no longer and OD pedal. Overdrive, by definition, is soft clipping.

Yes, I already said that distortion pedals would colour the guitar's tone, but not the amp's tone, which was what yoyodunno was talking about.

However, I was speaking about OVERALL tone when I said that most pedals will color your tone. Everything in your signal chain will do something.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 20, 2007,
Quote by yoyodunno

my main amp is a tube amp. does nothing but clean. it adds a beautiful character to any dirt box i use in front of it. no matter what filthy cheap-o or expensive handwired thing i load, it still FEELS like my amp and i can still hear that special quality it has.

that whole distortion/od myth was just perpetuated by RETARDS. you can use whatever box with whatever the hell you want. as long as you like how it sounds is the only thing that matters. im using transistor distortions and overdrives, clean boosts, tube based pedals through tube, solid state, hybrid, digital modelling amps and i can get fantastic sounds from any combination of the above.

overdrive not working with solid state amps? i cant believe some of the trash that is generated on this forum.
lots of the feeble-minded sheep on this board who seem to think the only combination that works for tone is a fulltone OCD into an Orange or something along those lines.

oh well, they keep the market semi-cheap. one thing i can say the ignorance has had a positive impact on.
Quote by TehJermie
lots of the feeble-minded sheep on this board who seem to think the only combination that works for tone is a fulltone OCD into an Orange or something along those lines. .

We must find the source of this problem...

<_<

>_>

Where'd that Jinskee run off too?
Ben
Quote by TehJermie
lots of the feeble-minded sheep on this board who seem to think the only combination that works for tone is a fulltone OCD into an Orange or something along those lines.

oh well, they keep the market semi-cheap. one thing i can say the ignorance has had a positive impact on.

Clearly you get teh uber 1337 tonez using an OCD and a VJ!!!

On topic, you can use pretty much every pedal on pretty much every amp. It's all up to YOU what sounds good.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by TwoString
If it gives you a point of reference, a lot of Satriani's "Surfing With The Alien" album was recorded with a Boss DS-1 into a Roland Jazz Chorus. He still uses the DS-1 to this day even with his signature JSX amps.

If you look at the Satriani GuitarGeek page, its says he says that the DS-1 is the key element to his tone

www.guitargeek.com
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Guitar Geek hasn't been updated in years lol.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I like it because everything looks pretty
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by aznrockerdude
Guitar Geek hasn't been updated in years lol.

That's what the Artist Gear Thread is for, silly!
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
We must find the source of this problem...

<_<

>_>

Where'd that Jinskee run off too?

I bought an orange and an OCD. What issue did I cause?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R