Hi, I'm new to playing electric guitar, and I want a setup that will allow me to hookup my guitar to a computer so I can record and play around with stuff that I play. What kind of equipment would I need to do this? Any hardware for the computer would need to be compatible with a laptop, so Expresscard, USB, or Firewire interfaces only. Also, is it at all feasible to have the sound play through standard 5.1 computer speakers?
you can go to ebay, target, walmart, or your local music store and get a 1/4" guitar cable to usb. this site, here, can get you the software to record
Thanks for the advice. Are there advantages or disadvantages to using USB instead of line-in on a sound card? How does the model of the sound card affect the sound?
I've been experimenting with that for a while, and I can definitely say USB devices are better than using the line-in. If you do use the line-in, it's mandatory that you have some sort of preamp between the guitar and the soundcard.

Also, computer speakers (5.1 or otherwise) sound slightly differently from amp speakers, since an amp tends to better emphasize the frequency range of the guitar (since that's what it's built for).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Well, in that case, what type of cable do I need to output from the soundcard to an amp? Does the type of soundcard matter?
Unless you have a really good soundcard, it'd be a much better idea to get a USB/Firewire interface.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
the line in will guarenteed suck, I believe the guitar is in too high a frequency or something? I dont remember, but someone told me it cant handle a guitar to well. And i've tried it, sounds bad. I bought an audio interface to record for 200 dollars with 2 inputs and a other stuff. But mine has the phantom power to support recording mics so you might not need that. You could probally get one for like 100.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

How do the USB interfaces work with the computer? Can I use any software I like with them? Why do I not need a preamp with these, but I need one using line-in.

Quote by feltgrape
the line in will guarenteed suck, I believe the guitar is in too high a frequency or something? I dont remember, but someone told me it cant handle a guitar to well. And i've tried it, sounds bad. I bought an audio interface to record for 200 dollars with 2 inputs and a other stuff. But mine has the phantom power to support recording mics so you might not need that. You could probally get one for like 100.

I guess I'll go with a basic USB one to begin with, but if I want more advanced recording features will an audio interface such as yours be good?
I've noticed that some amps have a line-out. How is the sound quality if I connect the line-out of an amp to the line-in of a soundcard? I can avoid the issue of faulty drivers this way, which seems to be prevalent on Windows Vista, especially the 64bit version which I use; some audio interfaces don't even have drivers for Vista 64.