ive been playing for 3 years and im 12 and ive come up with a rock bass line for the notes E|D|G|C| and i want to so what type of lines everyone else would come up with to see if my line is unqiue enough for our song so if you could please brop me a line
im sure that has been used numerous times before man, but it doesnt really matter
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
4 counts per note? And why don't you post yours up? This makes me think you're just trying to get us to write it for you, but none-to-less:

E
G----------------------------------------------19----12h14/16-14b-------------------------------------|
D----------------------------------------------0~~~~~~~~~~0~~~-----17----------14~~~~---|
A----------11/12h14p12/11-----------------------------------------------------14h15---------------|
E-12h14-------------------------14~-12---------------------------------15---------------------------|

C
G-------------------17-----|
D----------15p14-----17-|
A-15--17--------------15-|
E----------------------------|

Something like that probabally, hit it in the pocket with the drummer and voila! You got yours self some bass.

EDIT: Fixed the 18 to a 17 should sound better now.
Last edited by FbSa at Nov 19, 2007,
mine was

G|-9--7-----------------------12--11--------11---12--14-------14--12--10-------|
D|--------9--7-----------12-------------12------------------10-----------------------|
A|-----------------10--------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
thats all each note one beat
your post doens't make much sense at all. it sounds like you're looking for some free bass lines that you can impress your friends with...

here's one:

G------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E----0-------3------5-----0----3-----6---5-------0------3------5-----3 -----0------------------------|

show your friends.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by AccidentsHappen
your post doens't make much sense at all. it sounds like you're looking for some free bass lines that you can impress your friends with...

here's one:

G------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E----0-------3------5-----0----3-----6---5-------0------3------5-----3 -----0------------------------|

show your friends.

my band plays smoke on the water and yes i do just need a sweet bass line to show off because bass players get no credit and i need a solo ive tried towrite them but thay always just sound messed up
Last edited by monsterfreak204 at Nov 19, 2007,
Smoke on the Water isn't really the song to show off. Also, as a bass player you need to make peace with the fact that the public won't give you any credit and understand that you have to be in it for the music (unless you happen to be getting paid, which is unlikely). Showing off for the sake of showing off is for guitarists.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I've gotta say, that's pretty low. You're too lazy to write your own solos so you're having a bunch of people on an internet forum write some for you?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
I can just imagine the members of Pink Floyd coming on forums when they were younger and posting "We have this song called "Wish You Were Here", but can someone write a solo for it? Thanks" lol. Ah, how times have changed with the internet.

Man, that's the joy in music/composing. Staying up 'til sunrise with a few ideas in your mind, you can hear them but are struggling to make your instrument reflect them.

Back on topic. I struggled for years trying to understand how a solo (guitar/bass/keyboard/any instrument) worked in a song, let alone create one myself. Then I joined here, read all about music theory, printed it off and sat with my bass for hours. Even lying in bed I would challenge myself to remember a scale, i would hear the notes in my mind and tried to work out the relationship between. I'm still a noob at it, but that's the fun, the struggle. Those nights of almost giving up because it's so confusing then piece by piece it starts to make sense.

.....I feel like a leader giving a motivational speech to his troops before a war lol.
Wow.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
If you've been playing for 3 years you should be able to write your own solo for a 4 chord progression.

Ive been playing for 6 months and Ive been capable of doing that and maybe alittle more.
Quote by dmntr
If you've been playing for 3 years you should be able to write your own solo for a 4 chord progression.

Ive been playing for 6 months and Ive been capable of doing that and maybe alittle more.

And I'm 40cm long.

On another note, do not lie on the internet. Both of you.
The jazz student
^Really, mines more like 40m's long. Wierd...

Anywho, I don't think he's trying to get people to write it for him, even though his title clearly says, "I need a bassline" But he did show us... something he used... I find it easier just to appease them and put something I diddaled in like 20 seconds and post it up. Which I sorta like what I wrote. I might even use that in one of our songs.

Steal his progression, use a five second line I came up with, steal some lyrics from that forum... HEY, I"M FOB!!!
Quote by Mongoose87
Smoke on the Water isn't really the song to show off. Also, as a bass player you need to make peace with the fact that the public won't give you any credit and understand that you have to be in it for the music (unless you happen to be getting paid, which is unlikely). Showing off for the sake of showing off is for guitarists.

well... not entirely true...

why can't bassist's solo? and be in the front?

You shouldn't stick to just the roots!! Put some harmonics above it which follow the melody of the voice or something...
that's what I love though (kinda stolen from A Change of Seasons)
Quote by jazz_croatia
And I'm 40cm long.

On another note, do not lie on the internet. Both of you.

I didnt realize that was something exceptionally impressive. I wasnt saying I can outdo portrait of tracy. I dont see why coming up with a simple solo to a 4 chord progression would be so easily tagged as lying.

Whatever floats your boat.
Quote by sidious
well... not entirely true...

why can't bassist's solo? and be in the front?

You shouldn't stick to just the roots!! Put some harmonics above it which follow the melody of the voice or something...
that's what I love though (kinda stolen from A Change of Seasons)

I hate sticking to the roots, but I'm not expecting my fancy basslines to get noticed in a classic rock cover-band situation. It just doesn't happen.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
i'm agreeing with eaton here, if you can't write your own basslines with 3 years of playing under your belt then theres something seriously wrong with how you practice.

i'd also like to add that, if you use any of the basslines here and you take credit for it, (which you undoubtedly will because come on who is gonna say they asked some guys on a forum to write it for them when asked about it) then you suck simple as that, you don't deserve that credit and you know it.

also if you make any amount of money from a gig where you play that bassline the user you took from can demand performance royalties from you.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
u guys and girls are right im going to sit down and write i got like half of it done its pretty good so peace
Quote by Mongoose87

Firstly, learn smoke on the water. It is actually a really good bassline that doesn't follow the guitar line at all.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Try This

Haha that was great.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife