Hey, just thought i would talk about the John Mayer Strat.

Im thinking of getting, not the special edition minc green but the three tone, and was wondering, is the case any good i heard it was just a gig bag, i was thinking of upgrading to a tweed case.

is the john mayer one any good, i can only find info about the one that comes with the special edition.

and has anyone customized theirs and if so any ideas?
In my opinion it's wasteful to buy an Eric Johnson or a John Mayer strat when most of the $1,500+ goes for the paint job. It would be far more cost efficient to buy an American strat for $700 and mod it for another couple hundred to get exactly what you want.

Then when you get super good and sell a million albums, Fender will sell your Signature model and people will spend heinous amounts of money for something you made for cheap.
I'm interested in the JM strat as well, so I might try one in my next trip to GC. I'll report if it's amazing. I think the two John Mayer sigs are the same. The biggest difference I see from the normal strats is the pickups, which you can't buy anywhere else, though you could get someone to make similar ones for you. I just wish it had a nitro finish, I want any $1500 pieces of gear to age nicely.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
The JM strat liked by some and hated by others.

It's basically an SRV strat with different pickups and painting. Meaning it has a beefy, almost fully D shaped neck, large frets and a rosewood fretboard. The pickups are "scooped" single coils, meaning they're underwound and therefore quite trebley. They don't overdrive the pre-amp of an amplifier very well on their own, so if you want higher gain, more midrangy tones, you're going to need a tube screamer or something of the sort.

Try it out. Buy it only if you love it, because you can get an American strat serires with aftermarket custom pickups for at least $500-600 cheaper.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
my friend has the JM strat and i dont care for it. the pickups dont cut it for anything besides mellow soundin stuff.
I'd get it and switch the pickups out, because I love the finsh and neck. It'd be nicer if it was nitro, but it is a great guitar with a fabulose neck.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Darth_Queso
I'm interested in the JM strat as well, so I might try one in my next trip to GC. I'll report if it's amazing. I think the two John Mayer sigs are the same. The biggest difference I see from the normal strats is the pickups, which you can't buy anywhere else, though you could get someone to make similar ones for you. I just wish it had a nitro finish, I want any $1500 pieces of gear to age nicely.

yea i just bought one, got it for 1400 with tweed case and free tune ups(not really needed but nice ), great guitar great feel, great sound, ive got an sg i use for heavier stuff, might just switch the bridge for a seymour but otherwise great guitar, wouldnt pay 2100 for it but if u can find it for like 1600 or so its great, yea i wish it had nitro though
the full D shaped neck is probably because he has massive hands. and you know what that means.
Quote by leeej
the full D shaped neck is probably because he has massive hands. and you know what that means.

Yeah, he is awesome at thumb wrestling.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
^^ he has large fingernails?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!