good morning ladies and gents,

ultra pickup noob here. just purhcased a 98 ibanez rg500 in great condition but am wanting to swap the pups over asap.

i only have enough $$ for 1 pickup swap atm. solely looking at shredding/metal/satriani style stuff.

options are the sh-13 dimebucker, emg-81 and emg-85.

could you please suggest which pickup would be best suited to my style and guitar, and WHICH location (neck/bridge) i should replace first.

if you dont mind, could you also suggest future pickup upgrades over my stock ones when i get the $$.

also, i am getting each of the above for AU$150 which comes to about US$160 with the strong aussie dollar atm... is this a good price?

cheers
sameer
Last edited by dh0licious at Nov 19, 2007,
What amp do you have?

It's not really a good idea to mix active pickups and passive pickups.

The Dimebucker is pretty horrible .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
http://www.guitarheads.net/
I would suggest looking at guitarhead's pickups $80 for the set about the same as one EMG.
Never tried them myself but other people say they're pretty good. Otherwise go with the EMG 81 in the bridge for metal/shredding.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
haha this thread is gonig to take you all back to thevery basics. i know nothing

i played guitar for 2 years when i was 13-15, then stopped cos i had a sh1t guitar and no $$. im 20 now and NEED to start shredding a fter watching satriani, vai, EVH etc etc for past 6 months. so i got myself a nice used rg550 on the bay.

so problem is i dont even know what you mean by active/passive pickups.

in terms of amp, i have a sh1tty ashton from my first guitar [a yamaha eg-303 incase anyones wondering (i used to be so proud of saying the model number when i was young, made me look pro @ 14)]. i am looking at perhaps a roland cube 30 used? any other suggestions for a price range $250 and under?

thanks alot guys, appreciate it.
Last edited by dh0licious at Nov 19, 2007,
The Roland Cube 30x is a solid amp for the price.

EMGs are active pickups (they use a battery to boost output).

With that guitar and that amp; I really wouldn't worry about uprading pickups.

If you really need to change something, take a look at GFS pickups.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
okay, you got an Ibanez, and you play metal, shred, and satriani stuff. Why not try some DiMarzios?
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Roland Cube 30x is a solid amp for the price.

EMGs are active pickups (they use a battery to boost output).

With that guitar and that amp; I really wouldn't worry about uprading pickups.

If you really need to change something, take a look at GFS pickups.

thanks for the info.

so how often and how do u change the batteries on active pickups? isnt it a nuisane?

anyway i guess i will give the pups a miss then for the time being until i upgrade the cube 30 (which ofcourse i havn't even gotten yet). judging by the amount of $$ you guys are spending on your gear (e.g. 5150 ftw!!), it sure does seem silly to spend >$150 for a pickup on a guitar that costs $500 with an amp less than half that price.

so cube 30 the way to go then in terms of amp?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
okay, you got an Ibanez, and you play metal, shred, and satriani stuff. Why not try some DiMarzios?

didnt think of the option. probably going to give pups a miss for the time being, but for future ref what dimarzio's would suit my budget/style ?
Quote by dh0licious
thanks for the info.

so how often and how do u change the batteries on active pickups? isnt it a nuisane?

anyway i guess i will give the pups a miss then for the time being until i upgrade the cube 30 (which ofcourse i havn't even gotten yet). judging by the amount of $$ you guys are spending on your gear (e.g. 5150 ftw!!), it sure does seem silly to spend >$150 for a pickup on a guitar that costs $500 with an amp less than half that price.

so cube 30 the way to go then in terms of amp?

The batteries last a long time as long as you unplug the guitar cable when you aren't using it .

Cube 30x ftw.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by dh0licious
didnt think of the option. probably going to give pups a miss for the time being, but for future ref what dimarzio's would suit my budget/style ?

Pretty much anything. You could go with Satch's set if you dig his vibe, or Evos if you're more of a Vai kinda guy. For shred though, i'd look at the Super Distortion, Air Norton, Tone Zone, PAF Pro, Norton, Evo, and Evo...there's a bunch of others. From what i've heard (literally), DiMarzios are pretty damned versatile. look at their website, youtube, and anything else that can give you a good sample, and experiment. But definitely check out the ones i mentioned.
FTW = For the win.

Aka...

Buy it.
Quote by utsapp89
Dimarzio Breed or Paf Pro in the bridge.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by FacingUsAll
FTW = For the win.

Aka...

Buy it.

LOL... goes to show how much an e-nerd i am. in some other dark holes on the web, ftw=wtf backwards, but is a noob way of saying it. but it still effectively means the same thing.. i.e "wtf"

can be manifested into other forms such as ¿ftw