i play both acoustic and electric started on acoustic bout 5 months ago and instead of calluses i have like these lines etched into my fingers and they look like they've been pulverized or something.
Give it time young grasshopper. The calluses will attack when they feel they can hurt you the most.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
You haven't tore your fingers open yet, have you?

Usually you get calluses from the strings grinding the skin on your fingers raw, and tougher skin forming over that. Something like that.

So if your fingers don't entirely grind along the strings, just that one little strip of skin, that's the only part that's gonna get damaged.

I just started playing some metal **** with a bunch of bends and slides, tore my fingers up real quick.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
it takes awhile and depends on how much you play.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
i play like 2 hours a day
they dont hurt at all though
also waht is this chord called

basically cadd9 without the pinkie
If your fingers don't hurt then don't complain; calluses form to stop pain and if your fingers don't hurt then you obviously don't need calluses. On the other hand if you want to form calluses: play bass!

That chord is Caddb9 (that's C add flat nine).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've been playing for 4 days, the tips of my fingers are sore and red and very sensitive. I'm on a laptop which is kinda hot and it even hurts when I type because they're sensitive to the heat coming through the key, lol. The skin is already dried up and a lot harder than on my other hand. Gotta keep on truckin' though, can't stop now :p
d3n keep at it. If you are playing acoustic, things will get easier from here. I was lucky when I started a year and a half back or so. My fingers were pretty tough and didn't really get sore. The worst I get is a little sensitivity if I slide and bend, which I do not do a lot as a jazz/classic style rock rhytmest.
Yep. Just play through the pain and the callouses will come. The best advice is to just keep playing. You'll eventually notice that your fingertips feel like you dipped them in hot wax and let it dry (IE; almost like there's a 'shell' over them). Play till it hurts, then play 5 minutes more
Quote by sloppyjoe24
You Haven't Been Rocking Hard Enough!!!

Hear, hear!

But in the end, just play more. The calluses will come. They are something to show the girls when they ask you to prove you're a rockstar.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
is getting blisters normal? i hadnt played guitar for a while (and before that on and off since april), then played on the weekend, and now ive got a good sized blister on the tip of one of my fingers.
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

Quote by Acquiescence
i play like 2 hours a day
they dont hurt at all though
also waht is this chord called

basically cadd9 without the pinkie

learn your chords man. that chord is also a cadd9. removing the pinky makes that note an e from a g, which is also a part of the cadd9 chord, so it makes no difference in terms of note.

also, i used to play master of puppets and green day with all the sliding power chords and the other good stuff on my acoustic. made neat little black furrows in all my fingers that didnt disappear till three months after i got my electric.
obviously i didnt use the acoustic for the reason that god intended
Quote by fadetowhite
learn your chords man. that chord is also a cadd9. removing the pinky makes that note an e from a g, which is also a part of the cadd9 chord, so it makes no difference in terms of note.

032020 - It's actually Caddb9

e--0--E
b--2--Db
g--0--G
d--2--E
a--3--C
e--0--E

Perhaps the op just made a typo and meant to put...
e--0--E
b--3--D
g--0--G
d--2--E
a--3--C
e--0--E
...in which case it is Cadd9
I read that it helps a lot to soak your fingers in surgical spirits for 10 minutes a day. Apparently, Clapton swears by this.
if you rub hot ash on the end of them or sand paper them (both of which i did) they start to form callouses
They come with time. I never really got callouses, my skin just gradually thickened. Keep at it. They will form when they are needed.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Blisters mean that you're playing a little too much. Developing callouses is important but if you're getting blisters, let your fingers rest a bit. You don't want to over-exert your hands and damage your tendons or worse.
Quote by Garou1911
Blisters mean that you're playing a little too much. Developing callouses is important but if you're getting blisters, let your fingers rest a bit. You don't want to over-exert your hands and damage your tendons or worse.

By worse, he means that if you play that much, a giant 8-foot tall crustacean with glowing red eyes will come to your house and ask you to spare about "tree fitty".
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
By worse, he means that if you play that much, a giant 8-foot tall crustacean with glowing red eyes will come to your house and ask you to spare about "tree fitty".

In that event, simply settle on a much more sensible "butch-o-five."
I being playing for the same amount of time. I dont know why, mine have, but I had like this puffy thing on my fingers, if you get one leave it, I had one for pointer finger, popped and now it sensitive got one for middle and left it, it went overnight and I had dry finger next morning.
Quote by fadetowhite

You obviously aren't reading the same chord as the rest of us, because what you just said made no sense at all.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.