Hey, i'm a guitar player trying to write progressive songs, but i'm having major problems writing original material, like i have the techniques i need to accomplish the kind of riffs i'd like to write but their just not coming to me. I play music in the vein of Between the buried and me, Protest the hero, The Human abstract, Tool, The Fall of troy, Born of osiris, basically Anything Progressive so i'm just looking to get some input from other guitarists, thanks.
Don't know how much help I can be. But, try just coming up with a simple chord progression or scale you like, then play around with it and try to write a simple picking pattern. Then, add some rhythm, palm mutes, vibratos, slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc. Eventually, you should come up with something.
Hey thats some good inspiration there in those bands. Here's what I do to get riffs out in an original way. It sounds really stupid I know but it works really well because it stops you from the pitfalls of getting stuck in a couple patterns. Basically you have to get a recorder and whenever you get a riff in your head, don't force it to come or it won't be as good, you just vocalize the riff into the recorder. Once you're satisfied that that's what was in your head, get on your guitar and try to reproduce what you just put on that tape and add to it in layering and stuff (since that seems to be the type of music you like ie; tool) and it should sound pretty original. Recording it before you put it on your guitar stops you from changing the riff to suit what you can play on the guitar and challenges you to get better as well as preserves the musical sound you were going for. Works for me but I don't know if it'll do for you.
Everybody is different, but I've found as a general rule if I try and 'force' myself to write a riff it doesn't come out. Maybe just try improvising in a scale 'til you find a certain sequence of notes that you like, then play around with that until something else grabs you. Works for me, at least.
Quote by Necronomicon
Hey thats some good inspiration there in those bands. Here's what I do to get riffs out in an original way. It sounds really stupid I know but it works really well because it stops you from the pitfalls of getting stuck in a couple patterns. Basically you have to get a recorder and whenever you get a riff in your head, don't force it to come or it won't be as good, you just vocalize the riff into the recorder. Once you're satisfied that that's what was in your head, get on your guitar and try to reproduce what you just put on that tape and add to it in layering and stuff (since that seems to be the type of music you like ie; tool) and it should sound pretty original. Recording it before you put it on your guitar stops you from changing the riff to suit what you can play on the guitar and challenges you to get better as well as preserves the musical sound you were going for. Works for me but I don't know if it'll do for you.

Great advice. I always think of something (riff, chord, melody) before I figure it out on guitar. Once I do that however, I experiment with it a bit.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums