Combinations of notes in scales make chords.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
scales are made of notes which are played in ear-pleasing intervals. Taking the 1st 3rd and 5th note of these scales makes a basic triad, adding 7ths 9ths etc. makes complex chords.
Scales are notes which can make a melody, chords are notes which make a harmony.

Scales are singular notes which go up and down by intervals, and chords are notes played upon each other to make a harmony.

Thats a simple unindepth way of looking at it.
Theres more but thats just a simple as it gets.
Quote by Mattalac
Scales are notes which can make a melody, chords are notes which make a harmony.

Scales are singular notes which go up and down by intervals, and chords are notes played upon each other to make a harmony.

Yeah that too. +1
Well a chord is a line segment that joins two points on a curve.
A scale is any thin, platelike piece, lamina, or flake that peels off from a surface, as from the skin.

So yeah, they're way different.
i am resisting so hard not to flame you.

a scale is the notes A B C D E F G (in that order, but not always the same root) modified so that they fit together routinely. it is these modifications that determine what kind of scale it is.

a chord is a couple of notes played together. these notes will all be from the same scale, but not all the notes in that scale will be played at the same time.

i tried to simplify it, but im sure its not gonna help you.

EDIT:
Quote by Mattalac

this guy says it better
ehh
is there a short answer for how to use chords to make your own music its so fuking complakated for me
Play a chord, play an improvised solo over said chord while playing in key, sticking to the intervals. This is quite hard to explain for me, but you get the idea.
Dude, ask this question again in the Musician Talk forum and you will get real answers that are not way off the mark.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Short Answer: you need to take theory lessons to learn how to use theory to write songs.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by jose92fu
can you explain the meaning of key?

Can you get a guitar teacher?

Or at least put this in the right place?

Sorry to sound like a douche.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
take it to the Musician Talk forum, which is here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=8

I'd be glad to help you out there, and so would lots of other people.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by jose92fu
is there a short answer for how to use chords to make your own music its so fuking complakated for me

Best I can do:

C Major scale: C D E F G A B C

playing these chords in a progression sounds good.

Basic I-IV chord progression, play the tonic (C) and the fourth (F) over and over for a simple tune.

Same for the G major scale: G A B C D E F# G

In a I-IV chord progression play the first note chord (G) and the fourth (C)

Got me?