I have a Jackson DXMG that I am throwing some pickups in, but the 3-way switch is a little confusing. I could just blindly copy the wires that were already in there but I would rather learn and understand it.

The switch has one line of 8 poles.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O O O O O O O O

There is nothing hooked up to 1 and 8.

The hot wires are going to 3 and 7, with a very small metal wire connecting 3 to 2 and 7 to 6.

The Wire that goes to the Pots its hooked up to 5 with the same metal wire connector going from 5 to 4.

What is each pole for? I may hook it up the same way but I was also thinking of trying to make it so the middle position on the switch uses the inside coils of the pickups.

I really tried looking but most wiring diagrams have generic switches that have either:

3x3
O O
O O
O O

Or just a 3 Pole switch

O O O

Which neither are like the one on my Jackson. Any help would be great. I could just copy without knowing but like I said I would much rather learn about what I am doing.
post in "building and customizing"
also, the new pickups you buy will come with schematics
and the pickup manufacturer's website will also have wiring directions
you can also google this and probably come back with 845,626 pages
Quote by thefrigginbob
Does anyone have any idea? I posted last night then I went to bed, but it looks like it got buried.

I would just copy the wiring myself, but if you really need to know, you may want to contact Scott at South Valley Vintage Amps in Gilroy (I live in San Jose). He builds & repairs amps, & could give you an in-depth analysis, I'm sure. He also has Tone Tubby speaker cabs , Victoria Amps, THD amps & Hot Plates, & every tube, resistor, & capacitor known in the amp world.
http://www.svvintageamps.com/
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by sethp
post in "building and customizing"
also, the new pickups you buy will come with schematics
and the pickup manufacturer's website will also have wiring directions
you can also google this and probably come back with 845,626 pages

The wiring diagram that comes with the pickups has a 3x3 pole diagram, which isnt like mine at all, so that is useless. The website has 3x3 and rotary(prs style) but not like mine. I tried google of course but it mainly came up with generic diagrams, which explain to an extent but I havnt been able to find specifics. Im not the usual idiot, I do read instructions and websites and I do search for myself, Only after that do I ever make a post. I hardly ever post anything at all unless I fell like I cannot find something on my own.

Thank you riffhog I will give them a call and see what he can tell me about it. I would have called a shop already but I assumed that they would want me to bring it in and possibly charge for it. Which I will do if need be, but I figured there must be a few people on UG who have an understanding of the jackson switches. I will most likely just end up copying the previous wiring, I just like to try to learn things when the chance comes up so maybe if I see someone else have the same problem down the road I can help them.

Thanks a lot for the shop suggestion in Gilroy, I will give them a call this afternoon.
Jackson probably has a generic switch they use for many models. Some have split coils some dont. So they dont use all the poles all the time. Strats had some poles for the tone controls. Should be able to find something at jackson about it. If not an ohm meter could help you figure it out.