Page 1 of 2
With all the different sub genres of Heavy Metal these days nobody knows what it actually is. Lets clear this up. If someone asked you to show them a band that portrayed Heavy Metal, what band would you show them.

Pantera is my choice. I believe they are Heavy Metal.

Whats your opinion?
Pantera is Thrash Metal -_-.

Obviously, Iron Maiden IMO.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by urik

+1 AWESOME!!!!

Definitely IRON MAIDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

i dont know if any band can be classified as purely HEAVY METAL. metal/heavy metal have SOOO many sub genres that you can put a ton of bands in with heavy metal, as well as harcore, or thrash, or other genres. its really just a complex system.
errr not this fight again even i dont know exactly what metal is so yea its really kinda blurry the lines of what is and isnt metal
I am me. Live with it.
black sabbath or metallica
One likes to believe in the freedom of music

But glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity
iron maiden, judas priest, racer x..

thats the only bands i listen to that i would consider heavy metal..
for me it refers to slightly older bands such as Motley Crue or Metallica. It's probably different to every person though
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Quote by Solemn Silence
I'd go with Fall Out Boy. They're heavy right? ..Right?

If it wasn't so obvious you were being sarcastic, this flame shield ^ would have been what you needed.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
What we think is heavy metal is not what it always was.

When I say heavy metal, I am talking about bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and so on.

If I asked my mother the same question, she would say bands like Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Led Zep and that kinda thing. Bands I would have generally considered just classic rock or something.

So it's also an age thing IMO.

But, as I quote a series of videos I saw on Youtube (which I can no longer seem to find, or remember correctly), "If the drums are pounding, the bass is thumping, the guitars are raunchy and raw, and the vocalist is screeching, that's heavy metal."-I forget who it was.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
also, check out the "Metal-A headbangers Journey" dvd

its got some pretty nifty stuff about metal and the different genres
eh.. doesn't matter to me.. heavy metal is heavy metal...lol
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
According to "Metal: A Headbangers Journey", it is bands like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Deep Purple that are classified as Heavy metal.
Yeah Hakattacks got it!

I think mercury is my favourite 'heavy metal'.
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
Iron Maiden is basically the band that pops up when someone says Heavy Metal. It does not mean what it says... its not necessarily ridiculously heavy metal, its a genre that is not defined by its name. And I'm sure most people here know that, but since this thread exists, I guess not.
There is no such thing...theres hard rock, thrash metal, speed metal, black metal, death metal, ....who is actually heavy metal?
I'm Sam
children of bodom, metallica, lamb of god, iron maiden?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Path To Nihil are the true metal band Matty Scott is better than Chris Barnes and James Hetfield will ever be.
Quote by urik

Iron Maiden is a bit too cheesy for heavy, and contains a lot of Powermetal-ish stuff to be heavy metal...

Black Sabbath and some of Led Zeppys stuff is Heavy metal... More precisely the Original Wave of British Heavy Metal.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Nov 20, 2007,
I'd say early stuff, like Motorhead (even though they call themself just Rock n Roll) and AC/DC (same as Motorhead actually), as well as some Deep Purple, lots of Black Sabbath and stuff like that. Early Metallica was definatley Thrash i'd say.

Yeah, its pretty much like classifying a band as "Rock", there are way too many sub-genres so its too hard.
Hello
Quote by JilaX^
Iron Maiden is a bit too cheesy for heavy, and contains a lot of Powermetal-ish stuff to be heavy metal...

Black Sabbath and some of Led Zeppys stuff is Heavy metal... More precisely the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

How could Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin be part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, when they were the original British Heavy Metal?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
How could Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin be part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, when they were the original British Heavy Metal?

Crap... I didn't get much sleep last night okay?
Quote by Jack Off Jill

+1 if they are nwobhm who was original British Heavy Metal?
Danelectro '59 DC

Amplitube 3

Aaand my superlux headphones
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Not to mention that Led Zeppelin has leanings towards country music and acoustic rock much of the time, so it's not really a great example of a heavy metal band. They're more of a brilliant example of a band that kicks ass in general, and I call Led Zep "rock" so they fit into something but I think they lie outside genres.

Black Sabbath is doom metal, by the way. Accepted as THE heaviest of heavy metal, it's all about crushing, slow brutality. Riffs like the main riff to Sweet Leaf are the best example of doom metal.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by Jaxoo
I'd say early stuff, like Motorhead (even though they call themself just Rock n Roll) and AC/DC (same as Motorhead actually), as well as some Deep Purple, lots of Black Sabbath and stuff like that. Early Metallica was definatley Thrash i'd say.

Yeah, its pretty much like classifying a band as "Rock", there are way too many sub-genres so its too hard.

AC/DC is considered hard rock. But in reality they're just a blues band with the drive knob turned a little too high Motörhead is metal but Deep Purple are hard rock aswell. (I think atleast)

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Lulz at Jilax.

Hey Jilax!

Hey Aqua
It's when your mother is impaled on a long metal pole.

On second thought, Heavy Metal is a subgenre of the 'umbrella' Metal Genre, which encompasses the original Heavy Metal/NWOBHM and the subsequent evolutions of such. Clear enough?

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
you said *no one knows what it actually is*. You are wrong, there are plenty of people that do. You could read the Recommendation Thread in the metal forum, for example, and not make this useless crap.

But if you must, generally traditional heavy metal would be Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, Rainbow etc.

It's pretty much impossible to represent metal in one band. If anything, I'd probably show them Opeth's early stuff.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by MadassAlex
Not to mention that Led Zeppelin has leanings towards country music and acoustic rock much of the time, so it's not really a great example of a heavy metal band. They're more of a brilliant example of a band that kicks ass in general, and I call Led Zep "rock" so they fit into something but I think they lie outside genres.

Black Sabbath is doom metal, by the way. Accepted as THE heaviest of heavy metal, it's all about crushing, slow brutality. Riffs like the main riff to Sweet Leaf are the best example of doom metal.

Not really, Alice in Chains is a metal band, technically. Despite the fact that they're labeled as grunge, and did two acoustic records. They touched on folk music, especially with III, which I think is their best record. But they are technically a heavy metal band. Jimi Hendrix was technically heavy metal, too, as he is possibly the originator of the term. His sound was described as heavy metal plates falling from the sky.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Not really, Alice in Chains is a metal band, technically. Despite the fact that they're labeled as grunge, and did two acoustic records. They touched on folk music, especially with III, which I think is their best record. But they are technically a heavy metal band. Jimi Hendrix was technically heavy metal, too, as he is possibly the originator of the term. His sound was described as heavy metal plates falling from the sky.

Hendrix, I think, falls into "proto-metal", which is a term I use to catch Led Zep, Deep Purple, ect.
Hendrix almost falls into blues, but then again you could argue that heavy metal has more in common with the blues than it does with rock (at the beginning, anyway).

Alice In Chains is an extremely heavy band and I supppose they could just about qualify. The thing is that "grunge" is a term applied to 90s rock bands that came from Seattle and the general vicinity. As someone who doesn't listen to a whole lot of grunge I couldn't tell you if it was a philosophy that linked them, but listening to it, grunge does appear to be a very simplified form of metal in some respects - the punky view on simplicity with the musical emphasis on weighty riffs.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Page 1 of 2