So pretty much, i picked up my grandmas accoustic guitar 2 years ago and taught myself by listning to songs and learning them. Now ive got almost 3000 dollars in guitar gear and consider myself pretty good, decent anyways. Problem is, i have trouble writing music because i never learned any theory. Like i acutally only know like 4 chords and thats it. So now i wanna make myself better and learn a bunch of theory, probably without a teacher. Any sites/tips on how u guys learned your theory?
R.I.P Samantha

My Gear
Esp Ltd M-400
Randall Rg75W Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha something Acoustic
Several other cheap guitars/basses/Amps
You have $3,000 worth of gear, say you're quite good and know lots of songs, but you don't know any chords? That's ridiculous, you should have picked up a ton...
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Don't let theory daunt you when it comes to writing songs.

I don't know any theory whatsoever and it doesn't phase me atall, if you're really desperate, maybe you could find yourself a good teacher or a friend that will come and give you some advice a few hours a week.
Quote by iSlash
You have $3,000 worth of gear, say you're quite good and know lots of songs, but you don't know any chords? That's ridiculous, you should have picked up a ton...

I only know E minor, E major, G major, D major, C major, A major, a minor and thats it. If you can bar the strings, then you can play any chord based of those.

Anyway back to topic, the best way to learn theory is actually to play your favorite songs and see how the notes flow and understand that.

its all fine if you can say that this is a lydian, or whatever, but if you actally understand the musical relation and the feel of the notes, thats better
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Start at the beginning....

learn the notes on the fretboard, learn the major scale and from that learn about chord construction, that's where it all starts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You'll find it's a lot easier to learn theory if you don't learn it backwards.

Start at the major scale and go from there.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Dude take at least a few lessons, it'll help A LOT. Then when ur getting the hang of it, either buy some self teaeching books, or Wikipedia stuff. that's how i learned everything, triads...intervals. ect. But what level are you? are you saying you can't read music? or just don't know theory like intervals and stuff?
although it is advised you take musical lessons or at least learn some theory, it can be argued if it is really necessary to write songs. which I think it is not. there are still some weird chords I don't know what they're called but I know how to play them in a song I made and what the rootnote is, and more importantly I know a chord before and after that makes the progression sound good. My point is you can also write songs by ear.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by DagMX
I only know E minor, E major, G major, D major, C major, A major, a minor and thats it. If you can bar the strings, then you can play any chord based of those.

Anyway back to topic, the best way to learn theory is actually to play your favorite songs and see how the notes flow and understand that.

its all fine if you can say that this is a lydian, or whatever, but if you actally understand the musical relation and the feel of the notes, thats better

No actually thats probably one of the worst way to learn music theory that i can think of. The best way would be to have a teacher teach you scales and chords, and show you how they are formed so you understand and can form them on your own.
It's pretty cool to actually be able to have a conversation with a musician who knows a lot about theory. Anyway back to topic. If u cant afford a teacher or you dont want one, then check out music-theory.com It helped me a bit.
I never had a music teacher until I went to college and I did just fine. You can easily learn theory by yourself. Just look around on websites like this one and buy some guitar books (or even general theory books). Theory isn't as hard as it seems.
Quote by iSlash

lol, hehe yea. I know chords, i just don't know what their called. I just never took the time to learn them. Like someone at school says " o lest jam, play something in the key of..." i dont know the keys, i just play lol. I was talking to a buddy of mine said a good way would be to buy the royal conservatory rudiments theory books. Apparently i would take about a year to learn it all but i should know everything i know after that. I may do that, or maybe ill just get a teacher haha
R.I.P Samantha

My Gear
Esp Ltd M-400
Randall Rg75W Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha something Acoustic
Several other cheap guitars/basses/Amps
Yeah, learn theory, you will be able to make chords so quickly and easily by just knowing very basic theory. Make sure you don't get too far ahead of yourself, or you will get raped, horribly. Take small doses, especially since you don't know much, then you can get complicated.