Well, I already play bass and drums, and I'm going to start playing guitar soon. About 90% of the people I know have started playing guitar on acoustic, but honestly, I know for a fact that I would barely ever use an acoustic after I bought an electric (I like punk/hard rock/harcore music).

So my question is, should I just go ahead and buy an electric to start with, or are there any distinct advantages to starting guitar on an acoustic? (Keep in mind I'm a multi-instrumentalist, so my music budget is always tight)

Thanks!
well id say its better to learn on an acoustic because it takes a little more work than electric, making it easier to play once you start playing electric. but since you play bass, you already have most of the advantages you get from acoustic suck as the strings being harder to press down. if you are wanting to play electric guitar, i say go ahead and buy one.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Nov 20, 2007,
...Yes.

Acoustics will be more chord driven, but if you have an electric, you can do chords and scales up high on the board.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
there's nothing wrong with that. my first guitar was some strat copy (electric) that i bought off my friend for $30. don't worry about what's better to learn with or anything. if you want to play electric guitar, play electric guitar.
yeah go ahead and buy the electric if you like those styles
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
YES YES YES YES YES.....

think of it this way if you want to play electric guitar songs right from the start, why would you want to waste your time playing an acoustic first?

So just go get an electirc if you want....
you already have everything that the acoustic would have given you (finger strangth, stamena ect) so go ahead.
Acustics definately have their advantages, but there's nothing wrong with starting with an electric. That's how I started.
I was going to take over the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
~:~~:~
Jingle Ball 2007 Attendant
I bought an electric guitar because that was what I wanted to play and I've never regretted it. I still want to own an acoustic at some point, but I'm willing to wait until a good deal comes around.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Well generally, people I know have quit the guitar because they started with an acoustic but liked music played with an electric. So... yeah...
starting acoustic would strengthen your fretting fingers, and when you move on to electric, it will be easier. till now days, i rarely perform acoustic, but i practice my electric licks on my acoustic.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
um... if you dont want to play acoustic, buy the electric... i dont see why thats such a tough decision, lol...

it doesnt make you "better" if you start on acoustic, if you had that idea running through your mind. but if you dont have much finger strength, dont expect to be able to play the acoustic like an electric.
Yes.Bass is more painful compared to acoustic guitars,so the strength training from bass will help you
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
My acoustic was hard work, man. I've progressed alot more on electric.

I had one of those £20 acoustics from argos and the strings were so faraway from the fretboard, I almost gave up playing guitar atleast 5 times with that thing.
just get a cheap electric. I've recently started bass, and I've found that guitar and bass are pretty interchangeable (my slap n' pop needs some more practice though ).
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
Well this is an easy question, of course you buy the electric if thats what you want. The fact that you should start on acoustic guitar first before electric is a stupid wives tale that your mom tells you even though she knows nothing about music So go ahead, if your happier with an electric, then buy it, but remember u need an electric guitar amp too, im pretty sure u cant use an electric guitar thru a bass amp.
Quote by InsantKarma94
Well this is an easy question, of course you buy the electric if thats what you want. The fact that you should start on acoustic guitar first before electric is a stupid wives tale that your mom tells you even though she knows nothing about music So go ahead, if your happier with an electric, then buy it, but remember u need an electric guitar amp too, im pretty sure u cant use an electric guitar thru a bass amp.

You can use it but it won't sound that good.
Why would you buy an acoustic if you would never play it? Get the electric!
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
i started playiung with an acoustic...only because the accoustic was free and i had no money for the electric

get the electric, they got lots of starter packs and stuff out there that are great for beginers