Ok, so I'm helping a friend build an instrument for a design class she's taking. I need some more ideas for an instrument. It can't be something that already exists. I was hoping someone in here could give me a few ideas. I know I'm omitting information right now so if you have any questions just ask me. Also, if we do use an idea that The Pit came up with then we will put something on it to symbolize The Pit. Thanks for any ideas.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
a giant rubber band... and make a thing to hold it so it will losen and tighten so it can play different notes?
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
tie six strings to a long, flat piece of wood, then make a resonance box for it, preferable pear-shaped, then make a hole somewhere in it so the sound doesn't get trapped inside the sound box.....
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
but, in all seriousness, you could try a mix between a guitar and a piano: you take the concept of the guitar with its fretting system (which is already used for every other western stringed instrument) and maybe even construction/shape and then use small hammers to hit the strings and thus produce the sound, the problem with this is that you're too likely to come up with something that looks too much like an already existing instrument, even if you use a different shape than a guitar's
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
how about hitting the teachers head against a wall for coming up with such a retarded idea
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
Quote by rhcp_fan2210
how about hitting the teachers head against a wall for coming up with such a retarded idea

That's what I said. Her teachers are morons. They wanted the class to design something, anything. Then figure out a way to make it into an instrument.

Quote by Jastul
but, in all seriousness, you could try a mix between a guitar and a piano: you take the concept of the guitar with its fretting system (which is already used for every other western stringed instrument) and maybe even construction/shape and then use small hammers to hit the strings and thus produce the sound, the problem with this is that you're too likely to come up with something that looks too much like an already existing instrument, even if you use a different shape than a guitar's

Looks aren't that much of an issue. It's how the instrument functions. So we probably could do something like that. Thanks.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Last edited by Quark Soup at Nov 20, 2007,