Well I've had .11s on my american strat for about 8 months now, and since the start I've noticed that when I'm playing around and especially above the 11th fret, I have extreme trouble hitting a note and keeping it. Many times when bending, the note would deteriorate when I know I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm pressing hard and right in the middle of the fret, and it just buzzes and goes away.

The other day I played a few ibanez RG's with stock strings, and my bends were insanely precise compared to my strat because i've been going through so much effort to compensate for my problem. It felt good damnit. I want my guitar to feel like that.

Since I was moreso of an idiot back in the day than I am now, I didn't think anything of it and thought it was entirely my problem. But...

Is it possible that the frets are too small for .11s on my american strat? I believe they are medium-jumbo. Would the problem go away if I switched back to .10s?

Thanks everyone!
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
ur nut slot is slowly going down? time to adjust the truss rod? time to adjust the action? or just get super high action like me.

i want low action... but the buzzes annoy me. i got a new neck now, and i hope that resolves the problem.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
ur nut slot is slowly going down? time to adjust the truss rod? time to adjust the action? or just get super high action like me.

i want low action... but the buzzes annoy me. i got a new neck now, and i hope that resolves the problem.

I've actually wanted to raise my action. Would you raise the saddles to do that?

Anyway whats your opinion?
-Jim Morrison
yea. i madly raised the saddles. haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yea. i madly raised the saddles. haha.

Nothing else? Did you have to adjust the truss rod? Does your bridge float or not?
-Jim Morrison
well, one way to solve it would be to get a new guitar (Ibanez RGs are the pwng3), another way would be to adjust the truss rod (you might want to check this with your local luthier/music shop person), make sure the frets are correctly set upon the guitar neck and that there is nothing wrong with your bridge or nut, or both
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
i did adjust the truss rod, and my bridge is blocked, and screwed in all the way.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i did adjust the truss rod, and my bridge is blocked, and screwed in all the way.

Alright cool man thanks for the help
-Jim Morrison
ya raise the saddles and see if that fixes it

my strat buzzez bad at 4 so yeah

mine are as low as there ever gonna go
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Stainless steel frets fix the problem of fret wearing down over time. Im pretty hard on frets mine wear down in a few months. After a while raising the action wont do it anymore.
Well I just raised the action a good amount, and i'm still having problems up around the 12th fret. So this brings me back to the possibility that the frets aren't right for .11s...does anyone think this could be the case? I'd be happy to switch back if it meant smoother playing...

Thanks so much everyone for the replies!
-Jim Morrison