Hey, I should be getting a new guitar within a week or so. I have a decent budget, but overall not great ($1400AUD max). And it HAS to be from allans music, as thats what the insurance is with. For a bit of back story, all my guitar stuff got stolen, but an am isn't a problem at the moment. Anyway, i was wondering how the Les Paul Menace sounds. It's going on sale in a week or so from $2500 to $1400. Does anyone know how its sounds? The only thing i can gather is that it doesn't have great sustain. Anyone else know anything?

Edit: I play most styles of music. But mostly Metal and alternative rock.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Last edited by t3h guitar n00b at Nov 20, 2007,
personally imo allans is a rip, but if thats what the insuarance company says... I wouldnt know about the menace, but ive heard good things. what kinda styles do u play?
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
personally imo allans is a rip, but if thats what the insuarance company says... I wouldnt know about the menace, but ive heard good things. what kinda styles do u play?

Oh yeh forgot to mention. Everything from indie, to jazz to metal. But mainly alternative rock and metal. And if the guitar has $1100 off, and a free hard case you can't complain.
Quote by aradine

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
personally, i like the ibanez s series, very versatile.

You can pick up an S470 for around 1295 i think. Oh, dont forget to bargain BEFORE you show that insurance slip :P

dont quote me on this, but i think you MIGHT be able to get a Gibson SG for around your budget, but yes, it looks like a good deal
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
get a standard or something, id play it a little safe
I am the last Samaurai

Quote by Strati
Note to self: keep off thread while on lsd trip.

Quote by gtrfrk123
Well i'm still fairly young so i still hump random things

Quote by Woogles
****K YOU HOE!
GTFO MAH UG!
yeah, that guitar is probably good for you, esp for the price, and try to get as much stuff out of them that u can, case, cable etc. lol.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Quote by jakekilgore666
get a standard or something, id play it a little safe

yes, but standards cost FOUR THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS in Australia.

i hate you tom cruise
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by iwrestle71
steal someone elses gear

LOL U DUMB C**T lol nah just kidding, i found this funny, and how un-ironic it is for someone with the name "iwrestle71" to provide someone with the thought of stealing another dudes axe lol
Quote by BFun
yes, but standards cost FOUR THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS in Australia.

i hate you tom cruise

you and i have so much in common, i ****ing hate tom cruise and hate how much guitars cost here.
Yeah, thanks for the help. Not much comments on the les paul menace. But I'll be going for anything in my price range that gives versatility, so it will be a long day of trying out guitars.
Quote by aradine

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Quote by BFun

i hate you tom cruise

....which translates to £1800
...we only get them for £1600 minimum..

so you're not doing too badly really.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
The Menace is nothing special, in terms of everything that matters; it's pickups are just slightly overwound versions of what the LP Studios have (i.e., they're awful), and that aside, the only other difference is the finish and pointless body routings; essentially you're paying for a Standard or Classic, but with worse pickups and without the choice of a 50's profile neck if you wanted it (in the case of the Standard).

Want a cheap(er) Gibson? The Classic and Classic Antique represent the best value for money (they're Standards with different - though not particularly any better or worse - pickups, and always the 60's neck; yet due to production costs and the fact they don't have quite so many finish options, they're typically around £900 - I don't know how that converts for you, but compare that to the £1600 price tag that comes with most Standards, and you can see that's quite a saving for something that's essentially the same just arguably not quite as nice looking). Failing that, of course the Standard has the most options, and you can get the Faded ones pretty cheaply, though having not played a Faded version myself I can't vouch for it's quality.

Then there's the Studios, though considering those are made from offcut of lower grade wood, those are never worth touching unless you're really desperate for any guitar with Gibson on the headstock.
Quote by screamodream
LOL U DUMB C**T lol nah just kidding, i found this funny, and how un-ironic it is for someone with the name "iwrestle71" to provide someone with the thought of stealing another dudes axe lol

...That really wasn't that funny and it really wasn't ironic...
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
buy the menace sell it and buy a better guitar
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Check out Edwards or LTD. Probably better value for your money since you live in Australia.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Since you are in Australia, why don't you get a Maton MS503 or Maton MS502?

At least you don't get price gouged on Matons like you do on other guitars.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.