Hey all!

I have found that my fingers are naturally dry, and while playing with my fretting hand, i sometimes experience tremendous friction (and i dont push the frets in that hard!) and that kinda slows me down.
Is there something that i could apply to my fingers to make them glide more? I dont want to ruin the fret board though... so im not too sure if i should just use cream or something.
I know there is a can of something you can use, but i prefer a homemade solution
thanks guys!
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
just play and eventually you won't be able to feel much in the tips of ur fingers, so you can slide all over the place on anyones guitar......thats what i do..
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
just play and eventually you won't be able to feel much in the tips of ur fingers, so you can slide all over the place on anyones guitar......thats what i do..

i play alot! Everyday for the past 3 years! its not that bad... but i would like the friction to be a little less!
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
Just moisturise an hour before you play guitar or something, that might help. Just make sure you wait untill the cream sinks in or you'll get hand cream all over your guitar.
Hand Cream will soften your hands and the strings will proceed to rip the ****e out of your fingertips....

Get some Fast Fret maybe - its stuff you put on your strings, and makes them slippier.

I've never bothered using it myself as I have no problems fretting etc, although a few friends use it, and it definately does work - I don't like the slippyness though lol
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Fast fret would be best. I think water may rust the strings faster. Maybe the friction is being caused by your thumb on the back of the neck?
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
Quote by mck_776
Hand Cream will soften your hands and the strings will proceed to rip the ****e out of your fingertips....

Get some Fast Fret maybe - its stuff you put on your strings, and makes them slippier.

I've never bothered using it myself as I have no problems fretting etc, although a few friends use it, and it definately does work - I don't like the slippyness though lol

No it wont, not if you already have callouses. I do hairdressing and have to use hand cream to stop getting disgusting hands from all the contact with chemicals and water everyday. I've never had a problem and I play guitar 2-6 hours a day.
Yes it will...

What you would be using is ****ing barrier or sanitising cream, not a hand cream to moisten or make your hands softer.

Fast Fret or a similar product is all you should use.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Usually when I play while standing up.. me jamming out and moving around makes me sweat and my fingers get moist that way..
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by mck_776
Yes it will...

What you would be using is ****ing barrier or sanitising cream, not a hand cream to moisten or make your hands softer.

Fast Fret or a similar product is all you should use.

I use E45, which isn't a barrier cream. You use Barrier creams around a persons head when you dye their hair, so they don't get dye on their foreheads or ears etc.
Ya moron... You use barrier creams at that time...

In all seriousness though, this is a guitar forum not a hair salon, and hand moisturizer will do nothing but make your hands greasy, what I recommend it to keep your hands dry, very dry, I find when my hands are moist its harder to play as per when they are dry. Rub your hands down with a towel before your play, and rub the neck of your guitar and the strings, so that any old finger oil is pretty much rubbed off, it wont be completely but give it a try.
Just about anything you put on your fingers or strings will wear off after playing a little while. And its more crap to build up in your strings. I use fast fret but just after Im done playing so the strings will last longer.
Wash your hands before playing (have them DRY before playing though), and regularly change strings.

The only reason I can think of why you're having excess friction is dirty/worn strings. And Fast Fret is greasy garbage, if you ask me.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I use Fast Fret to make the strings more willing to work WITH me indstead of working AGAINST me. It really helps, but after playing intens for a few hours my hands get naturally sweaty and thereby makes it easier to play fast.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Use elixir nano or polywebs. Thats what i use they're really slippery and last a pretty good long time. Kind of expensive though
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Fast Fret, but really wipe it down. Personally I don't use it because it tends to be too greasy at first.
It probably depends on how everybodys fingers emit that sticky stuff to grab stuff more easy, for instance like spider and ants have little claws we have that sweat which is grease and sticky, but i tend to have no problem with friction while playing because of this substance. Your fingers should adapt to the new use you are giving them. And eventually you wont have any problems at all.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
god, just because you put a little hand cream on from time to time, it doesnt mean ur fingers are going to be greasy.

you just dont put it on right before you play.

also like said dry hands, and coated strings help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Spend hours sliding up and down on the heavy strings like you're jacking the guitar off. Eventually it will burn the tips of your fingers to a point where no amount of friction will hurt you.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Wash dishes or something. It softens up your hands, moistens them some, gives you a better feel for the guitar.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Nick_
switch to flatwounds

problem solved

Not really, unwound strings are a pain too.
When I try to do a nice slide in a solo, I always end up pulling the note sharp/flat because of the friction