Page 1 of 2
Im looking into buying a KV2 from someone online, he has been extremely cooperate with detailed photos, and serial numbers, etc, and nice, but im still weary.

I looked at jackson's website on serials, and it says all USA models that arent the RR (King V etc) have a serial like U0****, with the exception of some with RR etc etc. Anyways, he gave my a close-up of the last fret serial stamp, and even typed out what it was if I still couldnt see it, but it didnt folow that pattern. It shows U15386...heres the pic

Here are a few other pictures, I have a bunch more, but I dont want to clutter the thread.

What do you guys think? Or do you have any advice with how to figure out if im going to get screwed over?

I wouldnt care if he was a dealer and had the paypal 2000$ guarentee, but he isnt, so he only gets the basic 200$ guarentee.

Anyways, thanks for any advice.
Last edited by nvranka at Nov 20, 2007,
how long have you got? i could make a few calls to some of my contacts and see what they think, but it might take some time. like, a couple days.
he is giving me until january, since I told him i wont have the money until then.

PLEASE do, thatd be so cool, id greatly appreciate it.

feel free to email me if youd prefer to communicate that way, or need more pics:

nickvranka@yahoo.com

he also said if I want any particular pics he can take them for me. so if your friends need some particular ones, let me know.
gutiargle, thats really good of you. good on you man.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
seriously,

to be honest I was surprised to get such a helpful reply.
Last edited by nvranka at Nov 20, 2007,
lol, no problem. i like to help out i emailed my man over at fender (they own jackson) now, he is in the PR department, so i dont know what he will be able to do.. but i know plenty of other people in the industry i can ask if he cant find out.
thats really cool of you man, thanks again.

I'm awaiting the verdict! hahah
From what i've seen it looks real. The quality of the pictures makes me think that it will be a real model. How often do you see frets in perfect quality on a fake? Or real Mother of Pearl inlays on a fake? Also do you have a photo of the back? If it was a fake it might / would have a bolt on neck.

The serial code is the only problem really. But from what io've seen i think its a real KV.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
ok I uploaded some shots from the back now, since you mentioned that, I didnt really think about that, it doesnt have a bolt on neck, at least not evidently. good call on that though

am I the only one that thinks the headstock logo looks dodgy?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
no there's something wrong... i think that the letters J and N are not the same...
Learn to swim....

Αλλη μια πέτρα που κυλά...

[quote="Chris.Rock.Art
"]he's my "friend" he said he wanted me to see. It wasn't an accident...he wants to have sex
and the 'c' and the 's' and the 'o'.

and the 'k' and the 'a'.

lol

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I have a Jackson RR5 and the lettering has black shadowing in it...nothing like the pic you posted??
Quote by mrrman
I have a Jackson RR5 and the lettering has black shadowing in it...nothing like the pic you posted??

like that?

you can get one's that have the jackson logo made out of abalone or MOP or whatever it is. They don't have the shadowing on them.

I did find this one on jcfonline.com that has a similar logo

Quote by element4433
yeah, unless they changed the logo, it's not the original. it's really apparent when you look at the k and the s. the upper arm of the K is sharp in the original and there's a slight curve to the s. the one you're looking at does not have this. overall, the lettering just is not as clean and sharp.

I'd pass on the guitar. plenty of other great guitars to be had.
Basic 'buying over the internet' code: If you doubt what you're buying is what you think it is, even slightly, then pass.
I thought that the stock humbuckers for KV2 were seymour duncan...not emg's...
Learn to swim....

Αλλη μια πέτρα που κυλά...

[quote="Chris.Rock.Art
"]he's my "friend" he said he wanted me to see. It wasn't an accident...he wants to have sex
Quote by The_Black_Dog21

he coulda switched them

and the jackson name does look a bit odd, i have a KVx10 and the writing is different (assuming its the same across all models)

could be an old one :S only bought mine bout 9 months back
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
About the headstock, I was reading a blog comparing two RRs. One japanese made and one American made. He pointed out how the headstock logo was slightly different in both regarding kerning and a few shapes.
This leads me to believe that their logos are not necessarily consistent.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by sajuuk
he coulda switched them

and the jackson name does look a bit odd, i have a KVx10 and the writing is different (assuming its the same across all models)

could be an old one :S only bought mine bout 9 months back

The KVX10's Will NOT be the same. I've noticed two things. Number one its a decal, and number two I've noticed a few X series had smaller decals for some reason.
I am positive it is legit. While JCF's chart only runs to:

2001 Ontario RR2861- J6569- JA0192-JA194 UO8970-

Thats 2001. This is 2007. You do the math. That guitar is 100% legit.
^I think this dude is right... Check the serial number again- I am almost 97% sure it actually does start with UO, and not U1. And the headstock logo is perfect. Compare it to the one Lemoninfluence posted from jcfonline.com. They're the same. Don't ever compare an inlay it to a decal, people.
Quote by Pikka Bird
^I think this dude is right... Check the serial number again- I am almost 97% sure it actually does start with UO, and not U1. And the headstock logo is perfect. Compare it to the one Lemoninfluence posted from jcfonline.com. They're the same. Don't ever compare an inlay it to a decal, people.

I think the serial is right though. You figure, if its a 2007, that would give Jackson 6 years to make roughly 6,700 guitars, making about 1,120 a year, which is under their standard production of what seems to be 1,400 on average from from 1997 to 2000. I need to scan through the serials of some reason ones, but by that logic they should be into at least the 16,000s, if not 17,000s.

EDIT: Yep its legit. This one on Jackson/Charvel forum is in the 18000s
Last edited by CJRocker at Nov 20, 2007,
yeah, its a legit number, thats about all he could tell me without phoning around most of the switchboard to ask people for info on it lol.

good job i mailed him too, i got a nice press release through with it
dont worry, you'll see it up in the news section in a couple days.
About the EMGs he swapped them...for that one guy who didnt get that lol. which i am fine with.

Should I maybe ask him what year the guitar is, and see if that answer matches up with a recent year, since weve determined that if that serial is legit it would have to have been produced recently?

thanks again for all of the help guys, any more tips are greatly appreciated.

+1000 guitargle, youre the man.
Quote by nvranka
About the EMGs he swapped them...for that one guy who didnt get that lol. which i am fine with.

Should I maybe ask him what year the guitar is, and see if that answer matches up with a recent year, since weve determined that if that serial is legit it would have to have been produced recently?

thanks again for all of the help guys, any more tips are greatly appreciated.

+1000 guitargle, youre the man.

No way to tell for sure without the serial number charts, I can tell you right now.
it would probably be a lot safer if u bought from a store instead of online from a stranger

also, the serial # could hint that it's a fake
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by Reds3031
it would probably be a lot safer if u bought from a store instead of online from a stranger

also, the serial # could hint that it's a fake

REad the thread
Yeah,

if you read the thread youd know we resolved the serial # dispute.

I found the guy who is selling it to me on the JCF Jackson online boards, and hes an active member who a lot of people know and trust...so that gave him more credibility in my book.

I'm pretty convinced to go with it
but any other tips are appreciated.
this is pretty intense, all of UG coming together to help this guy out, nice to, i however i no clue haha, but just thought id say my bit,
Quote by CJRocker
No way to tell for sure without the serial number charts, I can tell you right now.

well guitargle had his buddy at fender check it, and he said it was a legit serial. that fact coupled with the thoughts we had about the serials increasing over the years, and the fact that he bought the guitar in 06, leads me to be almost 100% positive its legit.

lol if I put this much effort into school id be doing a lot better
Just as a funny anecdote regarding serial number mix-ups... I've got an Eric Clapton Custom Shop Strat, but it has a CN serial number. Now, funny enough, a CN serial number would register a Korean made strat. However, after a little research prior to buying the guitar, the serial number checked out, the certificate was legit, and all was well. Sometimes things just work out that way... I would definitely hold out and do a little research before throwing down money or walking away. It looks like it's a beautiful guitar.

Good luck!
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Quote by nvranka
well guitargle had his buddy at fender check it, and he said it was a legit serial. that fact coupled with the thoughts we had about the serials increasing over the years, and the fact that he bought the guitar in 06, leads me to be almost 100% positive its legit.

lol if I put this much effort into school id be doing a lot better

I meant in terms of year. I'm positive its legit. The thing I'm not sure on is the year. Shot int he dark says an '05 or late '06.
If t is a fake, its a damn sexy fake. This thread makes me wanna buy a Jackson

My bad i just read the rest of page 2
Manchester United
If that is fake that is pretty kitted out. I think it is a 100% real Jackson.
Quote by sashki
judging by these 'ranks', I guess you were looking at Gibson guitars.

In that case, it goes (worst --> best)
special --> studio --> standard --> custom

When Gibson calls something "special", it's special in the way a retarded kid is.
Quote by The_Black_Dog21

oooooo wow, he changed the pups......

ain't hard....

but could hurt the "originality" value.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by CJRocker
I meant in terms of year. I'm positive its legit. The thing I'm not sure on is the year. Shot int he dark says an '05 or late '06.

ohh sorry misunderstood you.

yeh, definately not any easy way of knowing, but he said he bought it 06
Looks pretty damn real to me. And if it were fake, it'll be one hell of a fake
I'd buy it if I had the money

that's a damn fine instrument...... could be even sweeter with 7-strings and red binding though!!! ***drool***

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Page 1 of 2