Well I'm now in the process of starting my guitar build. I'll be going around to some timber places and check if they have wood.
This coming weekend I'll go and buy all the saws etc.. needed.

Anyway I was seeing on stwemac that they offer both waterbased finishes and regular ones.

So what is the advantage of water based finishes, and if there are any disadvantages at all?

I did a google search, but most results were from 2002, where they said the waterbased stuff still had a while to go before it could compete, but its non-flammable and better for the environment.

Those points aside, is the finish significantly worse or better? Is application easier?

I want an opaque black with red bevels guitar with a very glossy finish.

And, if it isn't too much trouble, can you guys tell me the disadvntage of a painted neck and can you tell me how to go about avoiding them?

Based on advice below, heres some extra things I'd like to run by anyone who is reading.

So anyway, since my guitar would be mostly closed-grain woods like maple and alder, I was thinking of the following schedule:
1)Clean the wood once everythign is shaped up fine
2)Sanding sealer: 4 coats a day, one coat every 2 hours for 4 days
3)White base coat: 1 coat
4)Red bevel coat: 2 coats 2 hours apart
5)Mask of the bevels once dry
6)Black body and neck coat: 2 coats, 2 hours apart
7)Clearcoat: 3 coats 3 hours apart.

Only the clearcoat is oil-based.

Does that all check out? I'm just trying to budget time out approximately.
Should take a week for all thecoats and then two weeks for it to dry.

Also can I do the color coats on different days? As in do the white and red on one day and then do the black the next?

Also stewmac says that the oil-based clearcoats can't ship outside the US.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Nov 20, 2007,
I'm a painter by trade and if you're after a glossy finsh, water based will get you nowhere. As for the paint on the fretboard, it should be fine as long as there's some sort of enamel over the paint to protect it and to make the neck flow easier
Quote by dman1988
I'm a painter by trade and if you're after a glossy finsh, water based will get you nowhere. As for the paint on the fretboard, it should be fine as long as there's some sort of enamel over the paint to protect it and to make the neck flow easier

When you say, it will get me nowhere....how glossy can I go with waterbased?

And i didnt want to paint the fretboard, just the back of the neck...

My guitar would be a neckthrough, so the finish will probably be the same on the guitar as on the neck
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
You can't go very glossy at all with water based unless you finish it off with a clear enamel which will have to be oil based anyway. It's just not designed for it. Neck throughs painted all the way up look freakin' sweet and you won't have any problems on the neck as long as you take care of it and make sure there's some sort of clear protective coating over the paint, I'd suggest at least 3 coats..
ah okay thanksa lot!
Can I mix waterbased color coats with a oil based clearcoat?

And is it any harder to applyoil-based finishes? Does it take longer?

and of course if anyone else also has any inputs I'd be grateful

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
You can put the color on then a clear enamel on top, just make sure u put at least 3 coats of enamel on, the enamel will be more likely to run so be careful. It takes a lot longer to dry and harden, I'd give it at least 2 days before doing anything else to it. Don't drop it on the floor when it's wet like I did haha.
Quote by dman1988
You can put the color on then a clear enamel on top, just make sure u put at least 3 coats of enamel on, the enamel will be more likely to run so be careful. It takes a lot longer to dry and harden, I'd give it at least 2 days before doing anything else to it. Don't drop it on the floor when it's wet like I did haha.

Haha, that must have been a bummer.

So anyway, since my guitar would be mostly closed-grain woods like maple and alder, I was thinking of the following schedule:
1)Clean the wood once everythign is shaped up fine
2)Sanding sealer: 4 coats a day, one coat every 2 hours for 4 days
3)White base coat: 1 coat
4)Red bevel coat: 2 coats 2 hours apart
5)Mask of the bevels once dry
6)Black body and neck coat: 2 coats, 2 hours apart
7)Clearcoat: 3 coats 3 hours apart.

Only the clearcoat is oil-based.

Does that all check out? I'm just trying to budget time out approximately.
Should take a week for all thecoats and then two weeks for it to dry.

Also can I do the color coats on different days? As in do the white and red on one day and then do the black the next?

Also stewmac says that the oil-based clearcoats can't ship outside the US.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Nov 20, 2007,
anyone?
I'll be ordering stuff off stewmac accordingly and the sooner I order, the better

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
their liars. i spray all my guitars with waterbased poly from targetcoatings.com and i get a pretty nice gloss from it. although, i am thinking of switching to nitro.

advantages

non toxic

non explosive

I wouldnt recommend spraying nitrocellulous in a house during the winter

theirs one i recently did
Last edited by carousel182 at Nov 20, 2007,
Quote by Pikka Bird
Why so many coats of sandig sealer?

I dunno...I'm just going by stewmacs guide..I might do 3 coats a day instead...
I'm new to building guitars and finishing so thats why I wanted to ask people.

and thanks carousel. The gloss on that strat-a-like looks really nice. Befgore that I was thinking it might be a matte finish.

Anyway, so i think I'll stick with the waterbased, since I dont trust the cheapo finishes I'll get here and nitro can't be shipped here.

And can anyone correct the finishing schedule for me? I'm a little nooby

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
^From what I heard, you shouldn't ever need any more than two coats total of sanding sealer... But I've never worked with it, so I'm not an authority, it's just what I've read in numerous tutorials and such. Of course Stew-Mac will tell you to just use a million billion coats since they sell the stuff...

But wait till someone around here with experience sees this thread.
Quote by Pikka Bird
^From what I heard, you shouldn't ever need any more than two coats total of sanding sealer... But I've never worked with it, so I'm not an authority, it's just what I've read in numerous tutorials and such. Of course Stew-Mac will tell you to just use a million billion coats since they sell the stuff...

But wait till someone around here with experience sees this thread.

yeah, 12-16 coats seemed a lot, but the guides on stewmac seemed friendly enough so I doubt its just to drive up sales.

Their site said this:
12-16 coats • 3-4 coats per day • 2-3 hours apart

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yea man, you won't need more than like 2-4 coats of sanding sealer top.

Also hears a recommendation. Do not rush the finish. Always give it enough time to cure and dry. thats the difference between a mediocre finish and an exceptional finish.
Quote by carousel182
Yea man, you won't need more than like 2-4 coats of sanding sealer top.

Also hears a recommendation. Do not rush the finish. Always give it enough time to cure and dry. thats the difference between a mediocre finish and an exceptional finish.

Yeah okay, so I'll do 4 coats instead then...
and deffinitely don't plan to rush anything...just want to budget time out

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350