okay, i don't know if anyone really has this problem with lyrics, but here goes:

I know I can write good stuff, I often find myself lyrical, rhythmic and poetic at the worst of times, but my issue is: i get kind of wussy, and get worried of what everyone else will think of my lyrics; maybe i'm too dramatic, too pathetic, too egocentric, too smart, too dumb, etc etc etc.

anyone have any advice as to how to more confidently throw my stuff out there?

And yeah, i won't mind people saying "just be confident, don't worry about what everyone thinks" etc, so long as you are confident with lyrics too. It's a majority thing.

thanks
Yep. Me too, but don't worry. Most people write **** lyrics anyway.

And have you ever considered posting any of your lyrics here? Perhaps you could do that. Get some feedback, confidence etc. If you get good feedback here, chances are you're quite the talented writer. I'm not saying people here are experts or anything, but if the majority of people here think your lyrics are decent, people in real life will probably do aswell.
Last edited by European Son at Nov 20, 2007,
I think it's definitely how the majority of people feel. I hate it when you mention that you're a songwriter to someone and then they ask you how some of your songs go. I tend to be all like "ahhh get out of my face I don't wanna sing to you, it's embarrassing!".

So there

And yes if you haven't already, post songs on here.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
You have to realize, not everyone will like your lyrics. Lyrics are a personal statement. They're for you to like alone. But there are others who will connect with them too. Don't be afraid to let the good in with the bad.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
awesome!!! great replies..

good to see others are the same.

I might as well post some up here soon, sounds like a good idea.
u need to rephrase the way you look at it.

if you keep looking at your lyrics and go "**** thats ****", u'll always stay in that mind set

if you write lyrics and go "wow, thats better than not writing anything", you're slowly unlocking that original mindset of it being crummy. as time goes on you will get to a point where you will be very confident.

i guess its kinda like building up the guts to ask a girl out we've all been there :P
People used to try and get me to scream my bands songs, and it's just like NO!

I hate playing guitar and singing infront of people who play guitar, I get nervous showing people my lyrics. It takes me like....days to get the confidence to show people.

I know i'm not bad at writing lyrics, it's just a nerve wracking thing showing people your stuff.
its been enough to put me off writing lyrics and sticking to music, but i want to...this threads opened my eyes, maybe i should get into it again...who cares what people think?
Dancing In Your Dust
Quote by STEALmyDOG
its been enough to put me off writing lyrics and sticking to music, but i want to...this threads opened my eyes, maybe i should get into it again...who cares what people think?

i am a saviour by proxy.

On another note, what do you think is a good subject to talk about that isn't pretentious or cliched?
Quote by kurbo
i am a saviour by proxy.

On another note, what do you think is a good subject to talk about that isn't pretentious or cliched?

Write whatever you feel...

Contradictory, I know. That was cliche as hell.
haha no worries, cliches are cliched for a reason.

As long as a lot of others seem to think the same, that's pretty much the confidence I need to write more openly, or show my writing more openly.
don't be worried about what you write,
you'll never get anywhere like that,
just write about how your feeling tonight,
about your lover? or about your cat?
and don't find yourself discouraged
and don't find yourself alone
you'll find the ones who cease to write
on Desolation Row.
Quote by skagitup
don't be worried about what you write,
you'll never get anywhere like that,
just write about how your feeling tonight,
about your lover? or about your cat?
and don't find yourself discouraged
and don't find yourself alone
you'll find the ones who cease to write
on Desolation Row.

Did you make that up or is that Bob Dylan?
Quote by k00kie M0nster
This forum is for lyrics only. Maybe musician Talk?

*reported*

So we can't talk about lyrics in the lyrics forum?
... some people just seem to like the word "reported" ...
... ? ...
Quote by rush4life
So we can't talk about lyrics in the lyrics forum?

Of course not. Use your head, dummy.
Quote by kurbo
okay, i don't know if anyone really has this problem with lyrics, but here goes:

I know I can write good stuff, I often find myself lyrical, rhythmic and poetic at the worst of times, but my issue is: i get kind of wussy, and get worried of what everyone else will think of my lyrics; maybe i'm too dramatic, too pathetic, too egocentric, too smart, too dumb, etc etc etc.

anyone have any advice as to how to more confidently throw my stuff out there?

And yeah, i won't mind people saying "just be confident, don't worry about what everyone thinks" etc, so long as you are confident with lyrics too. It's a majority thing.

thanks

I realized when my cousin wrote lyrics in front of me, that I shouldnt be nervous about writing lyrics in front of my band. I didnt question my cousins lyrics and I write lyrics, so why would my band who doesnt write lyrics question my lyrics at all. And they HEAR the words like 34345 times as were playing the song. If they say anything its generally jokingly and something you should laugh at yourself.

They really wont think anything of it. If they say anything their probally joking. Just try doing it and see their reaction.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

The thing that bothers me the most is that I see bands like Simple Plan get international hits of melodies that are either bad or plagiarised, and lyrics that i could have pulle out of my sphincter, and I am STILL too wussy to show others my lyrics.

I should put them up without making a statement, just insert it casually into conversations, like i don't care, then get misconception and expectation-free criticism/analysis.

Reported? really? that seems somewhat like overkill for something entirely appropriate.
Quote by kurbo
The thing that bothers me the most is that I see bands like Simple Plan get international hits of melodies that are either bad or plagiarised, and lyrics that i could have pulle out of my sphincter, and I am STILL too wussy to show others my lyrics.

I should put them up without making a statement, just insert it casually into conversations, like i don't care, then get misconception and expectation-free criticism/analysis.

Reported? really? that seems somewhat like overkill for something entirely appropriate.

Don't worry, he don't know what he's doin.

But I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm terrified of showing other people what I've written, mostly because I don't want them to tear it apart. I think sometimes I'm just either not confident enough or that I'm a way harsher critic than the majority of people that would read them, since I always seem to think it's not good enough, or I could do better.
... the problem with this is that it will never be good enough! So one always fears that other will rip one's work apart! So either you give a **** on those people or you'll never show others what you've created. I personally don't give much on those things cause it's rather the creative process that pushes me than the reactions of others ...
... ? ...
yeah, very good poin, i never thought of that.

I always just waited for the "perfect lyric", but none are.

There's a lot of phenomenally brilliant one, but perfect, or outstanding is hard to come by
I think the best policy is to try and avoid writing for the intention of others hearing it, because then you start thinking about what they'll think about it instead of how you feel about it.
Quote by rush4life
I think the best policy is to try and avoid writing for the intention of others hearing it, because then you start thinking about what they'll think about it instead of how you feel about it.

yeah, definetely true.

On an unrelated note, hi!!