Well, if ANYONE followed my previous thread, I turned the idea of a Telecaster Bass into a reality for me, as closely as I possibly could:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538475

I know it's not 100%, but I tried to do everything to make it completely a telecaster, but it being a bass.

Well, the other day I managed to impulse buy another Fender style bass neck, and it got me wanting to build another bass. I was going to do just a P style bass, but that's boring for me. (Restless mind)

So I got to thinking about making another guitar inspired bass. I was thinking of all Gibson styles, and they're generally all available as basses. All ESPs are too. Rickenbackers I don't much enjoy. Ibanez's have never tickled my fancy. Then I figured that since I have a Fender style neck on the way, I may as well imitate another Fender.

I own a Strat, so I don't want to make a bass of that. I've done the Tele, Mustangs & Jazzmasters don't interest me terribly much, but the Jaguar was a guitar on my wishlist a few years back.

But then I found out there already IS a Jaguar bass. (Yes, I'm not very well educated in guitars & basses. I just like playing them). I was devastated. Haha

So, I'm wondering what kind of bass I should do?

It seems like people have done everything;

That looks terrible, though, in my opinion.

Okay, this new thread thing has been open for over two hours now, haha, I think I'm going to make a Strat Bass.

Or something to that effect. Not that colour scheme though.

It's practically just going to be a modified p-bass body with a custom pickguard.

Yes? No? Maybe? I don't know? Want me to repeat the question for you or something?
I've never seen a LP Jr bass. That would be sweet, but since you're a Fender guy you probably wouldn't like it. P-Basses are nice nevertheless. You're right about the colour scheme. Something like cream or TV yellow, with a tortoise pickguard would be nice. I'm more into modern designs myself, but I'm a sucker for TV yellow with tortoise.

Well, good luck.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Gymmeh

It seems like people have done everything;

I don't think anyone has done a LPDC as a bass. That might look pretty sweet.

And if anything from PRS tickles your fancy, they don't make a bass ...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^technically speaking, the les paul money bass is a double cut les paul bass. Not the same style as the lpdc that most would think of tho.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
dude that strat bass you shopped up is disgusting.

i know you are thinking fender but why don't you make a GOOD <- (lot of emphasis on that) SG bass, gibson don't make a full scale SG basses. epiphone do but the less said about them the better
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
That Strat bass looks awfully out of propertion. And you'll have to put in 3 pickups to make it "strat"
so your big plan is a P-bass with a different input jack?
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by eddiehimself
^technically speaking, the les paul money bass is a double cut les paul bass. Not the same style as the lpdc that most would think of tho.
Yeah, I see similarities to the DC. Similar in ways to the red special, as well.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
so your big plan is a P-bass with a different input jack?

Y3ah br0. Du ya li3k 1t? I f0rt 1t w4s pr1tty c0ol.

Got any ideas, Negative Nelly?
Actually I have seen a stratocaster bass in one of the Whitesnake videos.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
Actually I have seen a stratocaster bass in one of the Whitesnake videos.

Really? I'm trying to find a picture, cause I can't find it. I'd like to see it though cause it'd give me a few ideas on how I could do it.

Nothing is certain about what I'm doing yet, really.
Quote by Gymmeh
Y3ah br0. Du ya li3k 1t? I f0rt 1t w4s pr1tty c0ol.

I fail to see how joking in leetspeak answers my question. You said building a P-bass would be stupid, and then you photoshopped a p-bass with a different pick guard.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Green_Jelly
I've never seen a LP Jr bass. That would be sweet.

LP Jr. Bass=Epic WIN!
.......(_____)
.........( V )
../l-------\/
./ l 666 ll
.- ll.....ll

Evil Cow

I lurk, almost never log in, and like Hank Marvin and the Shadows.
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
I fail to see how joking in leetspeak answers my question. You said building a P-bass would be stupid, and then you photoshopped a p-bass with a different pick guard.

Because the whole point is to get a bass that looks like a classic Fender GUITAR style. Yes/no?

Hahah Ippon, you posted that in MY thread last time! Haha. Good work bro.
Out of all the suggestions here so far, I think the best has been a Les Paul double-cut. SYK's red one looks pretty nice, and even if it's already been done, you could change a few things and make it your own.

Be a nice aesthetic complement to the Tele bass, I think.

EDIT:

Sorry, I may have missed something, if you're wanting to stick to Fender designs, disregard that, but the contrast between a Fender design and a Gibson design might be nice.

Loved your Tele build by the way, almost inspired me to try my own, but I got no bucks right now.

Curious, too, where do you go to school?
Last edited by snot_foster25 at Nov 21, 2007,
I went to Marcellin, it's in Bulleen.
Where are you from?

I've had another idea, by the way, because I sort of want to try something unique.

I was playing with the idea of a P Bass with two Jazz pickups? Might've also been done, I'm not sure.

I know J + P has been done, just thinking J + J.
I'm from Essendon, I go to PEGS, so we're both private school wankers.

You're lucky though, we don't have a tech workshop or anything like that.

I really like the look of the white P Bass's with the tortoiseshell pickguards, they look pretty sharp, I reckon.

If you were to use two Jazz pickups, you should probably consider using a different wood to QL maple, otherwise I'd be concerned about getting the same kind of tone as your Tele bass. Not sure, you might want that, but if you were looking for some tonal variation, maybe try a different wood?

EDIT:

This kinda what you'd be thinking of?
Quote by snot_foster25
This kinda what you'd be thinking of?

That's a Jazz bass... Haha

Penley and Essendon Grammar School?
Pretty sure we play you guys in sport. I can't remember, I only ever used to play Hockey, and there was a school over in Essendon where I swear the planes were going to land on the bloody pitch hahaha. So good.

This is more what I was thinking of, but with better placement of the pickups. The pickups don't have enough balance in those locations, IMO. So I'm not all that sure.
Heh, Penleigh, yeah, that's us. The planes go over all day, very low, and very loud. We all get used to them, but yep, that's my campus.

I can't tell the difference really between a J Bass and a P Bass, but I've never really checked. That looks pretty good, though.

Where'd you get all your hardware and electronics for your last build? I'm planning to make my crappy beginner Strat playable over these holidays, and I'm doubtful that Dick Smith stock decent pots and switches and the like. Recommend me anywhere?
Quote by snot_foster25
Heh, Penleigh, yeah, that's us. The planes go over all day, very low, and very loud. We all get used to them, but yep, that's my campus.

I can't tell the difference really between a J Bass and a P Bass, but I've never really checked. That looks pretty good, though.

Where'd you get all your hardware and electronics for your last build? I'm planning to make my crappy beginner Strat playable over these holidays, and I'm doubtful that Dick Smith stock decent pots and switches and the like. Recommend me anywhere?

There's actually a lot of shops that will sell them, as in GUITAR shops. Try Cranbourne Music (it's actually in the city, on Lonsdale Street, right above Melbourne Central). Allans Music on Bourke Street sell them, they actually have a WIDE range. Yeah. Most places will be able to get stuff like that in for you, anyway, just ask. But yeah, go to a music shop, they should help.
I figured they'd have 'em, but I was concerned that they'd load the prices. Gallin's Guitars in Fitzroy sell pots for something like $26 each, and I know you can buy Alpha pots here for about $6 each, but I'll have a look at 'em and check 'em out. There's a place on A'Beckett St in the city, called Jaycar Electronics, they're apparently pretty cheap and good for high-quality parts, I'm gunna check that out too.

You're going to build the body for this, right? And how 'bout the neck?
Neck I've bought, although I may consider building one, cause I would like a rosewood fretboard ideally.

Yeah, Gibson pots will be up to 30 dollars in some shops. Same as Fender pots. Just ask for Alpha pots in a shop, and many will have them.

Also, Melbourne String Company in North Balwyn is probably the best shop in Melbourne that I've found for allllllllllllllllll parts. But I just figured it'd be too far away for you. It's right near Box Hill.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I don't think anyone has done a LPDC as a bass. That might look pretty sweet.

And if anything from PRS tickles your fancy, they don't make a bass ...

sorry i read this far and havent finished the thread yet but - there is a PRS bass in my work? so I believe they do make a bass. one of the nicer basses in there aswell
ok... the thing about your tele bass.... the idea has a lot of potential, almost a billion times more then that strat bass idea. look, if you compare your bass to a tele guitar, look at it... theyre really dif...

look at the shapes... ther ecompletely dif... why dont u try to change that?
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
I say stick with your current strat idea, just pick up a p bass body and neck route it for say three single coil jazz bass pickups, route an input jack, pickup up a four string bass tremolo bridge and BAM! you have yourself a strat bass. That would be on hell of a bass.
Quote by ms.bassist
ok... the thing about your tele bass.... the idea has a lot of potential, almost a billion times more then that strat bass idea. look, if you compare your bass to a tele guitar, look at it... theyre really dif...

look at the shapes... ther ecompletely dif... why dont u try to change that?

But..but...but!

Okay, I'm totally confused about what I should do.

Should I make a Strat bass? Or the Jazz pickup Precision?
Quote by Gymmeh
Okay, I'm totally confused about what I should do.

Should I make a Strat bass? Or the Jazz pickup Precision?
Strat bass.

3 jazz pickups

Strat control layout and wiring.

/thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Strat bass.

3 jazz pickups

Strat control layout and wiring.

/thread.

It would look wonky. You can't have them spaced so that they're all under the pickguard, so they'd look pretty bad two on the pickguard, one on the body, and I just plain don't want to do that.

I'd consider a regular Jazz pickup'd Strat bass though.
Quote by Gymmeh
... I've had another idea, by the way, because I sort of want to try something unique.

I was playing with the idea of a P Bass with two Jazz pickups? Might've also been done, I'm not sure ...

Ehem ... look at the pic I posted ... it's called an Urge II.

edit: Never mind!
Quote by Ippon
Ehem ... look at the pic I posted ... it's called an Urge II.

edit: Never mind!

Haha, I know you said nevermind, but the Urge II is totally different!
And sorry pal, but I really do think it looks horrid. Haha.
I reckon a fender Jaguar Bass would look awsome

Or branch away from fender and do an explorer?