I have a book that tells me how to do it, but I'm having trouble. I'm doing absolutely everything the book's telling me, but the strings I'm NOT pressing keep making a note. When I hear, say, Josh Farro of Paramore do the Staccato, it doesn't happen. I'm sure I'm missing something... Any help?
you have to mute it immediately after you hit the note..you may be hitting another string by accident?
I do mute it immediately... just as the book says. Do I have to strum only certain strings then?
Quote by EJD
I do mute it immediately... just as the book says. Do I have to strum only certain strings then?

Are you hitting all the strings and muting the one it tells you to only?
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Yep. But only one string is easy - I'm talking about Staccatoing chords. The strings I don't have my fingers on keep playing.
use your left hand to mute all the strings. And remember - staccato means detached, not short.
It doesn't matter if you don't have your finger on it..once you strum a string, it will keep ringing..you want to mute all the strings.
use your left hand to mute all the strings

That's gonna take some practise - thanks.
to clarify it takes one or two fingers - don't use your palm or anything. Just straighten thm out and damp the strings.