I know this is a stupid question, but, what are the essential, scales, and chords? that i
NEED to know?
major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales, major, minor, bar, 7 and power chords
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
scales: major, minor, pentatonic major, pentatonic minor maybe some modes
chords: all major, minor, barre chords, 7s and maybe the chord constructio theory

thats all you should get it in a couple of nights and everything is in the lessons section on UG

bye
You don't need to know anything. However, learning theory is a good idea, and contrary to popular belief, it will not rob you of your soul. The most basic scale is the Major scale, most other scales can be seen as alterations of the major. When it comes to chords, it's more helpful to learn how chords are constructed (it's simple, really), which will enable you to play any chord you want. you should learn all the notes on the fretboard, if you don't know them already.

http://musictheory.net/ has a lot of good lessons, and some of the beginner lessons here on U-G are also worth a look.
Learn about intervals and how to apply them, this will help you learn any scale or chord
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums