I decided to take a trip to Guitar Center after finishing up some tests at the college today. I was hoping they'd have some Fulltone pedals in by now, or at least something new... of course not. They did have the new Line6 Spider Valve 2x12 combo in, so I gave it a try for a while. Here's a quick rundown for anyone who's interested.

Clean - The cleans were horrible, totally lifeless.

Tweed and Blues - These modes were alright, still pretty dull. The blues mode is pretty smooth though.

Crunch - Not too bad, thin, but had a little more character than the other Line6 Crunch modes.

Metal - It still has that thin digital sound to it with more than enough gain on tap. Good for you 80's rockers. Good for rhythm, but not the best for leads. I didn't play around with the effects other than delay and reverb, maybe add a bit of delay for leads and it won't sound too weak.

Insane -I had to really back off the gain on both insane modes, or it sounds really muddy. It's got such a grainy sound, it's got a fuzz-like sound to it. With the gain turned down under 12 o'clock and adjusting the EQ's just right, boosting the mids a bit, it didn't sound all that bad. I couldn't imagine insane mode cutting through the mix in a band/gig setting.

Effects - I'm not big on effects, so I didn't play around with them other than adding in reverb and a touch of delay. Even adding in a hint of reverb and delay, it's got such a processed sound.

I'd take a Flextone over a Spider Valve. Cranking the amp didn't have much effect on the overall sound. It sounded the same at low volume and when cranked. It's a step up from the Spider series, doesn't quite get into the Flextone or Vetta series. All the fuss over Bogner being a part of the new Spider Valve, pretty disappointing.
Why? Because I expressed my opinions on an amp that go against yours? What's so bad about giving an honest account on something that you've put the time into trying? This wasn't meant in any way to put down the Spider Valve, I'm just voicing my opinion. Or, maybe I should just go along with what everyone else reads and says about the amp instead of forming my own opinion?
Oh, sorry about that then Tackleberry. I couldn't tell which way you meant that before.

The distortion is alright, still nothing to go crazy over. I'm just saying Line6 over-hyped this amp, probably because they teamed up with Bogner. The toned down Insane mode a bit, definitely not as bad as the Spider II insane mode.

Can't go wrong with a Flextone. Not the best amp in the world, still a pretty decent amp made by Line6. A couple cool features on that amp, so you've got a lot to choose from. The price tags on these Spider Valves?! What's up with that?
i think it would be a pretty decent amp if it was priced more at the $450 price range (for the price i mean)
i pretty much agree with your review
I didn't expect the prices to be as high either. If they were lower, then yea it'd be a good deal. The price that they're at, I wouldn't buy one.
haven't tried it yet, but thanks for the review.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice review.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I really liked the spider valve for the time I got to play it. I'm gonna go back and play it for an hour or so and put in my review.

It's got the best chance of being my amp to take to college...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If you can, check out the Flextone III 1x12. It can do everything the Spider Valve can and more, plus it sounds a little better.
Quote by Guitarmiester
If you can, check out the Flextone III 1x12. It can do everything the Spider Valve can and more, plus it sounds a little better.

A little better? Dude, I have the Flextone III Plus and I've played the Spider Valve. There's no comparison.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
Yea, a little better probably was an understatement. After having spent a good amount of time with both amps, I'd take a Flextone III without even thinking about the Spider Valve, but it's up to him. He may like it more.
Id take the Spider Valve over the Flextone. Number one, it sounds better cranked, and number 2, like a good tube amp, it does come alive when cranked. In terms of versatility it can't be beat, and is giggable. The biggest weakness with is of course the effects leave something to be desired.
I didn't notice much of a difference in sound when I played the amp cranked and when I had it at about 10-11 o'clock. I did like the Tweed, Blues, and Insane mode (with the gain turned down). The other settings were dull, especially the cleans. I'm not saying the Spider Valve sucks, because there's definitely an improvement, just not enough to justify the price tag. I've heard/seen someone gig with a Flextone III 2x12 combo (mic'd) and I did not expect it to hold its own in a band/gig setting, surprisingly it did. Mark Wood's guitarists (Vai's supporting act for some of the shows on his latest tour) used the Flextone III.
Quote by Guitarmiester

I don't know about that. The Flextone III's are decent at best. The flextone II's are good though.

I prefer the spider Valves from the bit i got to use them.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
No, I'm not talking about Dave Weiner. The band that opened up for Vai - Mark Wood - his guitarist was using a Line6 Flextone III combo.
I don't remember what the guy looked like, he did have long black hair though. Didn't seem like a 'comedy guitarist' to me. There was a Carvin Legacy combo off to the other side of the stage the whole night that was used by some random kid that Vai let sit in for the last 2 or 3 songs. The Legacy combo wasn't on until that kid came out, I'm pretty she he ended up turning the volume to 0 and pretended to play along. It was kind of awkward. But, Mark Wood's guitarist definitely used a Flextone III at the show I was at. He even carried it off stage with him after their set.