I've noticed a lot of magazine coverage of 80's hair metal guitarists lately. Finally, some guys like Warren Demartini/Robbin Crosby, Vito Bratta, Reb Beach, and others are getting recognized for being greats and heroes of guitar then. However they have all left out one guy: Chris Holmes of W.A.S.P. Chris is one of my favors. He was not technically stunning or the fastest player but could write a solo. Likewise, I always like how was able to give simple chord changes and riffs a lot of impact. Solo wise, his solo's always were some of my favorites. I can't put a finger on it as to why though. Part of it may have been just the sound and how they always fit the song and blended in. That said, time has not been kind to there music for some reason, unlike bands like Ratt, Motley Crue, Dokken, and White Lion. Basically it seems I only hear of W.A.S.P. and chris brought up by old fans, which is why I feel his is criminally underrated. If you've never heard of him, check out some of his work in W.A.S.P.:

L.O.V.E. Machine
Animal (**** Like a Beast)
Wild Child
Locomotive Breath

But is anyone else a fan of Chris Holmes and W.A.S.P. and feel they are both underrated?
The solo in The Idol has Gilmourish proportions.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
The solo in The Idol has Gilmourish proportions.

That was Bob Kulick actually. Chris left after The Headless Children, and came back for Kill F*** Die, and ended up leaving again.
I had no idea, but all I know is I like that solo.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^^agreed.

I like some of their stuff, but i found a lot of it to be pretty forgettable to be honest.
Thank God im an atheist
The Headless Children is a pretty good cd. Worth having if 80's metal is your thing. The instrumental on it, Mephisto Waltz, is real cool, very pretty.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
chris holmes is the guy that got me into shred and other playersfrom the same scene that he came from from. While I relize that he's not exactly "shred" he still, like you said, wrote some of the best solo's my ears have heard, and yes, while not technically stunning, they do stay with you and make you want to hear em again. I wish I could have been around when Chris Holmes orignally played in WASP.

If only my parents had gotten busy sooner....