I'm going to start saving up for a new amp (I use a Crate 10w atm) and my friend suggested a few but I want some opinions before I do anything. He said a
Crate GT1200H/G412SL 120w Half Stack,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796

Randall RX120RHS 120W 4x12 Half Stack,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269

or a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 100w Half Stack.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

Or should I get something completely different?

Any help is appreciated
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
What kind of music do you play?

Stay away from both that Marshall MG and Crate, they are crap.
Musical styles?
Will you be gigging?
Would you believe me if I told you don't need neither 100W nor a half stack if you go for a tube amp instead of a solid state?
hate to say it but crates and marshalls aren't crap. just depends on which ones you get. i've got both and i do have to say that if i didn't use the pod xt live that i wouldn't be happy with the marshall 100hdfx that i have. it's loud but that's about it. higher end marshalls are much better if you can afford them. i do have a crate 2x12 combo that is pretty good plugging straight in if you want to play classic rock, rockabilly, and country but you can't really dial in a variety of distortions on it. i settled on a crate powerblock and marshall mg series cab. I LOVE IT! i can play anything through them using my xt live. it's the most versatile settup i've had in years
Quote by glowskulls
real friends don't tell friends to buy MG's.

QFT. I hate the type of distortion they put out except for the 2203KK JCM800.

The type of music you play will majorly affect what kind of amp you need.
All of those amps are utter garbage and if you go with those you will be truely disappointed when you hear some COMBOS you could have got which would blow those crappy oversized practice amps away.
With your budget (what is it? I'm guessing it's low), stick to VALVE COMBOS. Not overpriced, powered up, oversized wicked-wonga KFC special half-stack sized practice amps.
Quote by rwalby9
QFT. I hate the type of distortion they put out except for the 2203KK JCM800.

Erm...the MG and JCM800 are very different amps...the difference being is that one is good, the other isn't.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
All of those amps are utter garbage and if you go with those you will be truely disappointed when you hear some COMBOS you could have got which would blow those crappy oversized practice amps away.
With your budget (what is it? I'm guessing it's low), stick to VALVE COMBOS. Not overpriced, powered up, oversized wicked-wonga KFC special half-stack sized practice amps.

Erm...the MG and JCM800 are very different amps...the difference being is that one is good, the other isn't.

I was talking about Marshalls in general. Thats the only amp of theirs I really like.

More than likely, its out of his price range.
Marshall MG's do sound pretty damn bad imo. And I'm just not a fan of the amps Crate puts out. Never heard the Randall. I do have a 100-Watt Marshall JCM2000 and I love it to death. I think it's amazing. Like the guys above me have said, it depends on:
What type of music you're going to be playing
Are you going to be gigging?
Budget, etc.

It sounds like you're looking for a nice combo amp. I'd say go to a local Guitar Center/Sam Ash or something equivalent and play the amps you're considering. Playing them yourself is probably one of the most important things you can do before you buy. Good luck.
Quote by rwalby9
I was talking about Marshalls in general. Thats the only amp of theirs I really like.
More than likely, its out of his price range.

Ah right...but you do know that Slayer used JCM800's for the VAST majority of their career and the Kerry King version is very very new and not used on any of their albums yet don't you?
And yes, if he's looking at MG's, I'm sure the Kerry King JCM800 is out of his pricerange.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I play mostly metal, but I also play ska and punk. As for the price range my limit is about 600$
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by Yngwi3
Ah right...but you do know that Slayer used JCM800's for the VAST majority of their career and the Kerry King version is very very new and not used on any of their albums yet don't you?
And yes, if he's looking at MG's, I'm sure the Kerry King JCM800 is out of his pricerange.

Yea, I think they started making the KK in 2003? Something like that anyway.

For $600 and metal? I'd say look at a Peavey Valve King combo.
All three of those are horrible amps for the price.

What's your price range?

I'm guessing you play metal. Go used and try for either a 5150 combo (I have one for sale! ) or a Mesa F-30/F-50 - depending on your price range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
IMO i'd stay away from peavey. i've had a couple of them and just haven't been completely satisfied yet. what about mesa's? i dont know about ska but they do well for metal and punk.