Ever since I got my new acoustic (Washburn WD-40S ) I've been wanting to play in an open tuning for slide. But I'm worried that it will have a negative effect on the neck because of the tension change. I dont plan on keeping it in the open tuning; I only want to mess around for a bit, then go back to standard.

I'd hate to have to adjust the truss rod just for a few hours goofing off with a slide. So is this bad for the neck? Even if I dont tune any of the strings up, like Open D?
good question. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I think that open D should be no problem for the neck to handle because you are not increasing the tension on any string. However, my friend and I have been writing a song in D-A-D-A-C#-E that sounds pretty cool, but I am worried about that kind of change.

Any experts?
no its not bad for the neck, the biggest threat to a guitar neck as far as i know is weather
Quote by everragex822
no its not bad for the neck, the biggest threat to a guitar neck as far as i know is weather

and pete townshend.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if you are only playing a few songs in open tunings then going straigh back to standard then no, there wont be a problem. if you plan on keeping the guitar in open tunings at least 45-50% of the time then you probably need to take it to a shop and have them adjust the truss rod(s) according to whichever open tuning you want and just keep it in that tuning
Quote by vjferrara
if you are only playing a few songs in open tunings then going straigh back to standard then no, there wont be a problem. if you plan on keeping the guitar in open tunings at least 45-50% of the time then you probably need to take it to a shop and have them adjust the truss rod(s) according to whichever open tuning you want and just keep it in that tuning

I'd only be playing for an hour (or two.. at the most) in Open D.
I used to play slide in original altered tuning because i just didnt think the standard tuning version would sound like it but i was utterly stunned to find out how extremely close the two different version are. If you stick with the altered tuning version then you still got nothing to worry about people like Andy Mckee, etc have been playing various altered tuning songs with the same guitar for years!!