Hi all,

I borrowed a Tascam 414 from a friend of mine who wasn't using it, hoping to record with it. I've ran into a few problems though...

First. Output, if I record something how do I hear it? The recorder has so many outputs, and so many effects ports that I can really only hear it if i plug the headphones output into my amp! I really don't think this is the preferred method, and I know that the RCA outputs on the back of the system must have something to do with it (Stereo out, mon out, and sync out). If it is a matter of getting some speakers, it's no problem.

Second. Recording; I think I'm safe for guitar, vox, and bass (pre amp for the mic in a separate track, guitar and bass outputs from are own effect pre amps). But drums lead into a problem. I was thinking of getting the MXL 990/ 991 Audio Buddy package from Musicians Friend and using the 990 for vocals and the 991 for one drum overhead. Questions. Should I record the drums first and as a separate track, or all at once? What are the best (easiest) ways to get a good drum recording? And will playing over the pre recorded track be difficult for the other musicians?

Third and last, I hope. Uploading, take the perfect situation: I have an entire song/ demo on the tape, recorded perfectly to my specs. How would I upload it to my computer? Is this possible and/ or is it a good idea? I have seen some things, like a Behringer U- control UCA202 usb interface, which somehow allows you to take an analog recording or any analog device into this device and convert and create an editable, writable digital file. If this is for real, it would be excellent; it's only like $30.

Thanks. And if you have any questions about what I'm asking please post for more info, so we can both get a better idea of whats going on - cause right now, I'm pretty lost.

-Alex C.
Quote by presentense
Hi all,

Hello

I borrowed a Tascam 414 from a friend of mine who wasn't using it, hoping to record with it. I've ran into a few problems though...

First. Output, if I record something how do I hear it? The recorder has so many outputs, and so many effects ports that I can really only hear it if i plug the headphones output into my amp! I really don't think this is the preferred method, and I know that the RCA outputs on the back of the system must have something to do with it (Stereo out, mon out, and sync out). If it is a matter of getting some speakers, it's no problem.

The stereo out is for a pair of speakers to use during mixdown. You should be able to play your sound back through the headphones, my Tascam 244 can do it, but it's much older. I have never used a 414. Try setting the monitor option to tape cue, making sure the monitor level is high, make sure all tracks are set to safe, and their tape cue levels are high.

Second. Recording; I think I'm safe for guitar, vox, and bass (pre amp for the mic in a separate track, guitar and bass outputs from are own effect pre amps). But drums lead into a problem. I was thinking of getting the MXL 990/ 991 Audio Buddy package from Musicians Friend and using the 990 for vocals and the 991 for one drum overhead. Questions. Should I record the drums first and as a separate track, or all at once? What are the best (easiest) ways to get a good drum recording? And will playing over the pre recorded track be difficult for the other musicians?

Record the drums with up to 3 mics if possible, using all but 1 of your tracks. Once they are recorded, mix them properly. When you're happy with the mix, route your stereo outs to the empty track's input (you will need connector adapters) and arm the empty track, record away. Now you have a three-channel drum track taking up only one track on your machine. This is called bouncing. Your other three tracks can be erased and recorded over, and there is a possibility to bounce your guitar(s)/bass to one track if you need the extra room. Playing over the pre-recorded drums should be easy for decent musicians, it's just like jamming with a friend.

Third and last, I hope. Uploading, take the perfect situation: I have an entire song/ demo on the tape, recorded perfectly to my specs. How would I upload it to my computer? Is this possible and/ or is it a good idea? I have seen some things, like a Behringer U- control UCA202 usb interface, which somehow allows you to take an analog recording or any analog device into this device and convert and create an editable, writable digital file. If this is for real, it would be excellent; it's only like $30.

Thanks. And if you have any questions about what I'm asking please post for more info, so we can both get a better idea of whats going on - cause right now, I'm pretty lost.

-Alex C.

To get your recordings on to your computer all you need to do is send the stereo out to an input on your computer, then play back the tape while your computer records the input. Watch the levels though, you don't want clipping. You don't need to spend any money for this, except for a good sound card. Look and ask for quality A/D converters.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Thanks for your help. Through this and some other stuff around the net i figured it out.

Another problem is that i don't have a mixer and i only have (or will have one mic) and im sure the drummer won't chip in at all for mics for him.
So i don't know how well i can mix everything together.

Im glad i won't have to spend $$ to upload the songs. But what kind of cable will i have to get? And to what input on the computer do i use?

thanks again
You don't need a mixer. Like I said, record three mics and then bounce to one track.

To get the mix on to your computer you'll probably want a stereo RCA -> stereo 1/8" jack.

Assuming you use a standard PC multimedia sound card that takes 1/8" line input.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Where exactly is the 1/8" input on a standard comp?

And, for the drums will a dynamic mic for the kick work and a good condesor for the over head? Cause I can't really do three.
Quote by presentense
Where exactly is the 1/8" input on a standard comp?

And, for the drums will a dynamic mic for the kick work and a good condesor for the over head? Cause I can't really do three.

1/8" input should be on the back panel, line in is probably blue but not always. It should be right next to your line out for your speakers.

If it's the best you can do, a dynamic for kick and condenser for overhead is good. You should experiment, though, as there's no perfect way of doing it. You might get too much bass, or not enough snare, or too much hi-hat, you name it.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation