Where can I find a used rickenbacker bass guitar in Virginia or online? I have called a bunch of stores but they have to order it so it takes 6-8 months for one to come in. I guess I could pay up to about a grand so any threads would be nice.
Check out VA's Craiglist or Ebay. They do come up occasionally for sale.

Also--check out Rickenbacker's website. They usually list where they are shipping specific models in your area, and it might be worth the drive to NC or even MD if they have your model in stock. They also sometimes come back to shops as returns or consignment, so let you local dealers know you are interested and they can keep you in the loop.

And a word of caution; finding a Rick for under $1100 is going to be a difficult task, even as a used model.
Rickenbackers of all sorts are fairly common on eBay. I've even seen a couple 5 strings for under the price of a new one, and I've seen some fretless ones go for less than a thousand. Hell, I even saw a double neck sell a few days back. Anyway, Rickenbackers do come up quite often on eBay.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Rickenbackers of all sorts are fairly common on eBay. I've even seen a couple 5 strings for under the price of a new one, and I've seen some fretless ones go for less than a thousand. Hell, I even saw a double neck sell a few days back. Anyway, Rickenbackers do come up quite often on eBay.

5-string Rick... seems pretty sexy, but how would the low-b come out with a Rick tone?
Quote by thefitz

Wow, fitz, I must be cruising Ebay on the wrong days--I've never seen them THAT cheap. Learn something new every day...
Quote by anarkee
Wow, fitz, I must be cruising Ebay on the wrong days--I've never seen them THAT cheap. Learn something new every day...

Actually, I was surprised myself when I saw it. The second time was even crazier.

As far as the 5-string, I have no idea. I have an aural idea in my head about how it would sound, but I've never played a Rickenbacker at all, so I can only guess. I'd love one, though (who wouldn't). Although, I fall in and out of love with the Ric tone all the time - sometimes I think it's great, and sometimes I think it's too dated. However, a low B will always sound collossal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The thing I dislike about ebay is that there is always someone who is willing to pay like $3000 while I can't come close to that!
But I guess if I really want a ricky I'll have to shell out some serious cash for it.
don't double post.

However, you SHOULD be able to find one for $1100. Try talkbass.com as well.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by AdamWest123
But I guess if I really want a ricky I'll have to shell out some serious cash for it.

I'm saving for one now; I don't trust eBay for the most part and all the other used instruments I've bought needed A LOT of work. IMO you're better off just saving and saving and getting a brand new bass that'll last a lifetime.
I'm quite impressed at the 6-8 month wait for a new one. I was under the impressiuon that their backorder level was even more insane, which is why they aren't really looking at new models, or signature models (info taken from a Bass Player magazine sometime during Summer).
Quote by thefitz

I wasn't aware that there were 5 string Ricks, I searched there but couldn't find any

What models do they make in 5's?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.