i'm not quite sure where this should go but whatever

i have a hitch hikers thumb, and i bend it all the way back on my picking had (so it makes a 90 degree angle)
only recently, after playing for more than an hour my thumb starts to getstiff and it hurts
i dont wanna have to completly change my style
does anyone else have this problem?
will it go away?
I used to do the same thing, but I changed my picking style for the better.

How are you picking from the wrist, elbow, or using your thumb muscles(YES I'VE SEEN FAST THUMBS, I have a crazy mexican friend)????
i thought this was a mighty boosh themed joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvt2cXjiwc - if you dont know what the hell i'm talking about
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Hitchhikers thumb is a dominant trait in most people, so you aren't alone. When you're bending your thumb all the way back like that, it's kind of like you're locking your knees, it starts to cramp up after a while. You'll start to build up stamina to the cramping though, and when you're not playing up high on the fretboard, try wrapping your thumb around the back of the neck or something when you're playing a few power chords. It lets you get that soreness out of it and then you can go back up to playing higher again.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Dog454
Hitchhikers thumb is a dominant trait in most people, so you aren't alone. When you're bending your thumb all the way back like that, it's kind of like you're locking your knees, it starts to cramp up after a while. You'll start to build up stamina to the cramping though, and when you're not playing up high on the fretboard, try wrapping your thumb around the back of the neck or something when you're playing a few power chords. It lets you get that soreness out of it and then you can go back up to playing higher again.

He said that the thumb he bends is on his PICKING hand, so how is he going to put it around the back of the neck and play at the same time?

READ
^+1
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Dog454

i did say my picking hand but i have the same problem in my fretting hand
Quote by capt_dammit
He said that the thumb he bends is on his PICKING hand, so how is he going to put it around the back of the neck and play at the same time?

READ

...I'm an idiot, my mistake. (He just said he has the same problem in his fretting hand though, so I kind of feel better... not really)

Well, if it's on your picking hand, you probably want to try and change your picking style, and only resort to locking your thumb when you absolutely feel you have to (tremolo picking, sweep picking etc). You might want to try using your elbow more in your playing too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
^Thats ok

Everybody is an idiot sometimes.

Anywho, changing your picking style is the best thing that you can do. Also be more relaxed about how you hold the pick in you hand. You don't have to put the thing in a death grip, same goes for the neck. The more relaxed you are the longer you can play and the faster you'll be able to.

Hope that helps.
^+1 Lol
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by capt_dammit
Didn't you just +1 me somewhere else?

scroll up haha
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Have you ever broken your thumb bc, mine does that too from where I've broken it, pops out too.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*