I noticed it last Thursday. I was the only one in the bass section ( well I was with a guitar playing friend), and tucked back in the very far corner of the room was this bubinga Wick. I thought nothing of it, but took it off the shelf to show my friend... I saw the amazing price. I couldn't believe it. $900 for a bubinga, active electronics, active pick up Warwick. I checked it out, and everything seemed fine. A little buzz on the 3rd fret but its nothing that setting it up won't fix, I don't think.

I asked an employee why it was so friggin cheap, and he told me it's just been sitting in the back corner collecting dust, and they marked it down to get rid of it since it's been taking up space for so long. So, five days later, my dad put $300 down on it to put it on layaway for me as an early Christmas gift.

I guess this thread is only here for me to brag... the bass had a couple scruff marks on the headstock, but it's nothing that bothers me. Overall, I feel like a very, very lucky individual. Only thing is, I won't have it until February

I still can't believe it... for like a month now, I've been trying to find a substitute for a Warwick since I didn't have more than $900 to spend and couldn't find a used one. So I guess I win.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Right on - I got my well used Corvette ProLine (including the neck replaced with a Wenge one and a brass nut) for a about $100 less. However, that Bubinga one should be a heavy tone monster. How many strings does it have?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Congrats
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Four strings... I wanted a five, but I figured it's worth it. I can always tune it BEAD I guess.

Anyway, I also have a 20% off coupon for Friday morning and Friday morning only. My dad mentioned possibly using that and buying the whole package right then and there, then I could pay him back.

One thing I don't like (but I'm not really complaining) is that looking at my receipt, the actual price was $899. But $55ish dollars of that actual price was for the gig bag, meaning it's not just "included" but rather added on automatically to the price. A little disappointing since I'm going to be buying a hard case anyway. Does anyone know of any good cases that'd fit the Wick? I'm looking for one that locks.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Look into SKB for good cases. I have one, and it's practically indestructible. Just don't run over it with a truck, and you should be fine *remembers the story about one bassist's Fodera*.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Smidgelton
Warwicks don't come with hardshells when you buy them?

Nope... maybe you could get a shop to throw one in, but in my opinion it's the only downside to such a sweet instrument, but I think it's a small price to pay, especially in my case.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by Smidgelton
Warwicks don't come with hardshells when you buy them?

They do in Europe, though - I think it has something to do with shipping them abroad. I think they come with nearly full-fledged flight cases in Europe.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist
European market models come with the hardcase and they are beefy, lol.

What model is it, TS?

Indeed - don't be one of those people who buy nice things and go "I don't know what it is."
Haha, in my excitement I forgot to mention that it's a standard Corvette with active pups. Sorry about that... I made this thread like two minutes after I got home, so I was still pumped. Warwick Corvettes and Thumbs are my dream basses; especially the vette.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Nice dude, my girlishly small hands prevent me from playing warwicks more, but the jazzmans (jazzmen?) are lovely basses. And the corvette is a machine and a half!
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by gywo copta
Haha, in my excitement I forgot to mention that it's a standard Corvette with active pups. Sorry about that... I made this thread like two minutes after I got home, so I was still pumped. Warwick Corvettes and Thumbs are my dream basses; especially the vette.

A Thumb/Infinity guy here... damn I wish I had money, lol
I love the way warwicks sound but they always feel kinda akward to me; especially the corvettes. Its a shame.
Oh you son of a bitch... Why cant I get that lucky... Then again theres no GCs around here... Well a couple hours down the road, but f*ck that. Maybe my local shop will mark down the Stingray or Bongo that been there forever. Hell maybe the Tobias' (plural?) too.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Congrats man you now have effectively the twin brother of mine (except for the frets and I assume the neck and fretboard wood differ). Speaking of which, What year was it made (the last two numbers of the serial number on the back of the headstock). Mine was 99' allowing me to still enjoy the prefereable wenge neck, although not the brass nut. If your bass was made in 98' or prior then you made a hell of a good deal, not that it isn't a good deal anyway.
However I believe me and Fitzy still hold the joint title for best deals on Warwicks.

Also, to Ben, I love the Thumbs as well and will hopefully be getting either a pre 98' Thumb BO or a Streamer Stage I (if I can scratch the money together) in this coming year. I've never had a great deal of love for the Infiniti, Katana, or Dolphin though. They're all beautiful basses but when I sat down and played them they just seemed uncomfortable and unworthy of their price tag. As if much more effort was put into their "characteristic look" than was put into their functionality as an instrument.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
See, the brass nut is what 'makes it'. By the way - Warwick makes brass nuts again, and you can order them. That said, the key with the brass nuts is that each individual string can be adjusted for height, as opposed to changing the height (and therefore angle) of each side of the nut with the later Just-a-Nuts. Tuning BEAD on brass is a synch, because I can raise and lower the strings to where I want them. On later Just-a-Nuts it's harder because you can only tilt the nut, and some strings fit in the grooves better than others. The B string fit perfectly in the E string's groove, but the D string was barely in the G string's groove, where the A string almost fit in the D string's groove perfectly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
See, the brass nut is what 'makes it'. By the way - Warwick makes brass nuts again, and you can order them. That said, the key with the brass nuts is that each individual string can be adjusted for height, as opposed to changing the height (and therefore angle) of each side of the nut with the later Just-a-Nuts. Tuning BEAD on brass is a synch, because I can raise and lower the strings to where I want them. On later Just-a-Nuts it's harder because you can only tilt the nut, and some strings fit in the grooves better than others. The B string fit perfectly in the E string's groove, but the D string was barely in the G string's groove, where the A string almost fit in the D string's groove perfectly.

I heard that they had begun making them again and for a while now I've been thinking about picking one up on ebay. Just haven't got around to it yet.
However I do have to say that I am working with a JANII and have yet to have any trouble with it (the strings all fit very comfortably). Also the brass nut is important, but it is not what "makes" the pre 98' Warwick. It is surely a factor but the true reason to buy the older Warwicks is because of an overall higher build quality (especially when it comes to the neck and fingerboard).
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
^Yeah, but if you string it BEAD, it's not going to play well without a JANI.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^Understood. I was just giving my opinion as it relates to standard tuning.
By the way Fitzy, do you know if Dana B. sells the JANI because the shipping from Germany is ****ed. Also what effect, if any, does the brass nut have on tone. I was reading through some of the posts on talkbass and something was said about the tone becoming brighter which is not something I necessarily want (especially not at all times) on my fretless.
Quote by Caustic
Well, I switched over from an Ovangkol neck with a JANII to a Wenge neck with a JANI, so I can't quite isolate exactly what the nut does that the neck isn't doing, but I've noticed they do sound similar enough, although my current setup sounds much, much cleaner/clearer.

As far as Dana B. Goods, I'm sure they can order any part Warwick has - it's just a matter of waiting. Call a store and ask. And be glad you don't have to deal with Efkay, the biggest idiots ever. However, their stupidity allowed me to get my neck for almost peanuts because they took a week to respond with a price quote.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I'm not sure on the year... it definately has a plastic nut. I really couldn't tell what the finger board was made of... I assume it's wenge?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by gywo copta
I'm not sure on the year... it definately has a plastic nut. I really couldn't tell what the finger board was made of... I assume it's wenge?

Fingerboards are all the same, but the necks aren't.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Cool, man. I really would like a Warwick. As it stands now, I'm getting a Cort B4 Artisan for Christmas (being my only Christmas gift, but oh well), but I would like to find a real Warwick for cheap. Looks like my only possibility would be with the RockBass series, but oh well. This Cort I'm getting will suffice.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
Quote by Mr. Brawl
Cool, man. I really would like a Warwick. As it stands now, I'm getting a Cort B4 Artisan for Christmas (being my only Christmas gift, but oh well), but I would like to find a real Warwick for cheap. Looks like my only possibility would be with the RockBass series, but oh well. This Cort I'm getting will suffice.

You should really look into a used Warwick. I picked up mine (Fretless Corvette Standard 4-Stringer: Bubinga body, Wenge neck, Ebony fingerboard, and Active Pickups. Year 1999) for $500 USD with a hard case and in mint condition. If you live in area with Craigslist you should really check it out. Basically my entire rig has come from listings on Craig's (so much cheaper and more reliable than ebay).

Also, to Fitzy, I read the story of your neck replacement. That was some damn good luck. For once dealing with dumbass sales people paid off.
Quote by Caustic
Quote by Beast_Within
You should really look into a used Warwick. I picked up mine (Fretless Corvette Standard 4-Stringer: Bubinga body, Wenge neck, Ebony fingerboard, and Active Pickups. Year 1999) for $500 USD with a hard case and in mint condition. If you live in area with Craigslist you should really check it out. Basically my entire rig has come from listings on Craig's (so much cheaper and more reliable than ebay)..

Definitely have to agree with you, as well as envy you for getting a fretless 'Vette for that much...

Anyways, I got my Ampeg SVT-3Pro (late 90's model, I believe) for about $350, and my Yorkville 1510 cab for $300. My Ibanez cost $300 as well.

I feel that I've got a pretty good rig considering I paid less than $1000 for all of it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
European market models come with the hardcase and they are beefy, lol.

Actually, only the higher end models do (i.e. not some of the corvettes) but all come with a deluxe gigbag at least, which is really quite nice for a free gigbag.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well I got it early. Got it on Friday, 20% off. The overall price I paid was $728 or something like that. Not too bad.

Anyway, I don't have pictures, but I will say that the bag is extremely nice. I'd prefer a hard case, but it is damn nice. When the guy brought it out, he's like "these are by far the nicest bags we have."

Other than that, I absolutely love every sound I get out of this bass, even through my crappy Peavey amp. I can get get an a super growly, aggressive tone like I wanted... but it still sounds and plays smooth. The neck has a very slight bow to it, so I'm debating if I want it set up or not.

The strings are over a year old, so as soon as I get $25, I'm replacing them with some DR Hi-Beams. Other than that though, I love everything. I'm really shocked at the low amount of noise it generates, even with the treble all the way up.

After playing it with a strap for a while, I have to say the weight doesn't bother me at all.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Yeah, the treble knob pumps up 2kHz, so you get the sound of a stadium full of people clapping instead of a fizz or a buzz. That said, in my opinion, Warwicks sound quite 'modern' and very 'Warwicky' with dead strings - you either like it, or you don't. I like it, but frankly it's not "me". However, with fresh strings, they sound incredible.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by gm jack
Actually, only the higher end models do (i.e. not some of the corvettes) but all come with a deluxe gigbag at least, which is really quite nice for a free gigbag.

My Corvette came with a gigbag, which leads me to believe that corvettes in general don't come with a hardcase, except the proline series probably.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by gywo copta

It definitely is not a plastic nut. The (ad)Just A Nut 2 (or JANII) is made of Carbon and Teflon.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!