I normally practice about 3-4 hours a day and sometimes I have been able to practice for a full 6 hours. But lately since I am on break I have practiced 6 hours for three days straight. Now I am starting to feel a kind of dull pain in the knuckles of my pinky and ring finger of my fret hand. The pain turns sharp when I play anything that forces my fingers to stretch far. Im thinking that I should just take a break for a moment (though I really want to fight through the pain and nail this solo I have been practicing). Has this happened to any of you? Should I be worried?
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
if your getting pain from playing you need to take a break, at least a day, and be sure since your playing such long hours to stretch your fingers out very well, bend them back and hold for about a min make sure they are all streatched out befor you play
like in every physical activity, you need to warm up first, specially with such a long routine

star doing slow stuff until your fingers get warm, then buil up, you can't just start playing fast or hard stuff all of the sudden

also, after you play, avoid to get your hands cold, at least for half an hour, if you wash your hands or go into a cold enviroment, you could get arthritis

take care of your hands, threat them right
I get a pains in my freting hand all the time, but I've also torn a ligament in my wrist before. I find that works best for me is to stretch my freting hand by just stretching the fingers forward until you can feel a slight pull in your muscles and keep concentrating on the stretch. Then I play a few warm up chords and/or scales and go from there. And just a side note, it always helps to keep your fingers warm.
I was told by someone that I was emo... and that I needed an emo-like username. Now I find myself laughing at myself.
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to take a day or two break and try to get out of the house. Do any of you guys have any specific stretches or massages that I could do to help me out before and after I play?
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Quote by HedBanger24/7
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to take a day or two break and try to get out of the house. Do any of you guys have any specific stretches or massages that I could do to help me out before and after I play?

When my wrist starts acting up to the point that my hand hurts I tend to rub the palm of my fret hand firmly between my thumb and forefinger. Try that for a few minutes before and after you play to help warm up your muscles in your hand and get the blood flowing.

And as for stretching: stretch your fingers out in front of you and apart from each other until you can feel the stretch and then hold for a minute or so. Doing that with rubbing the muscles is always good.
I was told by someone that I was emo... and that I needed an emo-like username. Now I find myself laughing at myself.
I tend to bend my wrist back with fingers fully extended to about a 90° angle until the streching pains stop.

I also move my fingers a lot during the day to keep them warmed up. Like what the old western folks would do in a duel while the tumbleweed rolls by
Quote by shreddin_frets

I also move my fingers a lot during the day to keep them warmed up. Like what the old western folks would do in a duel while the tumbleweed rolls by

Haha, I've done that. Or play air guitar throughout the day...