Page 147 of 147
panman36
322 IQ
[\QUOTE]
The second chord you posted is not a D11. I went to the site you visited and it gave me C6/9. Maybe you typed it wrong.

The site I posted does list that as D11. Right below C6/9. Thanks for the nice explanation tho.
arv1971
177 IQ
Just wondering what chord a bog standard E chord is but one fret up. It sounds kind of weird, almost Spanishy, but doesn't sound out of tune.

And also what other chords can go with it. I guess I could CAGEDify it but it's going to be an uncomfortable stretch lol.

No idea if it's even a proper chord or not, I just love the sound of it lol
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist
2,069 IQ
Fmaj7(#11)/E.

E C F A B E

7 5 1 3 #11 7

There ya go!
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Can someone help me (do all the work) in getting the chords from David Gilmour's "The Girl in the Yellow Dress"

I'm pretty dreadful at this
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Skater901
Doesn't actually skate.
1,160 IQ
Quote by eGraham
Can someone help me (do all the work) in getting the chords from David Gilmour's "The Girl in the Yellow Dress"

I'm pretty dreadful at this

Hi, this isn't the place to ask for tabs/chords for a song. You want the Tab Talk forum.

Quote by arv1971
Just wondering what chord a bog standard E chord is but one fret up. It sounds kind of weird, almost Spanishy, but doesn't sound out of tune.

And also what other chords can go with it. I guess I could CAGEDify it but it's going to be an uncomfortable stretch lol.

No idea if it's even a proper chord or not, I just love the sound of it lol

Work out the notes and go from there. E, C, F, A, B, E. Now you could call it an Fmaj7#11, but I'm not sure that F is actually the root. It sorta sounds like C is the root to me, in which case I guess it's a Cmaj13. If E is the root, then it's got a very ugly name haha.

As for another chord to play, take the E shape and move it up another 2 frets. So play normal E chord, move up 1 fret, move up 2 frets, back down 2 frets, then back down to E. Gives a Spanish sound.
sig goes here
Music Fusion
21 IQ
I am wondering what the right thread is to ask for help in figuring out particular chords to a part of a song?
Skater901
Doesn't actually skate.
1,160 IQ
Quote by Music Fusion
I am wondering what the right thread is to ask for help in figuring out particular chords to a part of a song?

I literally just talked about this in my last post, right above yours. You want the Tab Talk forum.
sig goes here
The4thHorsemen
?
2,541 IQ
What would you call a chord with D F# G E? It's jut the C major chord moved up two frets. I'm using it to resolve back to E at the end of a progression. E F Am C then that funky D chord, repeat. Am and C are played for half the amount of time as the other chords.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
^ Is it this shape x 5 4 0 3 0?

You could analyze the open strings as some kind of "pedal points"/non-chord tones, maybe some kind of suspensions that don't really resolve. It's certainly a D major chord. If you want a fancier name, D6add11.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 30, 2016,
Skater901
Doesn't actually skate.
1,160 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine

You could analyze the open strings as some kind of "pedal points"/non-chord tones, maybe some kind of suspensions that don't really resolve. It's certainly a D major chord. If you want a fancier name, D6add11.

Why D6? There's no B in the chord.

The notes there are what the other guy said; D, F#, G and E. I would look at it as a D4add9 or something.
sig goes here
The4thHorsemen
?
2,541 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine at #33804621

Yup.

I was thinking maybe Dadd9add11, maybe tack a (no5) on the end if you feel like it, which is awkward, but it's an awkward grouping of notes. I was just wondering if there was a more elegant name that I was overlooking or if it's one of those that's just going a to have an ugly name no matter which way you look at it. It doesn't really matter anyway.

It's almost like a cluster since it has the 1 2 3 and 4. I was working on a song and was trying to come up with some chords to go with the vocal melody of a chorus and the more normal D type chords weren't sounding right, but some kind of D seemed like what the melody wanted. It just made it flow more naturally to have those notes being held over from the previous chord, like the C chord is still going, but it's actually a D now. So yea I guess it's sorta like a suspension. Almost like a sus2, sus4, and major chord all at once.
CherokeShredder
Banned
30 IQ
I concur with the Dadd9add11. Googled it just to make absolute sure. Basically ugly name regardless
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Quote by Skater901
Why D6? There's no B in the chord.

The notes there are what the other guy said; D, F#, G and E. I would look at it as a D4add9 or something.

Sorry, of course I meant 9, not 6.

But the main point is, the open strings are not really chord tones. They are sustained from the previous chord - so they are suspensions, but they are never resolved.

Just call it a D major. Oh, and the lack of fifth doesn't need to be written in the chord name. Dadd9add11 is the correct name but in this context the E and G are basically just non-resolved suspensions. Or you could call them some kind of "pedal points" (though IMO that would require them to be sustained for a bit longer).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 31, 2016,
20Tigers
640 IQ
D/C or D7 in third inversion.

in relation to C it's a IIMaj triad over a tonic bass.

In relation to D7 in third inversion, or I chord over a minor 7 bass note - possibly static D chord with a descending bassline.

EDIT:
It's not CMaj#11

CMaj#11 = C E G B D F#

D over a C bass (D/C) = C D F# A

Those two chords are not even close.

Even if you strip the CMaj#11 back to a shell voicing (it's bare essentials) you get
C E B F#.

That D over a C bass as some kind of C chord has no third no fifth and no seventh...i.e. it's not a C rooted chord.
Si
MeGaDeth2314
UnUnBanned
1,359 IQ
Yeah it'd just be D/C because there's no 3rd of the C (E) therefore you can't call it C major anything
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist
2,069 IQ
D(add9add11) = x54030

This is true 11 chord, go figure.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
percydw
496 IQ
hi, i am stuck 20-40 minutes trying to figure out these simple as fuck chords because i'm shit at it. please could someone have a quick look and tell me what he is doing at 1:32 . they sing 4 notes and it looks like you play 2 chords under them. i have no idea what buttons he is pressing. so far i figured out that the chorus goes:
F#
D#m
B
??? (1m32s)

please help i literally worn out and angry as fuck because i can't do something this simple ever.

link: youtu.be/xcWFQ4ie_zU?t=88
NeoMvsEu
Sing the anthem of life
20,327 IQ
Quote by percydw at #33980680
hi, i am stuck 20-40 minutes trying to figure out these simple as fuck chords because i'm shit at it. please could someone have a quick look and tell me what he is doing at 1:32 . they sing 4 notes and it looks like you play 2 chords under them. i have no idea what buttons he is pressing. so far i figured out that the chorus goes:
F#
D#m
B
??? (1m32s)

please help i literally worn out and angry as fuck because i can't do something this simple ever.

Simplest form of the section:
F# (B/F# F#) | A#7 | D#m | C#m7 F# | B C# | A# D# | G#m C# | F#
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Quote by percydw
F#
D#m
B
??? (1m32s)

I would suggest learning about chord functions and it becomes a lot easier. And the song isn't really as simple as you may think. The part you are having a trouble with is a ii-V-I in B major that is the IV chord (the song is in F# major). Not really the most complex thing, but it is basically a short modulation to B major.

What will help with recognizing chords is first figuring out the key. Find the tonic chord (ie the chord that sounds like home) - if it's major, you are in a major key and if it's minor, you are in a minor key. The listen to the bass. That already tells you a lot - you know the key and the bass note. Now you just need to add the other notes. Usually the bass is playing the root of the chord, sometimes the third. Fifth and seventh are a bit less common. Melody also gives you some suggestions, and usually there are chord tones in the melody.

But you may want to start with something a bit more simple. Something that doesn't use non-diatonic chords. Start with basic three or four chord stuff.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
percydw
496 IQ
thankyou that helps (i think, a bit).

but i am still stuck

at 1:32 it sounds like he plays 2 long single notes (2nd string 4th fret then 4th string 6th fret)

but he picks the strings like 6 times and moves his middle fingers , so he is probably playing more than just 2 notes?

i am guitar for 2 years??? now and i cant even figure out what 2 buttons someone is pressing in a HD video after i stare at it for an hour, its really fucking sad (frustrating). i mean its 2pm the next day now , i have all those chords open in a chord player separately in my browser, all lined up so i can play them 1 by 1 , and still i am stuck on the same thing. i know how to play barre chords but don't know power chords or technique so when someone plays something like this i just have no clue what he's doing

im waiting to join some facebook groups incase i can get a proper tab from someone, i cant find one anywhere

also can't figure out what hes playing at 1:40 youtu.be/xcWFQ4ie_zU?t=99
maybe he is just playing 2 strings here 1st string 4th fret 3rd string 6th fret

maybe someone can recommend a power chord song a bit like this so i can learn the techniques or whatever... i chose this one because it looked easy as shit to play and i love the song but clearly i cant cope with not having a tab
Last edited by percydw at May 24, 2016,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
^ Just chill out. Figuring something out from a video isn't as simple as you may think. It's hard to see what exact frets somebody plays from a video. You just see the neck area he's using. It's more important to use your ears.

The shape he's using is x 4 6 4 7 4 (C#7sus4 - functions as C#m7), and the next shape is x x 4 6 7 x.

But nobody really cares if you are using exactly the same shapes. You can't even hear the guitar that clearly in that part. The vocal part is the main part.

Again, learn about chord functions and it will become much easier.

Also, look at NeoMvsEu's post.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
percydw
496 IQ
wow no wonder i can't get it, that shape isn't even a shape to me ... one of those contortions .... thankyou
20Tigers
640 IQ
If you can play barre chords you can play powerchords.

Barre chords are the full chord (root third fifth). Power chords are just the root and fifth (and octave of the root is optional)

So for example this shape:

e|---|-R-|---|---|
b|---|-5-|---|---|
g|---|---|-3-|---|
D|---|---|---|-R-|
A|---|---|---|-5-|
E|---|-R-|---|---|

Is a barre chord. The power chord is when you just play the E A and D strings with the same shape (R, 5, R) or even just the E and A strings (R, 5).

Similarly when you play this barre chord:
e|---|-R-|---|---|
b|---|---|---|-3-|
g|---|---|---|-R-|
D|---|---|---|-5-|
A|---|-R-|---|---|
E|---|---|---|---|
It is full barre chord. But if you just play the A D and g strings then it's a power chord. (Or even just the A and D strings.)
Si