So I was wondering what you thought of these 2 guitars in terms of quality. One is an X-series Martin...
Martin DCX1KE
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-DCX1KE-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514515
the other is a 100 series Taylor...
Taylor 110CE
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-100-Series-110CE-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514494
The Taylor is $100 more than the Martin. I know that there are better guitars for the price and I would be paying for the name blah blah blah. Basically I just want to know how the quality stack up on these and which would be better all around.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Not to say that either is a bad guitar, but you are paying a premium for their respective brand names. I'd rather have a comparably priced Alvarez, Takamine, Guild, Blueridge or Washburn. Better bang-for-buck that way.
I know, i said that in my post. I'm not necessarily going to buy one I'm just wondering how they stack up against each other.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Have a look at each site, Martin and Taylor. Read what materials are used to build each guitar, then you'll have answered your own question. I believe the Taylor to be a better buy of the two due to the fact that the X series of Martins uses a pressed, man made wood substitute called HPL, or High Pressure Laminate. There's wood in it, but it's not solid. The outer visible surface is a very thin veneer overlay and is for appearance only. The Taylor uses a laminate as well, but isn't the same as the HPL of Martin. Actual sheets of wood are laminated for strength and appearance, similar to plywood, but very thin.
The plus side of these laminates is that they hold their shape extremely well. They are more resistant to changes due to weather conditions. The down side is that they are laminates, and tend to sound the same year after year, while solid woods grow in tune with the guitar's age, becoming fuller as time goes on.
those two guitars are among the worst for their price. as to how they stack up against each other, i would say the Taylor might be a TAD ahead... but really both are pretty terrible for that much money. strictly speaking on quality, they are well built so if that is the quality you arew talking about then sure they are of fine quality. but if you are talking about the materials they are built of, which is just as important, then no... their quality is horrible.
If I had to take one of the two I'd take the Taylor, but I wouldn't pick either. Both Martin and Taylor make wonderful guitars, but their low end stuff is just a name on a headstock. The X series guitars are made from the same material that old 70's counter tops are made of, and if you have ever been in those cheap apartments with the wedding present green fridge and stove you will see those horrible counter tops that are desentigrating at the corners. Your martin X series will do the same thing, it's just a matter of time. The Taylor guitar at least uses plywood and a solid top. The problem with the taylor is that the bowl back design they use, which lets them skip the back bracing, makes it so the back doesn't color your sound. Basicaly it just take 1 layer off the overall tone of the instrument which I guess could be good in some applications but bad for most. Another bad thing about the taylor is that it doesn't have bindings on the top. You need binding to help protect the top from cracking due to bumping into things or from enviromental changes.

I'd look at other brands if I were you.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by fsb_ben
Does anyone feel like making a $301-$700 sticky?

Someone should. It seems like thats where the decent acoustics start.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
There are too many good instruments in that price range to be able to post something concise. I can think of 6 or 7 brands off the top of my head that service that price range very well, with multiple models for each brand. Perhaps when we do the FAQ we'll be able to incorporate the <$300 thread suggestions along with new suggestions to create a guide for all the price ranges. I guess that'll ultimately be up to our fearless leader.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Ok...so say I were to look into Alvarez. What for that price range would get a nice deep rounded sound? I'm thinking like a really smooth Jack Johnson type sound.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
yeah Alvarez or Takamine would do it for you. Maybe epiphone too. Keep in mind that Jack Johnson uses a lot of Cole Clarks and the odd Maton. Good luck finding one outside of Australia.

And yeah, fsb ben. I reckn that could be helpful, and a dont bother with an acoustic electric under $400 and a what acoustic electric to buy if i have over $400.

Im guessing that all of that is going to be intergrated into the new FAQ.
Quote by johnos
yeah Alvarez or Takamine would do it for you. Maybe epiphone too. Keep in mind that Jack Johnson uses a lot of Cole Clarks and the odd Maton. Good luck finding one outside of Australia.

And yeah, fsb ben. I reckn that could be helpful, and a dont bother with an acoustic electric under $400 and a what acoustic electric to buy if i have over $400.

Im guessing that all of that is going to be intergrated into the new FAQ.

Yeah and even if I could find one I doubt it would be under 1k
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
I've played a few of the Taylors and Martins. Tonewise I liked the DMX, but they had 5 at the store the day I bought one and they were all pretty dramatic in the difference of their sound. 1 I just outright disliked, but the one that sounded good was really nice. It seems that a hunt for a nice sounding guitar isn't dependent on the model as much as the individual guitar. At least where the Martin was concerned.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by KSUGuy

Looks really nice. I would really rather have a cutaway for leads but thats a guitar I'll definitely have to check out if i ever come across it.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm