You can't. It's not cheap.

Don't fall for the egg carton or pillow thing. It doesn't work.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
If you want to totally isolate your room from the outside and properly acoustically treat your room then it will cost you. I say for a start to try and acoustically treat your room you buy a big thick rug and cut it into 6 pieces and place one on every surface (the four walls, floor and ceiling). It won't work a miracle but it will be a start.
Although interestingly, egg cartons do work very well as sound insulation....but only if you fill them with hard-boiled eggs! The jelly-like consistency of cooked egg can actually absorb sound waves quite well.

Entirely true....but unfortunately, completely useless. Sorry
Carpets is the cheapest way. but it makes the room get pretty toasty, especially in a band practice. Just covering the walls in foam helps slightly.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Egg carton does work... But you have to do it right and place it right and if it didnt work, probably because you leave too much gap between the cartons...
What it does is reflect the sound within the egg compartments until it is gone/absorbed... Therefore it does work.. you just have to do it right and sensibly
Quote by kyle62
Although interestingly, egg cartons do work very well as sound insulation....but only if you fill them with hard-boiled eggs! The jelly-like consistency of cooked egg can actually absorb sound waves quite well.

Entirely true....but unfortunately, completely useless. Sorry

You'd have to change the eggs when they go bad... such a waste of eggs!
The best way to sound proof a room is to go into another room. If you're in a room far enough away no sound will get into the room you want sound proof.

Problem solved.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
don't play. i kidd i kidd...

i go with the thick carpet idea.
-Gear-
- Jasmine by takamine acoustic
...that's it
Quote by UrMomsMom
Egg carton does work...

No. It doesn't. Cardboard does not absorb soundwaves. Especially not cardboard as thin as an egg carton.

The best thing you can do is some mineral wool isolation.

www.atsacoustics.com

Read up on placement. They have a room analysis on their site.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Egg cartons. Yes they do work to a certain degree if done properly. Or so I hear... My father was in a band in his younger years and he says that's what they used.

But sound proofing doesn't have to be expensive, how many different opitions have you looked into?
I was told by someone that I was emo... and that I needed an emo-like username. Now I find myself laughing at myself.
If you have windows, make some tight fitting window plugs for them and stuff them with foam and whatever else you have around that will absorb sound. Thats what i did and they made a huge difference. Also, for the door you could try and put a mattress right up against it, but i think the only good way to do the door would be putting another door on the other side so theres a small air gap between them, thats how windows are soundproofed
Quote by lucid_thirteen
Egg cartons. Yes they do work to a certain degree if done properly. Or so I hear... My father was in a band in his younger years and he says that's what they used.

But sound proofing doesn't have to be expensive, how many different opitions have you looked into?

Egg cartons DO NOT WORK! I've taken acoustics classes and I know that the key to sound transmission loss is mass, which is something egg cartons do not have. The only way you can ever make egg cartons work is if you layer a whole bunch on top of each other, creating a thicker and more massive product.