I like the sound of my Valveking but it is not quite the tone I am looking for.
I am experimenting with OD/distortion pedals to beef it up a bit but I keep reading that you can shape the tone more for metal with an EQ.

I also know that Kerry King gets a decent metal tone out of a JCM800 using a 10-band EQ, and he says it sound sh*t without the EQ.

So, what kind of EQ settings would give a more metal sound?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Some people will tell you to scoop the mids, please don't do that. I hate mid scooped metal, sounds hollow, does NOT cut through the mix, undefined, muddy, etc.

I would say bump up the mids and bass and down on the treble a bit. If you have tons of treble with lots of gain it'll sound fizzy and harsh. Mids will cut through and give definition and balls, bass will give it thump and round out the tone and make it sound big. Experiment with that. And don't go too overboard with the gain

Nice avatar btw
^ if you dime the mids all the time, you can sound just as hollow and narrow as if you cut them out. you have to find at good BALANCE.
Yeah, amp up the bass and mids, drop the treble and don't go bezerk with the gain. If you can, run some compression, really thickens out the tone.
dont use the VK distortion. use a pedal.
i own the 112 version and the distortion is really muddy so itll sound like you have your mids scooped no matter what you do.
Thanks.
I have a 3-band EQ, with selectable mid point on a distortion pedal so I'll muck about with that, and get a proper EQ pedal if not.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by leeej
dont use the VK distortion. use a pedal.
i own the 112 version and the distortion is really muddy so itll sound like you have your mids scooped no matter what you do.

Eh? No way I'm choosing SS pedal distortion over valve distortion, sorry.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
On a 6-band EQ, i would do the following:

100hz - boost 6db
200hz - cut 6db
400hz - cut 3 db
800hz - boost 1db
1.6khz - boost 6db
3.2khz - cut 1db
Quote by Dr. B
Eh? No way I'm choosing SS pedal distortion over valve distortion, sorry.

a dist pedal is not SS and sadly there are pedals that sound better than the VK distortion wise.
Im not bashing the VK by any means if thats what you think. I own one and i love it. I love the cleans and i love my pedals including the distortion that are exemplified by the cleans.
Surely you should try an EQ out and think about the tone you want, and try to apply it, rather than ask for other people's opinions on a metal sound, which might be completely different to yours.
Quote by leeej
a dist pedal is not SS and sadly there are pedals that sound better than the VK distortion wise.
Im not bashing the VK by any means if thats what you think. I own one and i love it. I love the cleans and i love my pedals including the distortion that are exemplified by the cleans.

A distortion pedal IS solid state. It's got no tubes, tapes, and what not. The definition of solid state:

Solid-state refers to electronic components, devices, and systems based entirely on the semiconductor. The expression was especially prevalent in the late 1950s and early 1960s, during the transition from vacuum tube technology to the semiconductor diode and transistor. More recently, the integrated circuit (IC), the light-emitting diode (LED), and the liquid-crystal display (LCD) have evolved as further examples of solid-state devices.

Dist/od pedals use IC's and diodes, transistors, op amps and what not. In a solid state piece of technology, electron are confined to conductive materials, where in a non solid state product, like a tube, electrons flow freely.

Diming the mids can get you mid pretty easily too. Scooping the mids is perfectly fine, provided you don't go to ZERO.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 21, 2007,
It's not so much about scooping, it's more tweaking individual frequencies. Every amp will have different resonant frequencies that are more dominant, if they become too overpowering they'll mud everything up and you'll lose definition and tightness. You can use an EQ to isolate them and knock them back so the EQ curve is more sensible.

...and the extra gain boost you get doesn't exactly do you any harm either
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Don_Humpador
Surely you should try an EQ out and think about the tone you want, and try to apply it, rather than ask for other people's opinions on a metal sound, which might be completely different to yours.

Very true.
However, whilst I'd like to be stood in front of my amp, axe in hand, thrashing and tweaking away, I am in fact sat at my desk, at work, unable to do such a thing
Whiling away the hours on UG is just one way of passing the time, and learning one or two things I can put into practice later.

Thanks to those who have made suggestions!
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Less treble and more Mids? I think not.
Im running through a Crate GL1200 halfstack, and I get quite a nice ass tone using my... equalizing method.

Since obviously, every amp is different in the presence of certain frequencies.. its bound to be slightly different for everyone, but heres just what works for me.

Low - 5-7
Mid - 4
High - 5.5-7
Shape - 5.5-7
Gain (solo channel) 4-7 [rhythm] 6-9 [lead]

I certainly do not scoop mids completely... I just kick them back the perfect amount so that the distortion has much more of an edge. Basically, I try to model my amp like the distortion used in "Battery" --- 'Tallica

But yes, you should try something along those lines
Two more options with the VK: texture and resonance. For maximum distortion turn texture entirely to Class A and set the resonance to "tight." Distortion boost on and crank the gain. You will sacrifice power at these settings but your distortion will be more articulate and heavier. You should still have plenty of power for small gigs.
Option two: When you need max distortion with high volume (for larger gigs) set the texture knob to full Class A/B, boost on, resonance on tight and gain to taste. You will get more power but sacrifice some articulation, mostly due to the stock speaker.
An eq pedal in the effects loop is an excellent idea, but be aware that the settings will vary from room to room.
^
Great advice thanks. I have lots of things to try now.

However, I have the head, so no stock speakers
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
On my eq I make the shape of one of those handle bar mustaches lol. Basically the center mid is boosted some as are the other mids around it and bass and treble are boosted a little bit, then I tweak each one to get a chunky tight and not flabby distorted tone.