Aloha everyone!

Currently I’m saving for a guitar, but I’m somewhat unsure of which one to buy, my budget range is somewhat below €400 euro, but i seriously can't pick out a brand, let alone a guitar, so i seriously need some help here
well where are you? and if you are anywhere you can get a schecter....get it! those seem to be the best for the least amount of money and im pretty sure you can get a decent one on ebay!
let me put is this way... i have two and i wouldn't trade them for anything... except a nice tube amp or another schecter. so go with what you like but if you can try a schecter in a shop or from a buddy do it! you won't be dissapointed!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
What styles do you, or want, to play?

Dont forget Ibanez
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
I have started less than a year ago on a Ibanez. It was a jumpstart pack, about 260 euro here in the Netherlands. I really do like the guitar but the amp is not that great tbh.

I would recommend buying an Ibanez for the good price/quality and I would go for 2 single coils and a humbucker for versatility. Instead of an amp you might want to consider a line2 toneport. You connect it to your computer through usb and you will have access to a lot of effects and presets. You will be able to try out lots of types of pedals and mods which is nice if you do not know what stuff you would like to buy later on. You have to have a set of decent speakers with your pc of course.
thanks, i'll check the Schecter out!

Quote by BFun
What styles do you, or want, to play?

Dont forget Ibanez

as for styles, mainly metal, hard rock, but sometimes im sure ill feel in the good for some rock :3

And , i looked into the Ibanez yea, but , as any brand, there way to many guitars, do they really make much of a difference ( the guitars of the same brand )?

And, a friend of mine also has a Ibanez, GRG170 i think, i could play sometimes on it, but, i still suck horribly, and i dont thin k i can make a decision abotu a guitar when i cant even properly play it :P

EDIT: didnt see shizo's message earlier, but yea, i live in the netherlands to.
I was already considering a Ibanez, but cant make up my mind just yet, but if i would take a Ibanez, i would take this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_cbundle_194.html?gk=gieglh&cbcid=1152&art=52355
Last edited by Vermadus at Nov 21, 2007,
well i didn't make the connection that you haven't even played before...lol dont buy a schecter then.... not yet... its a great guitar but if you get discouraged your gonna be pissed at the money you spent on one.... um if you have a pawn shop near you buy something to get you stared. if you have played a little and like it then go ahead with the schecter but just remeber.. if you suck so will the guitar... so just becuase you buy and 800 dllar guitar it doesn't mean your gonna shred like steve vai.... but hey its your money...! go with the schecter!
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Quote by SchecterFreak
well i didn't make the connection that you haven't even played before...lol dont buy a schecter then.... not yet... its a great guitar but if you get discouraged your gonna be pissed at the money you spent on one.... um if you have a pawn shop near you buy something to get you stared. if you have played a little and like it then go ahead with the schecter but just remeber.. if you suck so will the guitar... so just becuase you buy and 800 dllar guitar it doesn't mean your gonna shred like steve vai.... but hey its your money...! go with the schecter!

Well, i checked it on ebay, prize is around the 400 dollar ish.
But yea, i agree, feels like i should start with somethig cheaper first, to get started!
But still, so many different guitars you can get for a "cheaper" prize =p
dude go to a pawn shop and just get a squier strat and learn on that... i learned on an epiphone les paul junior look into those... they come with a pretty good package these days!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
yeah.... um any ones in particular your looking at? cause there are a lot of differences there... the affinitey series is a sss guitar set up... which is all single coil pickups... the hss is a humbucker single single set up... so the difference in pickups mean more monies... the fretboard length also changes the cost...and the quality of the guitar... typically a maple necked guitar is going to be worth more then a rosewood... i dont know why thats just the way it is... if you give me one or two guitars from there i can show you the differences in them easier then the whole page!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Well considering this is your first guitar, you'll also have to choose a decent amp. Looking at the styles of music you want to play, I recommend Roland's line of Cube amps.
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
Don't forget that you're going to need an amplifier as well...

Quote by SchecterFreak
yeah.... um any ones in particular your looking at? cause there are a lot of differences there... the affinitey series is a sss guitar set up... which is all single coil pickups... the hss is a humbucker single single set up... so the difference in pickups mean more monies... the fretboard length also changes the cost...and the quality of the guitar... typically a maple necked guitar is going to be worth more then a rosewood... i dont know why thats just the way it is... if you give me one or two guitars from there i can show you the differences in them easier then the whole page!

I know you mean well, but you really haven't got the slightest clue about what you're talking about....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
as for the amp, i'm thinking of buying this one: LINE6 SPIDER III 15
Unless i get a mass responds that that amp is a pure failure, but i heard it's pretty good :p

And, schechterfreak, i dont really understand to much what you just said there :p

EDIT: seriously got to read better anyway, schechter here are 2 guitars which im interested in:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_std_strat_mn_ab.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vintmod_strat_sss_mr.htm

The easely visible things are the short neck and such , but, do your thing
Last edited by Vermadus at Nov 21, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
Don't forget that you're going to need an amplifier as well...

I know you mean well, but you really haven't got the slightest clue about what you're talking about....

well then enlighten us both with your knowlegde....
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by Vermadus
Unless i get a mass responds that that amp is a pure failure, but i heard it's pretty good :p

And, schechterfreak, i dont really understand to much what you just said there :p

EDIT: seriously got to read better anyway, schechter here are 2 guitars which i'm interested in:

Line6 amps are often a big no-no here.
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
Quote by AussieVesti
Line6 amps are often a big no-no here.

Care to explain why? in the meanwhile ill go check out what you recommended, the Roland's line of Cube amps.

Also mind to tell the difference?
Quote by Vermadus
Care to explain why? in the meanwhile ill go check out what you recommended, the Roland's line of Cube amps.

Also mind to tell the difference?

From what I've heard, the sound from low end Line 6 amps is very digital. You won't be getting much of a natural sound
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
Quote by AussieVesti
From what I've heard, the sound from low end Line 6 amps is very digital. You won't be getting much of a natural sound

Right, woudnt want that, natural sound sounds so much better

But hmmm, any specific product you suggest/recommend of the Roland cube amps?
Quote by Vermadus
Right, woudnt want that, natural sound sounds so much better

But hmmm, any specific product you suggest/recommend of the Roland cube amps?

Going by word of mouth, if you're looking for an amp with a solid set of effects, the 30W version would be great. If running on a little less money, the Microcube would also do very well. To be honest though, the whole series is quite exceptional.
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
Quote by AussieVesti
Going by word of mouth, if you're looking for an amp with a solid set of effects, the 30W version would be great. If running on a little less money, the Microcube would also do very well. To be honest though, the whole series is quite exceptional.

Right, this one? http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_cube30x.htm

But if so, even if its pricy, im sure it would be a good quality, and, worth it!
And besides, i work for my own money, and want to spend it in this way =P
Quote by thunderscreem
Ibanez maybe, but if you can afford some more then choose les paul or maybe more like Godin =)

I think i'll go for a Ibanez, checked for the prices of a Godin guitar, but they are just a little to pricy, and seriously to pricy since this is my starting guitar.

So i think im going for: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_grg170dx_bkn_egitarre.htm as a starting guitar and the 30w version of the Roland cube
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_cbundle_194.html?gk=gieglh&cbcid=1152&art=52355

Hear, this combo is good.

PS:

They are all left-handed. So if you're not left handed. You shouldn't be getting that combo thing.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Well, i usually use my left hand for everything, but, if im right, if you get a right handed guitar, you use your left hand for the neck right?
Quote by Vermadus

EDIT: seriously got to read better anyway, schechter here are 2 guitars which im interested in:

The easely visible things are the short neck and such , but, do your thing
Its a pure failure, get a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube instead.

Line 6 Spiders CAN give you some problems, heartburn, tone diarrhea, nausea is among a few, plus they cause heart failure in older folks.
Quote by Vermadus
I think i'll go for a Ibanez, checked for the prices of a Godin guitar, but they are just a little to pricy, and seriously to pricy since this is my starting guitar.

So i think im going for: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_grg170dx_bkn_egitarre.htm as a starting guitar and the 30w version of the Roland cube
Yep the Cube 30W is a good amp.
Quote by Vermadus
Well, i usually use my left hand for everything, but, if im right, if you get a right handed guitar, you use your left hand for the neck right?

Yeah, but you should probably get a left-handed guitar if you're left handed.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
IMO the best advice (everyone is going to tell you to get what they think is the best) is to pick up and play what you are considering buying. Each guitar is different (brand to brand, model to model, etc...) in feel, sound, and emotions evoked.

Brand loyalty is fine, but even within a brand, you need to make sure you spend your money on something that feels good and sounds right. It may take awhile, but once you find the right guitar for you, it's worth the hunt.
Gibson CS-336
Gibson LP classic
Fender strat - '57 reissue
Fender strat - American Standard
Gretsch 5120
Fender Acoustic
Fender Twin Re-verb
Misc pedals
Quote by schizo83
I have started less than a year ago on a Ibanez. It was a jumpstart pack, about 260 euro here in the Netherlands. I really do like the guitar but the amp is not that great tbh.

I would recommend buying an Ibanez for the good price/quality and I would go for 2 single coils and a humbucker for versatility. Instead of an amp you might want to consider a line2 toneport. You connect it to your computer through usb and you will have access to a lot of effects and presets. You will be able to try out lots of types of pedals and mods which is nice if you do not know what stuff you would like to buy later on. You have to have a set of decent speakers with your pc of course.

one night, I had a vision. An angel appeared before me and spoke the message of God. The angel said 'thou shalt not buy the ibanez jumpstart guitar.'
God rules.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by efria
IMO the best advice (everyone is going to tell you to get what they think is the best) is to pick up and play what you are considering buying. Each guitar is different (brand to brand, model to model, etc...) in feel, sound, and emotions evoked.

Brand loyalty is fine, but even within a brand, you need to make sure you spend your money on something that feels good and sounds right. It may take awhile, but once you find the right guitar for you, it's worth the hunt.

I second that motion.

Many great guitars out there but made differently. Different scale lengths, fretboard radiuses, neck profiles, hardwares, fretwires, etc.

Archtops or flattops? Need I go on? Only way to find what you want is to get your hands on as many guitars as you can and try 'em out. See what suits you and then we can opt some models for you to try.

Don't make the same mistakes I did. I bought an LP copy because I love Les Pauls. I play the hell out of my archtop LP but it get uncomfortable soon so I bought an used PRS and it fits very nicely but the fretboard's too flat for me. I sold it later and I have a pretty good idea what I want in a guitar. I'm having a guitar custom made that will be flat but shaped like a steinberger, have a 12" fretboard radius and 25.5" scale with 24 frets. Not cheap though but it should be a keeper and comfortable one at that.

Do some research and you won't be very disappointed. Later you will have a very good idea what you want so good luck matey.
guess ill just check out every single guitar i can get my hands on, got some time before i got the money to buy it anyway =P
but atleas im sure of the amp, so thats a start atleast =P
Great! I'm not very good at suggesting amps but I have an epi valve jr and a fender gdec jr amps that I'm very happy with.
Well, im toing for the roland cube 30w at the moment, but, i just checked, and saw its a amp for a keyboard, so hmmm, will that even work? >_>
I'm not sure what's the differences are between the keyboard amp and a guitar amp but there's also an acoustic guitar amp. My guess are that they excel in certain areas for the instruments they're made for.

I've seen so many recommendations for the roland cube 30 so it has to be a terrific amp and that's from the folks with guitars. Are you sure it's a keyboard amp?
at thomann.de it says its catorigized with keybords, but i dont mind to much, if its for a guitar, it will do for me :P

But hmmm, picking a guitar will stil be hard, and the onlythign i can do really is check and try out as many guitars as i can, since i still cnat decide wether to takr the Ibanez GRG170, or the epiphone les paul standard, or a strat, or some other brand, =P