You all have probably heard this before but I need some information...I've been playing for about 5 years now and 3 of which have been on a Peavey Transtube 212. I think it's time I stepped my game up a little bit. I have a desired tone that I almost have now and that I have in mind and I'm wondering which amp would suit me best...

I want a crunchy tone that's real heavy...I know that's not saying too much but that's the best I can do to help describe it. So basically I want an amp thats going to give me a lot of low end but with clarity...Mind you I play on either a LP with EMG 81/85 (Zakk Wylde set) or a stock Epiphone Goth Explorer (soon to be upgraded to same EMG setup) and a Digitech Metal Master.

I was thinking a Marshall DSL or Mesa Dual Rectifier. I threw Krank in there because I've noticed a lot of bands these days using them and I myself have never played one so I wanted to see what kind of opinions I got back about it and what Krank has to offer. Thanks for your help now let's hear it lol
Any specific tone? Peaveys are also worth a look. And since you're considering a Dual Recto, you have tons of options. ENGL, used Framus, Diamond amps, Rivera amps...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Ugh Krank... they suck haha. They endorse anyone who'll except it but if you watch studio vids or see them live a lot of the bands don't actually use them

Marshall is generally higher mid voiced, and recto's lower mid voiced. Its all preference, try them out.
No Kranks, lol.

With the Mesa's well...you have to try them out. Im not a fan of the rectifier series. Try looking into the F-series (Specifically the f-50) and the Marks ( i.e. IV)
Quote by xXDrifterXx
i would say use Hughes&Kettner my setup is great with the dime/59'

Haha, Dimebucker is a treblefest.
I don't like Kranks either, and I think they're overpriced, but they work for some people (Erock503).

Threadstater needs to say what kind of sound he's looking for...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by ASGTrace
With the Mesa's well...you have to try them out. Im not a fan of the rectifier series. Try looking into the F-series (Specifically the f-50) and the Marks ( i.e. IV)

+1, Both miles better than rectos and the dsl (imo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by aznrockerdude
Haha, Dimebucker is a treblefest.
I don't like Kranks either, and I think they're overpriced, but they work for some people (Erock503).

Threadstater needs to say what kind of sound he's looking for...

lol, I'm getting notorious, it seems like anytime Krank gets mentioned, my name gets brought up. I'm the damned Krank Krusader, lol. I like the amps, but I don't think they are the "end all be all" by any means. I've liked the tones you can get out of them for what I like to play. As for price, I got a ridiculous deal on a halfstack, but they go under 1k for the head all day used. I greatly prefer it over the Recto I owned. I doubt I would take it over the Mark IV though.

Quote by Say Ocean
Ugh Krank... they suck haha. They endorse anyone who'll except it but if you watch studio vids or see them live a lot of the bands don't actually use them

actually, I have seen endorsed bands using them live, more than once. I've heard this rumor a bunch of times, and have yet to see one shred of proof to back it up. The "specially modded" thing is popular too. Only problem is, Krank will mod their heads for anyone, any way you want. It's not exclusive to endorsees.

Also, just like your recto, you have to know how to dial it in. You should know that's important. Have you ever even played one, or just hate them on faith?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ I didn't say everytime, but it definately happens.

Played a Krank? Many times. My friend had one, sold it, got another, which he still has. You can get some pretty decent tones out of it, but its not my cup of tea, and I just think they are priced a bit high.

And as for Mark IV being loads better than the recto, eh. Very different beasts. Just depends on what you want. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just very different. I don't play tons of leads so thats probably why I have a recto though
Quote by Say Ocean

Played a Krank? Many times. My friend had one, sold it, got another, which he still has. You can get some pretty decent tones out of it, but its not my cup of tea, and I just think they are priced a bit high.

And as for Mark IV being loads better than the recto, eh. Very different beasts. Just depends on what you want. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just very different. I don't play tons of leads so thats probably why I have a recto though

Same price as a dual recto but has a great lead's. Rectos are usable for rhythms and thats about it, unless you're using a boost or OD to tighten up your tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Same price as a dual recto but has a great lead's. Rectos are usable for rhythms and thats about it, unless you're using a boost or OD to tighten up your tone.

I like the giant thump of my 2 chan triple

I would definately take a mark IV over a 3 chan. The main reason I ended up with the triple was because I found it for $750 though. I'm getting a boost soon, and as for leads, eh I don't do many. Metal rhythms is where its at for me.
Quote by Say Ocean

meh, ditto on the cup of tea, the Rectos just don't do it for me. I will say though, my friends 2 ch Trec did sound a lot better than the newer DR I had. I spent countless hours trying to dial out the fizz and woof, and just couldn't do it. I haven't found a recto that sounded like his old blackface Trec yet though.

As for the pricing, I agree, the new price is high. However, they do use very good components. I've taken mine apart, and looked at couple others. From the other amps I've owned, and seen gutshots of, it kills in build quality compared to some of the big names that are uber popular.

The used price on the other hand, isn't really bad. The Stein goes for around a grand, the Rev considerably less. That's not that high compared to other high quality metal amps if you like the tone. If you don't like it, it's way overpriced, lol. You don't hear about a ton of problems on tour with those heads though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by xXDrifterXx
i would say use Hughes&Kettner my setup is great with the dime/59'

but tehy're like 3000 bucks for an amp.

But they're amazing

throw krank out the window, and DSL isnt in the same leauge as a dual recto.
go to guitar center. Show them that you have money. try every stack in the building, and u'll prolly find one you like

But i hear that the mark IV (mesa/boogie) is the king of all amps.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I honestly don't find the rectos tight enough for rhytms. The notes stick together too much IMO.

Either that, or I'm not that great at guitar, and if the amp is the least bit picky then I'm going to suck. It's probably this reason...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Erock503
I've taken mine apart, and looked at couple others. From the other amps I've owned, and seen gutshots of, it kills in build quality compared to some of the big names that are uber popular.

Cough Framus cough cough.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I honestly don't find the rectos tight enough for rhytms. The notes stick together too much IMO.

Either that, or I'm not that great at guitar, and if the amp is the least bit picky then I'm going to suck. It's probably this reason...

Haha eh I don't play tech death or anything. I like my grooving metal riff stuff and I'm gonna be adding a boost to tighten it up. For now I like the thump it has
I've yet to hear a Krank sound good, at least for the money!

you want high gain and clarity. check out the Bogner Uberschall and Rivera K-tre. massive gain and bottom end with clarity.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by kool98769
But i hear that the mark IV (mesa/boogie) is the king of all amps.

I own a Mark IV, and love the amp. Would never sell it. It gets a ton of praise, and rightfully so IMO. The funny part is, the Krank reminds me a lot of a pissed off sounding Mark IV, yet they get dragged thru the garbage bin with "sucks" or "throw krank out the window". I find that pretty amusing.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader

you want high gain and clarity. check out the Bogner Uberschall and Rivera K-tre. massive gain and bottom end with clarity.

Uhhhh I wouldn't say the Uberschall is tightest or clearest amp ever dude.

They ****ing kick ass though
Quote by Say Ocean
Uhhhh I wouldn't say the Uberschall is tightest or clearest amp ever dude.

They ****ing kick ass though

have to agree with you there, on both counts.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader

Expensive =/= good

They're both great amps, but for their price the Bogner could be much better.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Expensive =/= good

They're both great amps, but for their price the Bogner could be much better.

True, but the Uberschall is a damn good amp. Haven't tried the other one though.

I buy used anyway haha I don't care what the list is.
To me it really seems like the dual rectifier really gets judged a bit harder than most amps because they've become so popular with...well...everyone these days, imo.

I'm a firm believer that a Dual Rectifier is fully capable of creating tones completely equal to that of a Mark IV. At least for the kind of death metal lead / rythm tones that I look for in an amp.

Has anyone ever heard anything about / used a polish amp called a Laboga Mr. Hector? My band's going to record a new Ep soon and I have the opportunity to use one, but I really have no knowlege of the amp and I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.
Quote by kurtshapedbox
To me it really seems like the dual rectifier really gets judged a bit harder than most amps because they've become so popular with...well...everyone these days, imo.

I'm a firm believer that a Dual Rectifier is fully capable of creating tones completely equal to that of a Mark IV. At least for the kind of death metal lead / rythm tones that I look for in an amp.

Has anyone ever heard anything about / used a polish amp called a Laboga Mr. Hector? My band's going to record a new Ep soon and I have the opportunity to use one, but I really have no knowlege of the amp and I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

Erock503 owned one for about a week. I'd ask him about it. Just looking at it, and talking to him a few times about it, the main thing I can remember is how few controls it had.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah a lot of people jump on the recto hating band wagon because of nu-metal and also the fact that everyone and their mother has one

Its cool if the recto isn't your thing, but to say they flat out suck ass.....
Quote by Say Ocean
Yeah a lot of people jump on the recto hating band wagon because of nu-metal and also the fact that everyone and their mother has one

Its cool if the recto isn't your thing, but to say they flat out suck ass.....

Don't get me wrong, I like the recto tone...and it's not a bad amp. Just a little overrated. I guarantee 1/4 people buy them because a band they like plays them. They could try it out, not really like the tone, but go along with it because James Hetfield used one.

For the price of a new recto ($1,700-$1,900) you could buy a used roadking, roadster, mark IV, Triaxis, and maybe a Mark IIC+. A standard recto next to any of those, well, you can say the recto flat out sucks ass.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio