hi my names chris and im a guitar player.

i know very little about tube amplifiers. own a peavey 5150 signature that just blew up last night. i was having a jam session and all of a sudden it stopped working. the standby light went out and it made no more sound. i went to smell it right away and it smelled pretty hot, although i dont spend a lot of time smelling my amp during normal operation. the tubes that i can see through the back still light up when i turn on the power switch but when i turn on the standby switch nothing happens. ive been meaning to get it retubed and gone over, but due to financial difficulties and the fact that i dont use it very much i havent. i dont know how long its been since its been in the shop, im at least the third owner of this amp. if anybody has had this happen or could explain to me what happened, and possibly how much its going to cost to get it fixed i would be hugely appreciative.

thanks in advance,
chris
Not sure there have been alot of guys on here blowing amps up using a guitar cable to hook up the cabinet instead of a speaker cable. The syptoms you give sound the same. No lights, smells funny, and quit while playing loud.
Maybe you simply blew the fuse?
Check in the back of the amp, and in the plug.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Maybe you simply blew the fuse?
Check in the back of the amp, and in the plug.

+1

Or a power tube which lead to the fuse blowing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would have hoped he had checked the fuse before asking on here. I know we all hope its something so simple. But as the tubes still glow unlikely.
Just because it still glows doesn't mean it's still good...
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
yes i checked the fuse and it is fine. the power light wouldnt light up and the tubes wouldnt glow if the fuse was out right? i am using a speaker cable to connect the amp to the cab, and the impedance was set right...that was my first fear, ive blown up several power amps due to wrong ohm loads....do tubes burn out like that? i know that they gradually deteriorate with age, but do they blow out all of a sudden? it might have a LONG time since this amp has been gone through, i dont know. i guess ill save up some money and take it into a shop.

thanks guys
chris
Have you checked your driver tube? It should be the preamp tube on the far left or the far right.

If the silver bulb is white then it's blown.

I don't think this would effect the light not cutting on though..

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
maybe the switch broke or something. But it definitely sounds like a fuse.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
tubaboy: is there more than one fuse on this amp? i checked the one right next to where the power cord enters the chassis. and it is not blown. i guess a broken switch is a possibility, but it died while i was playing, not like i just turned it on and then it wouldnt go.

MESAexplorer: i can see four tubes looking through the back of the amp. i was assuming, and i think i am assuming right, that these are the power tubes beings there are 4 of those and 5 preamp tubes...where in the amp are the preamp tubes?

i do not know anything about the circuitry of this amp. but the symptoms are as follows:

1. power turns on and the 4 tubes that i can see through the back light up

2. amp makes no sound at all (no hum or buzz) when standby switch is turned to on position (or when it is off for that matter)

3. the red power light glows, but the standby light does not turn on when it should

thanks for the interest guys!
The preamp tubes are usually covered by metal sleeves. They have springs in them, if you twist them they should pop right off.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio