Need technical advice on a computer i may be purchasing on Black Friday

so my dad directed me to this computer, looks like he's gonna get me this cause i need a laptop and he wanted me to find out if it had the capability to put in another RAM card to satisfy the RAM cravings of a Vista computer. i wanted to downgrade to XP but he wants me to find out if its got the room. also im thinking about upgrading the video card for the hell of it, and im new to laptops so any suggestions on a powerful and cost effective card? much appreciated and Happy Thanksgiving.

EDIT-idk what happened but the link didnt paste...here guys sorry

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/GR993UA%2523ABA?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Last edited by HyperBoy2519 at Nov 22, 2007,
If you're looking to upgrade it, then yes, get an extra 1gb of ram and a GE Force 7800 video card.

But it's definatly compatible for a downgrade to XP if its compatible with vista.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Last edited by Seth Shadows at Nov 22, 2007,
All the advice I can give you is this:

I have a Windows Vista Basic version and is is truly the most sh*tty computer I have ever had, and I once had XP. It's taken as long as 8 minutes simply to open up microsoft paint-brush. If I so much as right-click on my desktop, it might freeze.

My father has a Windows Vista PREMIUM laptop. It is amazing. It runs very smooth, and is very fast. The graphics are also better.

So remember there is an incredible difference between Basic and Premium. Basic might leave you screaming the f-word at the computer monitor like me.
The laptop probably will have 1 or 2 free ram slots, and if it doesn't you can swap out what you're already using

EDIT: you can upgrade graphics cards on laptops?
Quote by The Madcap
All the advice I can give you is this:

I have a Windows Vista Basic version and is is truly the most sh*tty computer I have ever had, and I once had XP. It's taken as long as 8 minutes simply to open up microsoft paint-brush. If I so much as right-click on my desktop, it might freeze.

My father has a Windows Vista PREMIUM laptop. It is amazing. It runs very smooth, and is very fast. The graphics are also better.

So remember there is an incredible difference between Basic and Premium. Basic might leave you screaming the f-word at the computer monitor like me.

There.

If it has basic. DO NOT Get it.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
i jsut rechecked it, and it is Premium. this laptop will be used for games and recording, along with basic everyday use. games built for XP can be played on vista correct? i am just clarifying as i may be showing my dad this. what about recording programs? does toneport work on Vista?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
bump due to the fact that i was reading the specs on circutcity.com and i noticed it said "RAM expandable to 1 gig." Does that mean that it can have the 1 gig it does plus another or its only got space for 1 Gig period? can a 2 or 3 gig card be fitted into a 1 gig slot?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=c717nr&searchSection=All&go.x=0&go.y=0#whatsinthebox
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12