I recently got a Fender Stratocaster that was made in Japan, in the '84-'87 year bracket. Pickups are HSS.

And uh, I can't get it to work when plugged into the amp.

Checked the wiring, and it's obviously a bit effed up, I've searched all-over, including this site, and I'm out of ideas as to why it won't work, can anyone help me out?
Is there any sound/noise/anything when it's plugged in?

If the wiring's a bit effed up, you should probably gut it and start from scratch. Wiring a strat from the ground up isn't impossibble if you've never done it, but with a good diagram, a few hours, and paitence, you can do it.

How the hell do you spell paitence?
Patience? You got it close enough I think.

And actually, no, no sound at all. It worked when I was first playin', but I tightened up the volume and tone knobs, (being my ocd self), and it wouldn't put out any sound after that.

I was thinking about just startin' from the ground up, I'd need to go buy some fresh wiring and such wouldn't I?

Edit: If it isn't obvious, I'm not exactly experienced when it comes to the mechanics of electric guitar.
Last edited by Chainer at Nov 22, 2007,
Yup. Do you do much sautering? You'll need sauter, an iron, spare wire, some wire cutters, and needle nose pliers. A de-solderig bulb would help too. Un-screw the pickguard, and post some pics of what's down there.
If only I had a camera. >_>

That's the thing, it's not like a normal Stratocaster where all the wiring and such is underneath the pickguard, my Strat' has no pickguard.

All the wiring is underneath a panel you unscrew on the back, quite unique if you ask me.
Fairly unique for a Strat, but common on many other guitars. Can you tell me your pickup/knob/switch compliment? How many of what type, and each?
Bottom pick-up is a humbucker, and the other two are single Dunlop Performers.

One volume and one tone knobs, and three switches of which I have no idea are called. I can tell you that the top two only have two selector options, the bottom switch is a triple selector.
well, have your knobs all the way up, you have 20 configs of the switch to play with till you get a sound?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
No disrespect, but I've already tried that man.

Looks like the only option is to "gut it" as the.spine.surfs so wonderfully put it. Haha.
Nahhh, I can do it.

Any kinda of specific wiring I need? I mean, the dude who had it before me has all differents kinds wire, including gauge differences.
Thanks dude, I haven't been able to find one.

Not even at Fender's website. >_>
That's kind crazy. i usually use that link for most of my diagram needs, unless I can find one for the specific model I'm working on.
I don't blame ya. It's a very well put together website.

Awesome find, I have to say.