Hello all i am in need of a new amp. I have been looking for weeks now and have been trying to narrow it down. I play a few different styles Blues, Rock, Punk, and Metal (not death metal but like Metallica and Megadeth. Funny though because i do also listen to the heavier stuff.) I do not want a huge 100w half stack. But i do want a tube, preferably combo amp.

I went to Guitar Center the other day and played a few of the amps i was looking at, and i only narrowed it down to i don't like the sound of the valve king. I saw a demo on youtube on the Palomino v16 and that seemed very nice other than it has only one channel. I have not played a show yet but very close to getting a full band. I have me a bassist, and a second guitar player. I know tube amps are loud so i need one to comfortably get over a drummer.

Now the price range comes into effect here. I will be getting a job soon and im sure my parents will help me out here. I asked for an amp for Christmas and they said they will think about it, but i also told them i would get a job and pay for most. They said lets just see what happens. I am not afraid of buying used in fact thats what i want to do. So i would say probably the most i would like to spend is 700 USD but if there is something that is want i want and is more i will expand the budget.

Sorry for all this text, but thanks for helping me out!

EDIT: Sorry for forgetting this but i see that many of you recommend the peavey classic 30 amp. Now it seems nice but with a pedal could it get metallica like tones? Because i see i can get one pretty easily used and not very expensive at all. Thanks!
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
Last edited by myguitarskucks1 at Nov 22, 2007,
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
I've boosted a Classic 30 with a Boss SD-1 once, you can get a pretty hot rodded tone out of it. it can do Maiden style distortion, and I suppose if you add a bit of drive from the SD-1, it could do Metallica, but nothing heavier.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I've boosted a Classic 30 with a Boss SD-1 once, you can get a pretty hot rodded tone out of it. it can do Maiden style distortion, and I suppose if you add a bit of drive from the SD-1, it could do Metallica, but nothing heavier.

Ok thanks, of course i would have to go and try one out before buying but cool. You have any suggestions?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Yeah, The Laney VC30. It can do all of those genres no problem. I don't really know what they go for new.
Yeah, Laney or you could look at used gear as well- I got a 25W tube combo that sounds great for $125.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Yeah, Laney or you could look at used gear as well- I got a 25W tube combo that sounds great for $125.

Im going to check out the Laney now. What tube combo are you talking about?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Either the VC or the LC would work well.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
For that price range $700 USD you should really check into a Vox AC15 combo. It's got enough versatility as a single channel and it works well with an assortment of Pedals. 15 watts of Class A is PLENTY to out blast a drummer and/or Gig with. You'll most likely be mic'd with a PA.....so power isn't too much of a concern.

But what you will get with that Vox over those other choices in that price range is some of the best TONE money can buy.

TONE does not = Distortion. You guitar will never sound sweeter.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by JasonUGA311
For that price range $700 USD you should really check into a Vox AC15 combo. It's got enough versatility as a single channel and it works well with an assortment of Pedals. 15 watts of Class A is PLENTY to out blast a drummer and/or Gig with. You'll most likely be mic'd with a PA.....so power isn't too much of a concern.

But what you will get with that Vox over those other choices in that price range is some of the best TONE money can buy.

TONE does not = Distortion. You guitar will never sound sweeter.

Ok thanks alot, i am going to look up the AC now. You have any pedal suggestions like an overdrive or something that would get me the heavier tones if need be.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
That Vox AC15 is intriguing me right now. The only thing i worry about it will it be able to get those heavier tones. The laney looks nice too. Do you guys have any more suggestions?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
You'll need a distortion pedal to get a heavy tone out of the AC15, it doesn't really have enough gain to do heavier stuff. The cleans on that amp are to die for though. Plug a Stratocaster through it and you're in tonal bliss.
I'd suggest a Traynor YCV40 or YCV50. Will do all the styles you're looking for just great. Incredible cleans and killer distortion (just get a good OD pedal for heavy metal tones). They go dirt cheap used on eBay. Seriously check 'em out!

There's also the YCV80, but 80 watts is overkill (unless you want the headroom).