i was listening to nirvanas cover of where did you sleep last night by leadbelly, which i think has to be one of the most emotional songs ever written.

and i was thinking about how it could be even better...

so.
are there any blues artists that don't play standard 12 bar blues, just really sad, slow paced stuff? especially if they have guitar solos (electric or acoustic, doesn't matter) a bit of harmonica, and if you want to get really specific, deep johnny cash-style vocals.

cheers.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Off topic, but, I absolutely love that song. It came from out of nowhere on that album and proves Kurt actually had talent as a musician.

Just wanted to throw that out there.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Heyyy, I'm listening to Four Horsemen from London Calling right now

I'd say go for anything that goes by the term 'delta blues' - it's arguably one of the more passionate forms of the genre. As the gentleman above me said, both John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters are considered delta artists, and it's less characterised by 12 bar/8 bar hooks than gutsy guitar and vocals ("aaah'll just keep on a-crawlin', until the day I diiie, because aah'm a craaaawlin' kingsnake bayyy-beh...")

Also try Robert Johnson and Son House - two very big names in the genre.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
awesome, thanks fellas.

and also, to the first guy who responded, what annoys me is that kurt could nail the solo to heartbreaker, which is easily one of led zeps hardest solos, if not THE hardest. and people say jimmy page was awesome, but kurt was ****. i don't get it.

thanks, i've heard of john lee hooker and muddy waters, but never checked em out before...i've only heard robert johnson out of all those artists. pretty sad, ey?
Quote by B4Dkarma

Quote by pistols
awesome, thanks fellas.

and also, to the first guy who responded, what annoys me is that kurt could nail the solo to heartbreaker, which is easily one of led zeps hardest solos, if not THE hardest. and people say jimmy page was awesome, but kurt was ****. i don't get it.

thanks, i've heard of john lee hooker and muddy waters, but never checked em out before...i've only heard robert johnson out of all those artists. pretty sad, ey?

try bukka white and howlin wolf too

and rory gallagher too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE

and thanks to mud, first time in my life i get called gentleman by a man
awesome, thanks heaps.

can't check out the youtube vid just yet though...new comp doesn't have the right software installed just yet.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Blind Willie Johnson
Mississippi Fred McDowell

In fact, what you might want to do is get one of those boxsets/collections with a bunch of different delta/country blues singers on it. They're not always brilliant, but it would give you a better idea of who you want to look further into.

Probably my favourite kind of music, and deffo the reason I started playing guitar.
Quote by chobe
Blind Willie Johnson

In fact, what you might want to do is get one of those boxsets/collections with a bunch of different delta/country blues singers on it. They're not always brilliant, but it would give you a better idea of who you want to look further into.

Probably my favourite kind of music, and deffo the reason I started playing guitar.

Very good idea. What first put me onto some of the classics was CD compilations with great blues artists...
Quote by chobe
Blind Willie Johnson

Brilliant. Blind Willie Johnson's music is dripping with emotion. Plus, he was great at the guitar.
i reckon the compilation idea was probably best, so i might try to fid one with as many of these artists on it as i can get

cheers everyone
Quote by B4Dkarma