I've been in a band for awhile and we are now looking to record. I play guitar in the band, and I am really looking for some pointers and what I need to get the sound I want.

What I have
- Intel Macbook
- GarageBand
- Effects Processor (Pedal)

What I have been doing
I have been plugging into my pedal and then into my Macbook. I have been trying to record this way but I can not get the sound I want. The sound is way to fuzzy. When I use my pedal through my amp it sounds good. However, plugging it up and trying to record just is not what I am looking for.

What Sound I Want
We are a metalcore band. Therefore, I am looking for that type of sound/recording. Some examples are As I Lay Dying and August Burns Red etc.

I want to be able to record that type of sound, and it sound atleast almost as good as studio. Almost anything is better than what I am getting now.

The Real Question..
What exactly do I need? What do you suggest?

Do I need an Audio Interface? Preamp? Other things?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to read this!!
ya, direct guitar > distortion > computer will sound like ****. i tried it, i know. You can use an interface, or you can use garageband to get the distortion, you can clean line in your guitar. or you can get a mic and then use that to record from your amp.
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Even GarageBands distortions are not what I am looking for.. Also have you found a better solution for yourself?
before, i bought a 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter or w/e and direct, clean guitar into recording programs. Then i "legally" downloaded amplitube, Guitar Rig 2. These gave me some nice sounds. I recently bought a Line 6 UX1 Toneport, which has given me a nice sound with my distortion pedal. I just needed some sort of cheap interface tho. You can get something other than that. But if you look for some guitar effects programs out there, (may need to torrent) it can give you some nice stuff. I run windows tho, not sure if you can do the same for macs
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
ya actually. the toneport isnt that expensive, but it gives me a lot more control. Its a better clean sound, lower latency, better quality. You can also hook up pedals infront of it, unlike directly going into your computer.
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

cool, lemme know what you think of it
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell