i just celebrated my 2 year anniversary as a guitarist and i still have a problem handling my acoustic guitar. everytime i try to play power chords, my thumb starts to hurt and i'm not even pushing too hard. i have no problem with my les paul jr. whatsoever. is it because my acoustic's fat neck or is it me?
::type
happend to me. just means ur not using it enough. just keep pushing urself a little after it hurts and eventually it will be childs play.
I think its your acoustic guitars fat neck because i had the same problem myself.My girlfriend had an ibanez acoustic that later became basicly mine and it has a really fat neck and my hand would get tired way quicker playing that beast of a neck then my dean razorbacks beautiful neck or even my b.c. richs thick neck.
yea I have been playing for the same ammount of time and ive been getting hand cramps and my thumb starts to hurt, but its with any guitar. i think its from playing alot, but it should stop after awhile like mine did. try playing with your accoustic a little more to get you hand used to the bigger neck and it wont hurt as much and you will also be able to fly around ur other guitar.
strengthen up. if you dont usually play acoustic youll get more sore on it. especially if its cheap and has high action
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
woot!!two year and still hurt??yeah coz electric guitar are not so tension for the string...u should exercise ur finger like gripping tennis ball until it explode or sumthin!!!
'Its Better To Burn Out Than Fade Away'

Strat Copy
Marshall VS15R
Boss ME-33
i used to play master of puppets on my acoustic. did nothing to my thumb, but my fingers had neat little black furrows in them that took months to go.
Quote by ApihBlind
woot!!two year and still hurt??yeah coz electric guitar are not so tension for the string...u should exercise ur finger like gripping tennis ball until it explode or sumthin!!!

I just went to guitar center the other day and i completely forget about buying those strengthening golf balls..
Quote by HelpMeImHungry
strengthen up. if you dont usually play acoustic youll get more sore on it. especially if its cheap and has high action

i'll try to lower the action and see what happens. it doesn't really happen everyday though. there are days when my hands are weak and can't seem to press properly.
i got another question, does it affect you're guitar playing when it's cold?
Quote by punkrox101
i'll try to lower the action and see what happens. it doesn't really happen everyday though. there are days when my hands are weak and can't seem to press properly.
i got another question, does it affect you're guitar playing when it's cold?

Of course it affects your guitar playing when it's cold. Your fingers will be retardedly slow! Go out in the cold, freeze your hands, come back in and play guitar! :P
Quote by sektor47
Of course it affects your guitar playing when it's cold. Your fingers will be retardedly slow! Go out in the cold, freeze your hands, come back in and play guitar! :P

doh! that seemed obvious. pretty stupid of me to ask.
It means you doesnt play that much on the acoustic keep playing it hurts in the beggining but you'll get used to it :P Just keep playing!
I had the same problem when I started out. After 4months of playing and terrible cramps and blisters, I switched from 12gauge strings to 11gauge and the result was amazing.