I have a friend that works at the movie theatre, and they said that they wouldnt get paid time and a half, because time and a half was only for employees that came in before 6 o' clock. Like whoever came in before 6 got the time and a half and if they came in after they didnt, but after 6 is when it got packed.

Does this seem ethical or right at all?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
i work at stater bros and they only paid more by hire date. which seems more practical than what your saying.
No like time and a half only for Holidays, so what management is saying is that Thanksgiving is only from 10am-6pm.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
When I worked at the movie theatre, It was explained to me that because its techincally the entertainment industry (in the same field as movie studios and such) they are exempt from paying overtime. That might be total bs, but that was thier rationale.

I was only payed overtime if I worked Christmas, New Years, and Thanksgiving ( I might be missing a few)

Iceman Edit: In retrospect, that job really screwed me over in school, and the management was really adept at exploiting the youth, but I had some pretty good times.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Last edited by iceman_8319 at Nov 23, 2007,
That's bullsh*t. If you work on a holiday you get time and a half regardless of when you come in. I know as a friend of mine worked at a movie theater on holidays and got time and a half as that's what's required. What's happening here is your friend is being screwed over cause him and his fellow employees are too stupid to know their rights as workers.
that doesn't make much sense..

in canada, overtime laws differ from province to province, but if you do more than 8 hours in one day, you are entitled to overtime. (eg: 9 hours day, 1 of those hours is overtime)

on holidays you are payed an averaged amount of hours you'd normally make in day if you DO NOT work that day (meaning, payed day off). if you do work on a holiday, then you normally get time and a half.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Well here the days nobody wants to work, or gets off as a public holiday, are all paid time and half, so Thanksgiving (if we had it!) would be time and half because otherwise no-one would work it.

I can imagine there'll be no-one there after 6.
Sucks to be him, I get paid double on holidays and when I go over forty hours.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Sucks to be him, I get paid double on holidays and when I go over forty hours.

Sucks to be me.

I get paid a salary, so even when I put extra time in, it usually isn't noticed....

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
salary is just another word for "overtime without pay" XD
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
You do realise that its up to the company to pay overtime or not (asin time and a half or double time) if you agree to work extra.
Does he still have his contract?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Kivarenn82
salary is just another word for "overtime without pay" XD

Awesome man!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Does he still have his contract?

My friend just started like 3 weeks ago, and its a part time job so Im not sure.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3