GAS-728
0 0%
JMP Drive
2 4%
Other - please specify!
6 13%
Voters: 46.
Page 1 of 2
so, lately i've been terribly G.A.S.ing for a new OD for my soon to be ac30 (vox that is...)

i've come across multiple great overdrives, can't possibly try them all out mainly because 1) they're all pretty much custom and 2) german music stores pretty much suck

so im relying on you, UG!

the ones i have looked at up to now are

1) Fulltone OCD
2) Z.Vex Box of Rock
3) Rodenberg GAS 728 - this is a hotrod ts-808 paired with a clean boost (there are detailed sound descriptions of each pedal on the website too)
4) Real Guitars JMP Drive - Haven't found a link to this yet, its basically a jmp (plexi)/jcm800 in a box
5) this is where you come into play

i basically want a nice creamy blues OD, which can go up to a tad more gain (like the box of rock for example)
oh, and i know, ac30+RM=heaven, but i'll have a rangemaster clone soon

budget doesn't matter, im gonna have to save up for any pedal anyway

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by hendriko at Nov 23, 2007,
if you don't care about spending quite a bit of money on preamp tubes, make a booster. crank the **** out of yo 12AX7z. lol.

i'd say either a Tonebender MKII (Fuzz) which sounds like a cranked marshall (seriously) or wait till i can verify the old crazy dave.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^yes indeed...old crazy dave...didnt think of that

what im gonna do though is get an ocd then anyway...to compare

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
^yes indeed...old crazy dave...didnt think of that

what im gonna do though is get an ocd then anyway...to compare

i was thinking of that too lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by hendriko
so, lately i've been terribly G.A.S.ing for a new OD for my soon to be ac30 (vox that is...)

i've come across multiple great overdrives, can't possibly try them all out mainly because 1) they're all pretty much custom and 2) german music stores pretty much suck

so im relying on you, UG!

the ones i have looked at up to now are

1) Fulltone OCD
2) Z.Vex Box of Rock
3) Rodenberg GAS 728 - this is a hotrod ts-808 paired with a clean boost (there are detailed sound descriptions of each pedal on the website too)
4) Real Guitars JMP Drive - Haven't found a link to this yet, its basically a jmp-45/jcm800 in a box
5) this is where you come into play

i basically want a nice creamy blues OD, which can go up to a tad more gain (like the box of rock for example)
oh, and i know, ac30+RM=heaven, but i'll have a rangemaster clone soon

budget doesn't matter, im gonna have to save up for any pedal anyway

Thomann hardly suck.

Probably go with the Fulltone OCD, really high-quality stuff.
Fulltone stuff is kinda hard to get outside the US, unless you get is on ebay, which is great.

They're up to version 4 for the ocd too, btw.

Another incredible flexible OD is an MI Audio Tubezone, very big sounding, and lots of control over your tone. The OCD has a lot of gain for an OD though, so mabe that might be what you're looking for.

My current favorite OD is the Cochrane Timmy/Tim. It can do a COMLETELY clean clean boost, as well as add gain and shape tone. The TIM version includes an effects loop. The gain is very crisp and warm when it's on, definitely perfect for that bluesy tone you're after. If you're gonna go all the way? Why not get a zendrive? They are pretty godly, but that's my opinion. They're easy on the eyes too.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^finally someone else who loves paul cochrane's timmy. i love it. really preserves your amp's tone, very clear, and can add quite a bit of grit...though not as much as some higher gain od's.
blackstar HT-DRIVE

its got a 12ax7 type valve in it running at 300 volts and its gorgeous to look at and to listen to.

i love mine.
Thank you please.
Quote by deadlydunc
blackstar HT-DRIVE

its got a 12ax7 type valve in it running at 300 volts and its gorgeous to look at and to listen to.

i love mine.

ive heard those are good from a guitar mag but ive never actually heard one.
Quote by climhazzard
^finally someone else who loves paul cochrane's timmy. i love it. really preserves your amp's tone, very clear, and can add quite a bit of grit...though not as much as some higher gain od's.

What do you mean, finally? There's loads of people round here who love a Timmy.

hendriko, check out a Lovepedal Eternity. You know you want to
Quote by webbtje
Thomann hardly suck.

they dont have most of that custom stuff, no
and the store itself is really ****en far away from where i live, so..yea
thats what i meant, no chance to try them all out at once

Quote by Reincaster
Fulltone stuff is kinda hard to get outside the US, unless you get is on ebay, which is great.

They're up to version 4 for the ocd too, btw.

if im gonna get the ocd im gonna get it while im in california (makes it cheaper for me too) so that wont be a problem

Quote by Reincaster
Another incredible flexible OD is an MI Audio Tubezone, very big sounding, and lots of control over your tone. The OCD has a lot of gain for an OD though, so mabe that might be what you're looking for.

My current favorite OD is the Cochrane Timmy/Tim. It can do a COMLETELY clean clean boost, as well as add gain and shape tone. The TIM version includes an effects loop. The gain is very crisp and warm when it's on, definitely perfect for that bluesy tone you're after. If you're gonna go all the way? Why not get a zendrive? They are pretty godly, but that's my opinion. They're easy on the eyes too.

sounds interesting - i cant find a link for the timmy/tim though do you have anything for that?
and why would the zendrive be "all the way"?

Quote by Don_Humpador

uhh...alright
been looking at that before, but 300 bucks sure is a lot for a pedal...but like i said, if it really is the best, i can save up...so anymore insight on that would be appreciated

Quote by deadlydunc
blackstar HT-DRIVE

i love mine.

mhm, i have a test of that in some gear mag...gonna read that

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I have three Eternintys. It is IMO it is THE OD to have. I have two on my main board and one that I use as a backup or for traveling over to friends for smaller jam sessions.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
are you made of money?

3! eternities?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by Molsons Golden
I have three Eternintys. It is IMO it is THE OD to have. I have two on my main board and one that I use as a backup or for traveling over to friends for smaller jam sessions.

Sure, it's a fantastic OD, but instead of 3 of the same pedals you could of got all sorts of tonal beauty and differences.
I voted OCD, since I have tried an own it. I have gas for no other OD pedal since I got, it's the best IMO.

Also it's not JMP-45, it's either the JTM-45 or the Plexi/ metalface Super Leads which were called JMP.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^damn i knew there was something wrong with that..its jmp, so plexi, not jtm-45

sorry

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko

sounds interesting - i cant find a link for the timmy/tim though do you have anything for that?
and why would the zendrive be "all the way"?

It's one of those uber pedals, the zendrive.. I was on the wait list for 8 months before I finally got one, and it sounds like secks.

As for the tims and timmy's, you've gotta call him for it O.o

615-896-8555, Tennessee.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Menatone red snapper.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

OCD surpasses the box of rock IMO, it's way more versatile, besides the boost on the BOR. I'd get an OCD.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
If you look at my profile Don, you will see that I do have pleanty of tonal differences alavailible that they are more the most part beauties.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by Reincaster
It's one of those uber pedals, the zendrive.. I was on the wait list for 8 months before I finally got one, and it sounds like secks.

615-896-8555, Tennessee.

lol, alright...umm...might be expensive from germany...

8 months wait? did you have to pay up front - i bet huh?

could you...if youre very very kind...write up some more extensive reviews of some higher end ODs youve tried? you seem to have tried a lot...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by Reincaster

615-896-8555, Tennessee.

The Zendrive isn't worth all the fuss, IMO. At least not with singlecoils.
^well i have a LP so that wont be a problem

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

IMO the best overdrive I've used is the digitech bad monkey. Though it's cheap, it has some amazing clean overdrive and even low level distortion at high levels. I use it with my silvertone tube amp and get a really good SRV tone at about half level overdrive.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
^mhm..just a question, have you tried any of the pedals i mentioned in the thread? just wondering, no insult to the bad monkey or you!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

The bad monkey, like 80 percent of OD's, is a tubescreamer with a few differences.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
mhm...nobody likes the GAS pedal? it was my favorite before i started the thread...

eternity sounds nice after a few tests i read, so does the zendrive...theyre just sooo expensive

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

hello....o....o....o...o?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

mhm...since noone wants to reply anymore...

i was thinking

box of rock: sounds cool since i really like the angus young type OD (its a jtm-45 modeler kinda at least) but i was wondering if it can get low gain enough for some smokey blues?
zendrive: mhm, dumble sound in a box...sounds sweet! lots of knobs to play with too, but if i can only get the dumble sound...dunno if id want that
eternity: this sounds grreat! except for the price... sure sounds like the right pedal for me, but then again, cant try it
GAS 728: im sure i can try this at least and it does sound nice...modded TS-808 plus great clean booster in one box? wow!

EDIT: OCD: of course, sounds great i hear, price cant be beat!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Last edited by hendriko at Nov 27, 2007,
Quote by Molsons Golden
If you look at my profile Don, you will see that I do have pleanty of tonal differences alavailible that they are more the most part beauties.

Yaaarrr...

Nice uke.

I got one myself recently. I can play 2 chords
I've tried and own the Xotic AC Boost, which is modeled off an AC30 kinda sound (imagine that). It's wonderful for low-med. gain kinda crunch - which I use for blues. Switch it to the neck pup and the sound is warm or thick.

But for balls to the wall, the OCD can' be beat!!!
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
TBH but an AC30 based OD in an AC30 sounds kind of...

Studpid

(if you get what I mean)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Don_Humpador
What do you mean, finally? There's loads of people round here who love a Timmy.

Yeah you do.
My top 5 ODs for vox-style amps:
Eternity
Treble booster
Tonebender (if you get a BBB '07 you can have a bender, treble booster, and fuzz face all in one)
Gaspedals Carb
Crowther Audio Hotcake

There are much better pedals for Vox-style amps than the OCD, IMO.
I've got a Zendrive and a Mosferatu on order, and will probably pick up a box of rock soon, so I'll see how those sound with El84s.
^you better post a looong review of those pedals..please?

oh, and you need to tell me where you get all that money from

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Page 1 of 2