Hey everyone,

So today i went out and bought a nice black leather strap for my Epiphone G400. I put it on the guitar as soon as i got home and started playing standing up which i have never tried before and i noticed two things.

1) Playing whilst standing up is kinda harder.
2) The neck on my guitar is heavy and since the front strap button on all SG's is on the back of the guitar and the guitar "swings" a little towards the neck the neck.

After like 10 minutes of playing whilst standing up i have this weird feeling in my shoulder. Is this just a beginner thing or is my guitar just heavy ?
OK, to answer one of your questions, playing while standing does take a bit of time to get used to.

2) The neck on my guitar is heavy and since the front strap button on all SG's is on the back of the guitar and the guitar "swings" a little towards the neck the neck.

What are you trying to say???? That the neck swings down? If that's the case, then tilt it up. When I play standing, I play with the guitar's neck tilted more or less 45 degrees up.

As for the shoulder thing, I don't know what to say sorry.
I don't speak out of experience, but epi's and les pauls in general have a heavier neck, that's why the neck swings down, not because the strap buttons are both on the body (look at strats)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

your shoulder hurts because its not used to holding up that kind of weight. just keep playing standing up a little more everyday, and it shouldn't bother you after a while.
Nah its fine if i tilt it up to a comfortable position but if i let my arms go the neck swings down. That wasn't a question, it was just something i noticed.
The SG neck is supposedly neck-heavy.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i have the same problem you do with the shoulder thing, your shoulder justs gets sore from holding the guitar because you have never done that before. once you start standing up all the time, your shoulder wont hurt anymore.
Quote by aznrockerdude
The SG neck is supposedly neck-heavy.

Is this true of Epiphone SGs or SGs in general ?
SGs in general I think. I'm not sure though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
SG's in general...and don't worry about the weight, SG's are about as light a guitar as you can get.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the neck on sg's stick out more than usual, which is why it's upper-fret access is much easier.

just keep playing while standing, adjust it, and you'll get used to it in no time.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Its just the balance of the SG. A strat button lines up with the 12th fret. An SG is at the base of the neck. A LP is at the 16th fret. And SG/LP have heavier headstocks and bigger heavier tuners. So the center of balance is shifted on them. And strats have the nice belly cut on em so they just hang in one spot. The LP doesnt shift as much as an SG does. A wide leather strap makes a LP alot easier to play. The light weight of a SG doesnt help with balance. Less weight in the body is less weight to counter the heavy headstock. But getting used to playing standing its the best way. If you spend several hours playing sitting down your butt will go to sleep.
Quote by crystaldragon75
your shoulder hurts because its not used to holding up that kind of weight. just keep playing standing up a little more everyday, and it shouldn't bother you after a while.

+1
same went for me but a nice strap pad helped too and i still use one with my guitar.
Guess what, im already feeling way better playing standing up. Good thing i got a wide leather strap with a rough underside otherwise it would slide off way easier.