I got a personal problem with my bandmates. The lead guitarist and drummer wants to use cubase for the songs we have created and that probably will be released on album next year. They want to use it for adding drums, because the drummers drumset isn't good enough, apparently.

I think it's a load of crap, for me it's compeltely fake and unreal to "record" drums with cubase. It seems like being lazy, but they got another oppinion. They say that many bands use it, many famous bands, and it's a recording tool meant to be used this way. Perhaps it is ture, but I still don't get them; How did they manage to get albums in the 60's, 70's, 80's? They didn't have cubase, or did they? It seems to me my bandmates just wanna create an album to get it out, not for it having any sentimental value, and at least I can't get that from having recorded with cubase.

I guess it's pretty riddiculous to get all pissed off at this kind of thing, but it's what I feel about it. Being lazy.

If they really cared, wouldn't they bother to hire a studio drumset? Or if that's too expensive, just borrow someones? What's the truth around cubase recording?
synthesized drums will sound very out of place if you are recording metal or blues flavored rock. get his drums tuned and put some new heads on them, and use decent microphones, rent some if neccessary. cubase is better for audio recording rather midi anyways
Quote by Doolittle
Do it for Hedwig!
wow
i agree with you
a drumset is a drumset
if your drummer is good enough it shouldn't matter how good of a drumset it is
it probably comes down to the fact the band is going to be judged by what they hear on the album, and they won't understand the difference, they'll only hear a subpar recording of drums or completely clean sounding drums. the drummer just doesn't want his ability to be misjudged by ignorant listeners. He probably figures one day he'll be able to afford better equipment and it'll be different but in the meantime he doesn't want to be misjudged.
It just seems to me to be abit half-arsed to release something official without real drums. I have spoken with them about it and they haven't indicated that they'll record with real drums. The whole situation is stupid. I don't want to have things I'm not happy with in my bag later on, I don't want to have those demons and thoughts like "ah crap, I should have never participated on that album, now I'm regretting it all my life". They even tried putting bass with cubase (my instrument in the band), because the lead guitarist took upon himself to do a song made by stuff that took more than 30 min for me to learn. Although I said to them that if they do that without asking me first, then I'm out.

It's not a good style. I am extremely unhappy with their attitude, and I don't know how to tackel it because the rythm guitarist doesn't mind it, and they both agree, so I am basically the only one thinking otherwise.

I don't want to be an arse about it, but I don't want to create music or participate in something I am unhappy with. Does anyone have any idea of how to tell them about it?

EDIT: Here is two tracks. "Solo Sample" is by the real drumset, and "Epic Space" is by cubase. Judge for youselves.

http://www.myspace.com/misshapedbiscuits
Last edited by Strati at Nov 23, 2007,
lol id be out already if the band wanted to artificially make half of the music. thats pop music . im metal

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
^agreed, most midi drums sound pretty **** :S. It's fine to use them to figure something out (i.e. backing tracks and junk).. but... yeah... i wouldn't use them to release a cd..
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
Cubase by itself isn't actually evil. It can do some good things with your tracks after the fact. But he's actually MIDI sequencing your band's music? That's bad...
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
If they want to use fake drums tell them to check out Drum Kit From Hell. It was used on the Meshuggah album "Catch 33" (which is an unbelievably awesome album, by the way).
well cubase can do pretty much everything, and can be used in any genre, but combining it with a real drumkit is gonna make one of them sound out of place..

you can however us it to mix and master your tracks, in a cheap way.. it'll take quite some time to get good at this though..

if they do convince you to combine the drums with cubase, import the drum track, and slice it into several ones, now you can do anything with them, add some beats here and there, and change their sound, you'll be amazed at the possibilities..

but i don't recommend the midi stuff .. but that was probably clear by now
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
The thing that surprises me the most is that your drummer is ok with it.

If you don't have a drummer, or you're going for a more industrial sound, I understand sequencing drums, but the sequencing would probably sound out of place in this instance.

It's understandable that you'd want a "clean" drum sound, but it's not too easy to make sequenced drums sound convincing.

Also, you would be missing out on interaction; sequenced drums cannot react to your playing, which will affect your recording. If your drummer is good, this lack of interaction probably isn't for the best.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
It's clear to me now MIDI sound doesn't do very well compared to the real thing. We had a 6 hours session today and I mentioned it, and even though they don't want to talk about it (they're abit of ignorant people many times), we got plans on getting a new drumset (well, the drummer has), and we will probably record stuff with it later on, it seems.

Although we use cubase for now, and I hope we'll use the real ones later. Hopefully he'll get a good drumset this time.
Dudes, Cubase is just a recording program. You can screw with (or completely fabricate like in this case) the music like some bands/artists do, or you can just use it like a very versatile tape machine and mixer. You can record real drums on Cubase if you want to, and it's not going to sound "out of place". Just thought I'd clear all that up.
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
Dudes, Cubase is just a recording program. You can screw with (or completely fabricate like in this case) the music like some bands/artists do, or you can just use it like a very versatile tape machine and mixer. You can record real drums on Cubase if you want to, and it's not going to sound "out of place". Just thought I'd clear all that up.

They're not talking about real drums. His band wants to use Cubase to MIDI the bass (his instrument) and drums in their songs on their album rather than actually recording it.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
They're not talking about real drums. His band wants to use Cubase to MIDI the bass (his instrument) and drums in their songs on their album rather than actually recording it.

They want to but they're not going to MIDI the bass. But the drums is true.
If you do go through with this, there are a lot better options for drums than cubase.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker

I understand, but some other people don't seem to...
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by tjg92
If they want to use fake drums tell them to check out Drum Kit From Hell. It was used on the Meshuggah album "Catch 33" (which is an unbelievably awesome album, by the way).

i use this program, its the only thing i've ever found that sounds like real drums (all the songs on my page i used mtv music generator, DFH actually sounds like real drums) but i gotta say theres no way i'd use it if i had a real drummer. tell your bandmates to stop sucking and record their own d@mn parts. someone else said it, rent a damn drum kit. between the time and effort it takes to get a good program and midi it out it'd be a hundred times easier to just rent a good kit and record it (it takes me on average 20 + hours to record a 4-5 minute song w/ out a midi keyboard, i have to draw every damn note it, its boring monotonous and incredibly time consuming and i only do it cuz after its done comes the fun part of recording the additional instruments)
fake drums are good enough. In the 70's and 80's they simply just used good gear. And expensive. Like still, but yeah Drumkit from Hell is good ^_^
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black