Hello. i was wondering why my amp is so staticky.. i replaced sovtech preamp tubes.. with Groove tubes ST-12ax7c tubes 2 of them... NOw my amp sounds staticky is becuz of my powertubes..??? i haven't replaced them my powertubes are dumb sovtech tubes.. any power tube suggestions..???
lol. Groove Tubes are rebranded Sovteks. and you'll notice some hiss when you switch preamp tubes to different gain. maybe the one you got was a bit higher gain?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by life_777
Hello. i was wondering why my amp is so staticky.. i replaced sovtech preamp tubes.. with Groove tubes ST-12ax7c tubes 2 of them... NOw my amp sounds staticky is becuz of my powertubes..??? i haven't replaced them my powertubes are dumb sovtech tubes.. any power tube suggestions..???

Wow, you just owned yourself
I've heard of biasing amps but I dont know enough about it to tell you....
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
ha. learn to type and maybe speak some proper english, and I'll think about helping you out.
Quote by backtothe70s
I've heard of biasing amps but I dont know enough about it to tell you....

biasing is most of the time when you get a new powertube. for preamp tubes, it wouldn't matter too much, so you can pretty much pull the old one out and stick in the new one and start playing. although you 'can' technically bias preamp tubes too, but it's uncommon.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the guy at guitar center. told me that the tungsol 12ax7 were just like the groove tube St-12ax7c just different names it removed the hiss from the distortion nob and stuff. . But the new hiss i got comes from when i do a chord on 2nd and 3rd string and i think 4th string also but only in chords. why is that??
^the guy at guitar center scammed you.

tungsol is an awesome tube, but sovteks are crappy tubes. and groove tubes are tested sovteks. so are marshall, fender, crate, peavey tubes that come stock.

u get "hiss" from a chord??? how's that happen?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
don't know probably power tubes. i haven't replaced them... so should i give back my groove tubes its already installed in should i give it back and buy tung sols???
yea. how much were the groove tubes? $40 a pair?

tungsols usually go for $15 for one, with standard testing included. JJ powertubes are like $15 a pair.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i bought them for $10 each and i fixed the chord problem the string were just out of tune just by a little. but never mind the 12ax7's. Now i need power tube to control reverb and other settings. is there any good power tubes that are $30 and under????
Last edited by life_777 at Nov 23, 2007,
lol okay man. how many powertubes do u need? and what type of powertubes?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
only 2 and i want one's that could match my ST-12ax7c..Also im looking them for like $12-$25 price range

-Thx for helping EC..
those aren't powertubes. 12AX7s are preamp tubes. what kind of powertubes does your amp currently have? you can't put in a noval tube when you got an octal socket.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
My current amp has dumb sovtech powertubes. would like to replace them it has much static sound which i don't like. any good tubes out there that are in the $12-$26 price range???