Page 1 of 2
I recently found my violin's birth date, etched very slightly into the back. It says "AR- 1907".

My violin is 100 years old this year!!

should I have a party?

and to the point of the thread- did you buy your instruments new, or is their origin shrouded in mystery, as is mine? I realise a lot of people here will have factory manufactured instruments, but there must be some people with handbuilt ones?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
My P-bass is probably about 1 1/2 years old.

My Fernandes Fretless, well...I have no clue how old it is. It could be 30 for all I know.
The.
My acoustic is a 1981 Alverez Yari. Older than me, at least. ^_^
And I mean that in the best possible way.
2004 and newer
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
My Squier is about 3 years old now I suppose.

The Les Paul is maybe 2 years old...all of it was bought new.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
My Les Paul is from '58, and my Hummingbird from 04 I think.
Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Hmm, it says that Fender released my guitar on 1/20/04.

Wewt lol. My girlfriend's birthday!!!
Quote by LiamGallagher
My Les Paul is from '58, and my Hummingbird from 04 I think.

wow, that must have set you back a bit.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
My epi SG 310 is over 150 years old.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I have 2 Gib$ons, a Melody Maker and a LP junior. Both are over 40 years old.
The others are much more recent.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
my strat is about 3 or 4 years old. my les paul is a little more than a year. its the same age as my fender hrd. my fender bassman is a little over 30 years. and im not sure about my baby, its a gibson es 175. ive been researching it, it was made somewhere between the years 1956-1960.
my guitar is pretty old.. its a silvertone.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
my guitar is 5 years old. Handbuilt. and aging like a fine fine wine.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
some of it is very old.... some quite new
My Guitars.....
Ibanez custom Rg 5 EX 1
Ibanez S-classic(SCA220)
Ibanez Js1000 Limited Edition
B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock
Dean Dime-O-Flage
Fender Telecaster
Fender custom Strat
Gibson SG
Jackson RR5
Gibson Les Paul
VG Strat
All electrics less than 2 years old, and my classical is about 23, I think.
My Bass is quite recent.
My Classical guitar is around 40 years old, I got it from an aunt.
My mom's Cello is over 60 years old, I'm not sure how much though, as much as I know it could have been built at 1900'.
We also have a piano which is around 20 years old.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
My Acoustic: like 30 years old.
My Electric one: 1.5 years old.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

My first guitar was my dad's first guitar, it's a little strat style ibanez and is well over 20 years old.

Still glittery.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
ok the thing is is I dont know. i got it for my 14 bday,its a charvette, and on the pickups it says charvelle/jackson. its brite red and its pretty sweet, ill put pix up soon mebe does anyone here know i think it mite be early 80s
i have a ukulele that was made in 1928...
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
Epi SG was built in 2004, bought late 2005
Amp was about the same but bought before it

Don't give a monkey's about my starter
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Mine was made just last year.

Unlike instruments like the violin or cello, the acoustic guitar is an instrument that will definitely lose it's sound over time. Especially the more modern-made kinds of guitar.
my epi LP: bout 2 i would guess
my gibson classical: 50 next year
my aunt's old "California trio" cruddy classical: around 30
my Ampeg Jet: around 47

haha... my trombone... who knows, but OLD
If its not fender than whatever]
My Charvel Jackson is around 20-25 years old, I'm not sure. I should email Jackson the serial number, apparently they tell you the information about it if you do that. Would be nice to know how/when it was made. All I know is I bought it off some guy in an incredibly sorry state just over a year ago. Plays lovely though.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by The Madcap
Mine was made just last year.

Unlike instruments like the violin or cello, the acoustic guitar is an instrument that will definitely lose it's sound over time. Especially the more modern-made kinds of guitar.

i'd dispute that. in a non confrontational way.

i play a eko 1960s(ish) acoustic, my dad bought it from a second hand shop on the oxford road in reading in the early/mid 70s and its the sweetest damn tone on any acoustic ive ever played, old or new. i prefer old guitars, i almost blew all my money on a 1960s harmony hollowbody eleccy a couple of months ago. lets just say i was in town for less than week and i can only withdraw £200 a day from my bank account, so it never worked out.
My Peavey V-type is approximately 5 yrs old, and my Ventura pre-lawsuit-era LP copy is from '77.
Mustang: 13 years
Ibanez acoustic: 5 years
Strat: 9 years
Airline: 1 year
Wesley: 2 years
Freshman acoustic: 2 years
CSI Les Paul: 37 years
Martin acoustic: 1 year
Quote by yourbestmistake
i'd dispute that. in a non confrontational way.

i play a eko 1960s(ish) acoustic, my dad bought it from a second hand shop on the oxford road in reading in the early/mid 70s and its the sweetest damn tone on any acoustic ive ever played, old or new. i prefer old guitars, i almost blew all my money on a 1960s harmony hollowbody eleccy a couple of months ago. lets just say i was in town for less than week and i can only withdraw £200 a day from my bank account, so it never worked out.
Well, it might differ. I know that the woods used in many classical guitars sound excellent, but will slowly deteriorate. The word I've recieved is that John Williams buys a new guitar every two or three years, and his cost well over $15,000 dollars. He plays smallmans, which are known to be some of the best in the world, but they don't last long.

When I posted that, I didn't think wood on steel-strings or anything besides classical were that different, but I'm probably wrong.
mex strat : 7 years
ibanez lukather sig: nearing 30 years i think?
eko twelve string: old as the hills , i have no idea
in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
My bass is a year or two old, bought only slightly used.

My Saxophone is only a month old.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
My grandpa's clarinet which I learned to play on is was from a car boot sale.. of mystery
That was a rare post..

My band on:myspace facebook UG
Leeds '07 '08 '09!
I don't know the answer, or have anything funny to say, but dude that is one sweet Bulbasaur avatar
Quote by The Madcap
Well, it might differ. I know that the woods used in many classical guitars sound excellent, but will slowly deteriorate. The word I've recieved is that John Williams buys a new guitar every two or three years, and his cost well over $15,000 dollars. He plays smallmans, which are known to be some of the best in the world, but they don't last long.

When I posted that, I didn't think wood on steel-strings or anything besides classical were that different, but I'm probably wrong.

hey im no expert, but i think that 40-50 years ago steel-strings tended to be made from better quality woods than nowadays simply cos they werent churning so many of the damn things out. the wood of the guitar may be slowly losing its quality but i think theres a lot to be said for decades of love and polishing being put into a guitar compared to something fresh off the shelf.

having said that, youre probably right that at the serious-money end of the scale, new is 'better' technically for tonal quality. but as im personally not in the position to shell out $15000 every other year on a brand new guitar, ill choose the personality, dents, unique tone, memories, worn fretboard and faint smell of JD of my eko every time, cos theres something a little bit sentimental about old guitars.
first guitar i got was a little black electric yamaha, it used 2 b my daddies, and i think it's about 8 or 9 years old.

my jazzmaster was made in 2004 i think, coz all the paperwork etc with it has that date, but i bought it 6 months ago from the store, so 4 and a half?

my new maton...not even a year lol
Page 1 of 2